Keith Carter, Todd Downing expected to return

32 minutes ago, Pac said:

Boo hoo.  Suck it up buttercups.  We are undefeated this year and I have a sneaky suspicion we're about to eat up the offseason. 

lol.  No amount of optimism can overcome our lack of cap space and no 2nd rounder.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

He was; hangs onto the ball forever, coupled with the Panicky Pete running backward thing. But the OL was mostly terrible. Would think a new OL coach is in order and then some. But guess again; off a BS win, Bob Salad is bringing back his buddies. Accountability? 

What makes people think that Downing is "his buddy?"  I guess he overlapped with Carter in Seattle, but I don't think anybody but Carter worked with Downing.  Am I wrong?

I don't find this remotely surprising.  Expect them back, but I don't see this precluding a change in OLine coach if someone they like is out there and available.  This saves the inevitable reports of "Dante Scarnecchia refused to interview" "Tom Cable refused to interview."

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

Finding a replacement willing would have been difficult given the lame duck situation and structure, but Saleh is almost too committed to his guys and the status quo of his coaching staff. 

Daboll wasted no time... saw an issue with his offensive line and he fired the OL coach. Saw an issue with special teams and fired the ST coach. It doesn't have to be so personal, nor does it have to be an indictment on the guy's ability to coach... but if its not working out in the current situation have to make changes. 

Daboll is a professional HC.  Saleh ended up being a clown shoes hire.

Sounds like the assistant offensive quality control coach and the guy that laminates the playsheets could be in trouble.  Every other coach who guided our historically inept offensive production appears safe.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Sounds like the assistant offensive quality control coach and the guy that laminates the playsheets could be in trouble.  Every other coach who guided our historically inept offensive production appears safe.

"Nat, that run up the middle every 1st down is defense successfully 97.3% of the time and averages less than a yard". 

YOU'RE FIRED!

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

No other choice, unfortunately. It's a lame duck regime....no one good is going to consider coming here for that, unless it's a guy who just got fired and is looking for a job and possibly rehab their rep a bit.

It’s the opposite, actually. It’s a very deliberate choice. The worst part about this year is we dated the hot crazy chick without being able to **** her and were just left with crazy. 

47 minutes ago, football guy said:

Finding a replacement willing would have been difficult given the lame duck situation and structure, but Saleh is almost too committed to his guys and the status quo of his coaching staff. 

Daboll wasted no time... saw an issue with his offensive line and he fired the OL coach. Saw an issue with special teams and fired the ST coach. It doesn't have to be so personal, nor does it have to be an indictment on the guy's ability to coach... but if its not working out in the current situation have to make changes. 

His loyalty is one of the many reasons he may not be cut out to be a HC.  Have to do what's right for the team at some point.  Carter i would have let go, or at least demoted and tried to bring in another OL coach.  With smith fired, Ledford from ATL would have been a really intriguing option.  They've done well improving that OL and running game the last few years. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure why anyone is surprised and honestly, who are you going to find to upgrade this offseason?  You just turned over the offensive staff and lost your star QB on the 4th play, if you fire everyone again, who's coming into fix it?  And dont look now but the last offensive coaching staff you fired, just led their team to the playoffs, produced back to back OROY (well, maybe Stroud but a record breaker nonetheless) and had Jets fans pining for Carson Wentz yesterday.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  No amount of optimism can overcome our lack of cap space and no 2nd rounder.

The Jets should be able to free up close to $50-60m, that should be enough. I would imagine Douglas will use a lot of the $100m sitting in 2025 as well.

2 hours ago, Wit said:

I mean if that’s the case then it’s clear they think Zach is the problem

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

QB *IS* the problem.  With a healthy QB the Jets would have been in the playoff hunt.  Not only has he been an erratic passer, Zach makes the offensive line look worse than they are.   With a wacky QB, it is harder for a lineman to play in a zone blocking scheme.  As far as OC, QB was once again, the problem.  Hackett was not signed on to design a very specific offense that would work for Wilson.  He was invited along to hold a clipboard for Rodgers.  If AR has not gone down, the offense would have been a completely different animal.

As for Wilson... He can actually produce and even awe if he is centered in an offense that is built and designed around what he does best and what he cant do.  

Been saying this since I saw his first three games.  He needs to be an an offense with an aggressive man blocking scheme up front.  Add to that, a lot of lateral motion and plenty of misdirection in the running game. Counter Gap - counter trey.  Much fewer timing patterns and many more pass plays that take longer to develop and involve multiple cuts/moves per each WR.  WR's like Ocho Cinco that do better without having to run strict routs.  You'll also want a lot of play action and a powerful RB that can do it in the A gaps.  

Consider a modernized version of the Joe Bugel/1980's Redskins offense. 

Put ZW in that offense and he'll be amazing. 

• More Ugh 1

Becton sucking has more to do with him not playing football for 2 years than Kevin Carter's coaching. I can't tell you whether Carter is a good or bad coach, but the offensive line's problems run far deeper than the coach.

I'm not "high" on Becton, but I do think he's salvageable as a right tackle or swing tackle. If he wants to come back at $6M a year and compete at RT, I'd be open to it.

• Upvote 1

When one of my kids is whining about not finding the remote or Nintendo etc, I always ask where have they looked and they inevitably respond “nowhere”.

My absolute favorite response to that is semi mockingly telling them “I’ve tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas!”

It’s not quite as fun when your favorite teams coaching staff can have the same teaching moment as my 6 year old.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

The OL looked much better once a professional QB in Siemien took over. I'm not saying I wouldn't make a change at OL coach but it is so painfully clear to me that the QB is the root of every problem on offense. Why they took so long to get past Zach & Boyle is the biggest problem I have

• Upvote 3