Share your brilliant mind - If not Hackett, then who?

JETS SB

Hackett is fine IF and only IF Rodgers comes along. Don't believe the tainted BS, Zach is not the answer nor will they keep him long term. His days are limited, they will keep him next year as a back up and move forward.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

I think I would have preferred keeping MLF and hiring Hackett to the Knapp role. Hackett is not a good OC, but seems to handle the interpersonal aspect of coaching well. 

Would have to agree with this take as the available OC’s with the exception of Monken really aren’t all that exciting

MLF’s system had guys open and when the Jets had average QB play they were able to move the ball. Now MLF’s play selection especially the empty backfield inside the 20 yard line ?left a lot to be desired but to me it proved it can be a winning offense with just competent QB play 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Seems like there are brilliant General Manager wannabees here, who hate the Hackett hire. Who would YOU have hired and why? With Hackett's obvious connection to Aaron Rodgers and what we are facing in a QB search and considering the guys who already turned us down and weren't interested, and our need for an EXPERIENCED OC.

The issue is this ... If Rodgers doesn't come .. is he better than LaFleur.  That is all that matters.

• Upvote 1

The fanbase seemed to want a guy who wasn’t a retread but also had play calling experience and that guy just doesn’t exist. Guy who was closest just got a head coaching job so obviously wasn’t taking the OC job here. 

Not sure who else was going to take the job. And that is why this offseason is going to be a rough one.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So?  

1. I wouldn't have fired MLF.  I don't think he was the problem, Zach (sucking) and White (fragility) and Flacco (check cashing) were.  JD is more to blame than MLF.

2. If I did fire MLF, it would have been part of firing Saleh too, and I would have hired Reich as the new Head Coach, and let him help pick his OC.

I believe Reich > Saleh.

Wake me we get Rodgers, at a cost that won't break the back of the franchise.

lol how would getting rodgers break the back of the franchise? lets say we DO give up 2 first round picks.

we would immediately compete for the AFC championship next 1-2 seasons (as long as he plays)

he would cost us 40m over 2 years

• Upvote 1

i can't help but think milfy was a bigger problem than has been let on.  i think saleh runs his jets by delegating control of the various team elements to the coordinators with a special influence on the dfense.  he let milfy do as he pleased and i think it caused lots of friction between the coaches and the players.  and i'm guessing that benson, who is/was supposed to be a good oline coach, just started to mail it in.  same thing with austin.  this is what happens when the head doesn't have a real grasp of the big picture.

as for hackett, i think it's a good hire.  they needed someone who can get the player's attention right off.  a newbie oc would not fit the role.  i'm sure there will be lots of complaints about the play calling (seems like bill walsh could be calling the plays and there would be complaints) but even his father knew how to play the game.  it'll be refreshing to see an offense that can actually score points.  i also don't think it had anything to do with the potential of rodgers coming to the jets.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it. All the noted candidates were less than inspiring and we were gonna hate whomever they hired. Fact is, this is not an attractive job with so much uncertainty as far as job security. 

Also, we all thought MLF was the next hot shot coordinator that would blossom, and that didn't work. 

I guess I would have leaned more to olson if I had a choice after reading up about the candidates. Not sure he ever wanted to come here. 

7 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Seems like there are brilliant General Manager wannabees here, who hate the Hackett hire. Who would YOU have hired and why? With Hackett's obvious connection to Aaron Rodgers and what we are facing in a QB search and considering the guys who already turned us down and weren't interested, and our need for an EXPERIENCED OC.

I like the hire, it will become epic when A-Rod doesn’t come  here and they ask him why and he says,” Hackett? Never liked that guy!” 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

“Everything the Jets do is good, and you’re all just haters who think you know better.”

There really is no better genre of JN thread than when some guy goes “oh so you think the Jets are stupid, huh??? [scoffs so hard he chokes on his own spit] well if you Einstiens are so smart riddle me this what would you have done” and like a dozen people immediately reply with astute, well-reasoned answers that are way better than whatever the Jets did.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know.   To me, the bigger mistake may have been made before this season.  By most accounts, Lafleur is a good, young offensive mind.  He was hampered by bad QB play, but his play design was good.  He seemed to struggle calling plays in certain situations, tending to get too cute and put too much on the QB in the red zone and short yardage.  He amy become a very good offensive coach, but he was not ready for this gig yet.

Solid young coach, but at 33 years od, with 7 years NFL coaching experiennce, he was not ready for an OC role, especially not without a senior mentor on the staff to support him.  Based on beat writer's reports, he was not a good leader, struggled to relate to some of his players and seemed to have lost the confidence of the locker room.  I can't say moving on from him was a mistake.  

But the timing sucks.  Looking for an OC with no answer on the roster at QB, and a coach and GM on the hot seat is going to limit any team's options.

• Upvote 2

On the surface the Hackett hiring isn't "exciting" but to think he's going
to be the driving force behind our offense is shortsighted.  For a couple
of reasons it looks like Saleh is going to make the offense a collaborative
effort:

- Hackett will be OC

- Carter was hired as OLine coach and Run Game Coordinator

- Whoever comes in as QB coach feels like he'll get the Pass Game Coordinator
title

- And finally Saleh made it clear he's still going to bring in a Senior
Offensive Assistant

So to me those four "minds" will come up with the game plans and differing
viewpoints are always good when innovation is needed

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

effort:

- Hackett will be OC

title

Offensive Assistant

We'll never get a play off on time. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I don't know.   To me, the bigger mistake may have been made before this season.  By most accounts, Lafleur is a good, young offensive mind.  He was hampered by bad QB play, but his play design was good.  He seemed to struggle calling plays in certain situations, tending to get too cute and put too much on the QB in the red zone and short yardage.  He amy become a very good offensive coach, but he was not ready for this gig yet.

Solid young coach, but at 33 years od, with 7 years NFL coaching experiennce, he was not ready for an OC role, especially not without a senior mentor on the staff to support him.  Based on beat writer's reports, he was not a good leader, struggled to relate to some of his players and seemed to have lost the confidence of the locker room.  I can't say moving on from him was a mistake.  

But the timing sucks.  Looking for an OC with no answer on the roster at QB, and a coach and GM on the hot seat is going to limit any team's options.

Good points, and once again points out how Woody missed the boat  on getting a real coach in here. When the MLF/Zach stuff came out, and Woody was totally sold that he feels Zach can still be successful, he should have cleaned house, sent Salah and all his guys packing, and give Frank Reich a blank check. What they are doing now will be nothing short of a disaster.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Hackettt was horrible last year, Hackett was part of the utterly fail jax regime that made Lawrence look like a bust.

Monken was my first choice, other guys like Joe Bray were better.

You do not pick an oc to appease a player who is not in your possession.

Hackett went to GB well before Lawrence came along. I think you are thinking of Bevell

I would not pretend to know who they should have hired over whom else.  Looking at team stats and applying that to OC is a little silly to me because there are 1000 other reasons why stats were good/bad for a given years in these categories they throwing out to show an OC was good or not.  Its a joke.

However, I would have fired MLF well before they did, kicked him to curb, rubbed his face in Becton's big beautiful ass, then ask him to give back all his salary paid to date.

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

effort:

- Hackett will be OC

title

Offensive Assistant

That structure isn't uncommon nowadays. Most OL coaches are also the run game coordinator

John Benton

New York Jets (2021–2022)
Offensive line coach & run game coordinator

MLF was pass game coordinator & McDaniel was run game coordinator when they left SF