Cimini: JD has eye on OT Taliese Fuaga

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I would not rule that out or call it nonsense at all.  If he shakes loose or becomes available, I fully expect the Jets to be the first callers to Green Bay or his agent.  They tried to work a package deal out last year when Rodgers talks developed.  That fell through because Green Bay wanted him for Love.  He’s, also, probably Aaron’s closest friend in the league.

It is nonsense and if JD thinks he's a viable starting LT in 2024 he should be fired. As a depth guy, ok, fine.

• Upvote 2

I take this as more of an attempted smokescreen than any actual insight on who they'll pick. Which is fine because we shouldn't be picking a guard at 10. Or a tight end. It's OT or bust and from what I've seen, Fuaga is tracking more towards NFL guard than tackle.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It is nonsense and if JD thinks he's a viable starting LT in 2024 he should be fired. As a depth guy, ok, fine.

Well I can tell you he does.  I’m not Joe Douglas’ biggest fan either right now but, barring a surprise change of heart, he’ll be interested if he’s available.  He tried very hard to get him last year.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Well I can tell you he does.  I’m not Joe Douglas’ biggest fan either right now but, barring a surprise change of heart, he’ll be interested if he’s available.  He tried very hard to get him last year.

I think I like Joe Douglas more than most. This would be a very troublesome move.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I would be more than okay with this pick…IF Alt and Fashanu are gone.  Picking him over those two would be worse than Becton over Wirfs.

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty high on Carter Warren, probably more than most, as I have heard nothing but encouraging things out of the Jets building regarding him.  If you can plug in a vet LT, draft Fuaga to start at RT, and groom Warren to potentially take over at LT in the future?  That’s not a terrible idea.

Considering Warren played mostly at LT last season (more due to need than probably intent), does the team have long-term goals of him at LT or he'll bounce back based on need?

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

i called this pick a month ago. unless fashanu drops we are picking fuaga

Agree fully.  Fuaga will be a pro bowl RT.   I would not be too upset if we wound up with Bowers, though.   If JD can manage to land an OT in FA (only two worth getting) I'd be very happy with Bowers.  However... If Bowers goes before # 10, that may very well mean that the Alt or Fashanu falls to the Jets.  

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Considering Warren played mostly at LT last season (more due to need than probably intent), does the team have long-term goals of him at LT or he'll bounce back based on need?

Depends on his development.  I know that they’d like to keep him on the left side.  I think the “ideal” plan in the building right now is that they will shoot for a vet LT for the trust factor, plug a rookie in at RT, and let the rest sort itself out in the future.

This, of course, changes if they can’t get a capable veteran FA, or Alt/Fashanu slip.  Then I think it gets muddy, albeit in a somewhat good way, because those 2 are blue chip LT prospects.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Someone who can stay on the field this decade would be my first criteria. There are options in FA & the draft. Relying on Bahktiari would be as good of an idea as having a screen door on a submarine.

Signing Bahktiari to any kind of "starter" contract would be a "Tim Tebow" type move that would cause me to lose any remaining faith in the current admin. Would be ludicrous to pencil that guy in as a starter and would be proof positive they've learned nothing from the "hiring Aaron's friends" strategy's total backfire.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I would be more than okay with this pick…IF Alt and Fashanu are gone.  Picking him over those two would be worse than Becton over Wirfs.

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty high on Carter Warren, probably more than most, as I have heard nothing but encouraging things out of the Jets building regarding him.  If you can plug in a vet LT, draft Fuaga to start at RT, and groom Warren to potentially take over at LT in the future?  That’s not a terrible idea.

If Douglas picks Fuaga over Olu, I'm making Douglas disappear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Fuaga seems like the best combo of upside plus high floor in this draft.  I don't think Alt's upside is crazy high but he seems like a safe bet to be a good LT.  Olu seems like the opposite - huge upside but big bust potential.  Fuaga seems to have the big upside but at the very least he projects as a high-end run blocking RT at the NFL level.  If we miss out on Bowers and Odunze, he'd probably be right up there as far as guys I would take.

Also I'm starting to think the safe move is to sign a LT.  You just can't bank on one of the big LTs dropping to us in the draft - not at this point in time at least(maybe that'll change come April).  I'd rather just bring in a short term veteran LT and then see how the draft plays out.  If the weapons are gone, take Fuaga.  If Bowers is there, take him and then try to move up in the 2nd for a guy like Beebe or Barton or Haynes.  Slot them in at RG and bounce AVT to RT.  IMO that would be the safest way to go.

This is pretty spot on with how I'm feeling right now. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

- Bakhtiari/Smith, I'd make a trade for Garett Bolles of he's available. I could see them consider keeping Becton on a low end prove it deal instead of committing to Trent Brown at a higher price tag. Are Onwenu or Jonah Williams good enough to justify a bigger pay day? Onwenu or Bolles would be my first choice.

- I like Zeitler a lot, guy is always healthy too. Wanna say he has +1000 snaps in like 9 of 13 seasons or something along those lines. 

I think McGovern comes back, he was $1.9m last year. I could see bouncing Tippmann to Guard. Rodgers wanted an experienced center, and we saw Tippmann sail a few balls this year.

I could see us rolling into the draft like this:

- Tyron Smith/Bakhtiari 

- Zeitler

- McGovern

- Tippmann

- AVT

I think this plan would provide cover for our intentions at the #10 & #72 pick. I would like to get a 2nd round pick somehow. I wouldn't mind moving up from the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

This might be the most annoying LT candidate of the 2024 class.

Jets fans watch two straight seasons of the offensive line being decimated by injuries and their first instinct is to sign/trade for a LT who's played 13 games in the last three years.

Look on the bright side, he’s well rested.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Here we go with the offseason bs. From memory I don’t recall any “expert” knowing who the jets picked ahead of time besides Zach (which seemed obvious) 

better start scouting the best Dlineman to be the pick

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Reading that made me wonder why we let Kelvin Beachum go

I was fine with moving on from Beachum, except they replaced him with someone who'd never started a whole before, at triple the money, to pair up with a yet-unknown rookie on the opposite side. Fant had that one outstanding season, but his first year here he was bleh, and his last year he was never healthy and was outright bad (in no small part because of it). 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I would not rule that out or call it nonsense at all.  If he shakes loose or becomes available, I fully expect the Jets to be the first callers to Green Bay or his agent.  They tried to work a package deal out last year when Rodgers talks developed.  That fell through because Green Bay wanted him for Love.  He’s, also, probably Aaron’s closest friend in the league.

It’d be bad because Bakhtiari basically opted out last year because he doesn’t want to play on turf anymore, and he’s even specifically cited the Metlife injury history in his anti-turf complaining. If he comes here, it’ll be for a money grab and he’ll jump on IR the second his knee feels a little sore. Maaaajor stay away situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

who said he isn't a good pass blocker? its just that he is a very elite run blocker. he's only given up 4 qb hits in his last 2 years a starter and has never given up a sack during his college career AT ALL

He should be the number one tackle off the board in that case I would imagine.

Looks like we will have to settle for Alt or Fashanu.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was fine with moving on from Beachum, except they replaced him with someone who'd never started a whole before, at triple the money, to pair up with a yet-unknown rookie on the opposite side. Fant had that one outstanding season, but his first year here he was bleh, and his last year he was never healthy and was outright bad (in no small part because of it). 

All true, but Beachum started a rock solid 48 games after he left the Jets, and was always a fantastic locker room guy.  The Jets always seem to let the bird in the hand fly away.

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Bring in a veteran free agent (Bahktari?) .. then we’d be looking at a line of 

Bahktari 

AVT

Tippman

Fuaga 

swing: Carter Warren

maybe bring back Tomlinson if he takes pay cut? 

Good plan except for the whole Bahktiari isn't a free agent thing