Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Massive overpay. We gave up a quality 2nd a swap of 1st rounders which equates to a 3rd rounder in value. And what will 99% be a 1st rounder in 2024. All with no protection if he retires after this next season.

So we traded a 2nd, 3rd, and a 2024 1st for a 39 year old for possibly only 1 year.

Awful deal. JD lost big time.

lol. The swap from 13 to 15 is not a third rounder... thats off of the Jimmy Johnson chart which no one uses anymore. Look at the modern charts - here is one: https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart

The drop from 13 to 15 is 20% of the swap of our 6th to their 5 - which means just on the swaps we actually did better. 

We gave up 42 and a 2023 1 assuming AR doesn't get hurt. Great? Nah but basically what everyone thought. We reportedly wanted comp for Rodgers retiring and getting back a 2025 pick - but instead we use 65% of snaps - which protects us if AR blows out a knee and we are in position to draft a QB. 

Its a second rounder and either an early second or late first next year. 

If Rodgers retires after one year - I agree its a bad deal - but that was ALWAYS going to be the case. I'll assume AR got the Jets comfortable he intends to play two years. 

• Upvote 1

My only issue with the trade is that I would have liked stricter conditions on the 2024 first. I like that we are protected against the Vinny torn achilles nightmare scenario, but I wanted something tied to our record or performance for the 2024 pick.

Either way, on paper, we have a top 5 defense with Aaaron Rodgers at QB. We should be entertaining, at the very least. So I'm happy. 

Playoffs or everyone gets fired. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For likely one year only, with this salary/cap effect:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/aaron-rodgers-3745/

Rodgers said more than once this offseason alone that he knows his deal would need to be reworked and he's willing. 

lets just hold up on all the til wee see the $ and who knows maybe Rodgers told JD he'd do at least 2 seasons .. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Honestly expected a second this year and a second that could escalate to a first next year. This isn’t that much different. Swapping firsts is about the equivalent of the 100th pick in the draft, and they swap up from the late sixth to the late fifth this year. Hard to complain, though I’m not surprised to see them. 

The swap this year is annoying, but really, you have to believe the jets are ok with whichever tackle falls to 15 and the packers probably aren’t taking a T anyway

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is the trade is have that has been thrown out there all off season besides Davis not being involved. I'm not sure why this is a sick to some. The dude won 2 of the last 3 MVP's and if traded last offseason he would've went for 2-3 first rd picks. 

If he plays in 2024 this is a gigantic win for the Jets, otherwise this is a win win situation for both teams IMO. The Packers fans will be irate. 

It'll be interesting to see what the Packers are doing financially, they may have paid for the higher pick next year. 

We could have gotten Rodgers for free and ppl around here would say we overpayes.

• Haha 1

Douglas values draft picks, gave up way more than he should have. Only way this makes sense is if he gets the feeling he can trade down from 15 to recoup some of the losses here. Excited to have Rodgers but not excited to see that the jets were the side that caved to get the deal done. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

The swap this year is annoying, but really, you have to believe the jets are ok with whichever tackle falls to 15 and the packers probably aren’t taking a T anyway

I do not believe the Jets are locked in at OT, and could see them trading further down from there. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

He's 39 and completely healthy. I'm a bills fan and I'm telling you with your wrs and a good draft you're legit super bowl contenders

I overreacted because I thought we gave up a first, too. We swapped firsts. Still, he looked like the walking dead, and had the absolute worst year of his career. No team like ours is ever one player away from Super Bowl. No way. I want to believe you so, so much. Now, maybe we were 4 or 5 players away? That I'd buy. Maybe it'll be Aaron Rodgers, Breece Hall, Lazard, new OT or improved Becton, and a LB TBD.

27 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
35 minutes ago, Warfish said:
So much for "Jets had all the leverage, GB will take what we give them", because that comp is alot.
1. We move down in the first in 2023 from 13 to 15
2. We lose a 2023 2nd Rounder
3. We lose a 2023 6th Rounder
4. We lose a 2024 1st Rounder (lets be honest, unless he gets hurt early in the year, he easily plays 65% in 2023)
1. We gain Aaron Rodgers.
2. We gain a 2023 5th
So much for the "no first rounders" narrative, and "it should be cheap, because leverage" narrative, this is a pretty huge price to pay for a likely 1-year rental @ $50 million+ in salary per season for the next several seasons, cap space wise.
We now have 1 pick in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th to work with, draft wise.
Man, we sure better hope all these risky moves pay off, or it's going to be one rough couple years from 2024 onwards. This reeks of desperation.  

So you're happy, right? Me too!

Some are never happy.  
Ever

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 2

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Massive overpay. We gave up a quality 2nd a swap of 1st rounders which equates to a 3rd rounder in value. And what will 99% be a 1st rounder in 2024. All with no protection if he retires after this next season.

So we traded a 2nd, 3rd, and a 2024 1st for a 39 year old for possibly only 1 year.

Awful deal. JD lost big time.

Jets fans will never be happy, how is a second which we have another one right behind it and a conditional pick next year which should be a late pick, overpay? Think it was a fair trade especially with getting a late round pick back that we didn’t have 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think it's that bad, but it certainly is not that good either.  The conditions on a 2024 1st sound ridiculously easy and no give back when he retires in December? 

I’d imagine the jets and Rodgers talked a lot and he said at least 2 years. There’s no way you trade for him without that discussion 

• Sympathy 1

look if rogers wins us some games no one cares about the next year draft pick whatever. I just dont see why we had to give them nexst year 1. If we did not then say GB doesnt trade. Ok fine. How many days of rogers in camp over there until they say yes you knwo what I mean/.?

idk i hope this works out but seems like we spend a little too much on draft capitol. But then again we have rogers now who i expect elevates the whole team. 

I want to see how draft night goes. Maybe Joe can make some moves. Overpaying for rogers is not the worst thing int he world but didnt seem likely.

GB def thinks they got the better end of the deal

I want to see the number I really hope GB is takign some of that contract on. Depending on how much will make this easier to deal with. But if we are not paying all the money and giving up next year 1 for him. it just stinks.

• Post of the Week 1