OPTION C: KYLER MURRAY

Paradis

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I also don't think the Cardinals eat a $100m dead cap hit to trade a QB when his stock is at his lowest. IMO Kyler will show he is healthy at the end of next year and the Cards will trade him and select Caleb Williams.

The Cap hit is fine this year.  For the next five years it would be over $45 million a year, with no chance of getting out until 2027.  He isn't going anywhere.  Sucks to tie yourself to a QB who didn't do anything worthy of such a contract when you signed him.

• Upvote 1

How is an injured QB even an option?  He's not going to play until the end of the 2023 season and if he plays sooner, he won't run. Without his legs, Murray is not a good QB.  He is not a student of the game and is not an effective passer.  He's a terrible choice and the Cards are screwed because of him.  Pass.  

• Upvote 1

And can we stop with the Hopkins talk?  He's too old for this team.  He will be 31 next season.  Old receivers who produce are extremely rare in today's NFL.  Too many people on this board are focused on past production and reputations rather than potential future performance.  His last injury free good season was 2020.  I'd rather draft a receiver than give money to a fossil like Hopkins. People are frustrated with Corey Davis, yet want to spend money on old guys with similar injury histories.  Receivers in the same category include Keenan Allen.   smh

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is the kind of desperate move we have to avoid, IMO. 

not the biggest fan of his game and he’s coming off a major injury. 

hard pass for me 

The entire QB search smacks of desperation. Chasing a 39 year old QB contemplating retirement is a desperation move.  Getting into a bidding war for Carr would be desperation.  Signing guys like Garappolo and Tannehill who are being released by good teams is a desperate move.  That is what happens when the GM and Coach are fighting to keep their jobs.  They do desperate things that are inferior short term solutions to long term issues.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The entire QB search smacks of desperation. Chasing a 39 year old QB contemplating retirement is a desperation move.  Getting into a bidding war for Carr would be desperation.  Signing guys like Garappolo and Tannehill who are being released by good teams is a desperate move.  That is what happens when the GM and Coach are fighting to keep their jobs.  They do desperate things that are inferior short term solutions to long term issues.

I agree about Rodgers - I think some of those moves would be better than others - but I agree with your larger point that we are desperate and in some trouble. 

42 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I also don't think the Cardinals eat a $100m dead cap hit to trade a QB when his stock is at his lowest. IMO Kyler will show he is healthy at the end of next year and the Cards will trade him and select Caleb Williams.

How would they eat a $100MM dead cap hit? They haven't paid him $100MM yet for his whole career, so far as I can tell. 

I think you may be counting what it costs to cut him, not to trade him (let alone trade him before his bonus is due this March, to make it payable by a different team).

• Upvote 1

pass on the guy whose team found it necessary to include a "homework clause" in his contract that they later removed ...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/25/kyler-murray-admitted-last-year-that-he-doesnt-spend-extensive-time-watching-film/

Monday’s stunning news that the new contract for Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray contains a homework clause wasn’t the product of randomness or coincidence. The Cardinals didn’t mandate a weekly commitment to engage in at least four hours of independent study if they believed Murray already was doing that, and then some.

The Cardinals, who made Murray look bad for not studying enough and themselves look worse for paying him that much money even though they think he doesn’t study enough, added that clause because they believed they needed it. They believed it based on, presumably, his actions through three years with the team.

Or, as the case may be, his admissions. In a New York Times profile from last December, Murray admitted that he doesn’t burn the midnight oil while studying pigskin celluloid.

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said, via Sarah Kezele of 98.7 Arizona Sports. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

Apparently, he wasn’t sitting there for four hours. In a week. If he were, the “Independent Study” clause would be meaningless.

Some have tried to downplay the development. That’s a mistake, a misreading of the circumstances that led to the clause. It’s a huge deal. It’s an unprecedented acknowledgement by an NFL team that, as it makes a long-term commitment with more than $100 million fully guaranteed at signing to a franchise quarterback, the quarterback needs the possibility of losing all guarantees to get him to do what any true franchise quarterback will do without being told or even asked — study at least four hours per week on his own in advance of the next game.

Personally, I don’t know how much Kyler Murray does or doesn’t study. But I know this. The clause was put in the contract because the Cardinals have reason to believe that, without it, he may not study enough.

https://www.insider.com/kyler-murray-contract-homework-clause-removed-cardinals-2022-7#:~:text=The Arizona Cardinals have removed,the damage is already done.

4 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I miss the good old days when the Cardinals were playing 3d chess by selecting Murray

They probably did worse than we did with Josh Rosen and Kyler Murray.  Yes they won some games with Kyler but they also got suckered into a big contract that they're stuck with.  I like our situation better (at the moment, at least).

• Upvote 1