49ers Fire DC

That was always a weird mix anyway. Shanahan is a control freak who wants every aspect of the team run his way, and Wilks was an embittered former HC who wants to be a HC again. Shanahan embarrassed him mid-season by forcing him to leave the coach’s box and be down on the field. 

• Upvote 1

So key point in the game sf defense gets the ball back on chiefs first two drives if the 3rd qtr and shanny decides to stop using cmc on his 2 drives.

yup fault the dc and fire him

hope rexx goes there - that would be fun

• Upvote 3

Pretty surprised about this. He did a good job as interim HC in 2022 of Carolina. I guess he just wasn't on the same page as Shanahan who basically said that. Shanahan also said he was on the same page as two previous DCs Saleh and Ryan. As far as I'm concerned he can have Saleh back. Maybe he's better as a HC than a coordinator. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That was always a weird mix anyway. Shanahan is a control freak who wants every aspect of the team run his way, and Wilks was an embittered former HC who wants to be a HC again. Shanahan embarrassed him mid-season by forcing him to leave the coach’s box and be down on the field. 

Definition of a HC

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I would like to refer ya'll over to the Jets defense thread started by the wise Beerfish saying why the saleh ulbirch system is poor, passive, bad in big moments and not using the real talent of the players at your disposal.

You can thank me with likes and sympathies.

Only 1 more year of this system. We'll never have to worry about whether it can win a big game or not.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Shanahan got the lead again and decided third times the charm to stop running the ball. 

So your argument is that once Shanahan got the lead back he stopped running?  He got the lead back and the Chiefs marched down and tied because of the shanked PAT.  Then he took the lead again and the Chiefs promptly marched down and tied it.  He got the lead again in OT and again Wilks and the D spit it right up.  BTW McCaffrey had like 14 touches in the last three drives.  

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

1st half defense was stout. Boza overcommitted on those two Mahomes scampers. Other than that I think they played well.

Bosa shocked me by staying disciplined for most of the game and still having the speed to make play after play. Fortunately, when it counted he took the cheese.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So your argument is that once Shanahan got the lead back he stopped running?  He got the lead back and the Chiefs marched down and tied because of the shanked PAT.  Then he took the lead again and the Chiefs promptly marched down and tied it.  He got the lead again in OT and again Wilks and the D spit it right up.  BTW McCaffrey had like 14 touches in the last three drives.  

Not even sure what you're going on about. Its not even an arguement, its what happened. What you're saying backs up that the running game was the key to their success. It's what everybody is criticizing him for in the game when he went away from it.

Go look at SF drives after they opened up a 10-0 lead. Chiefs score a FG next drive to make it 10-3.

First drive after: 20 seconds left in the half, 1 run play to take it to half time. Not enough time to do anything so just run the clock out, that's fine, not worthy of discussion.

After the half:

First drive after the half - SF starts at Chiefs 44 after an interception. 3 pass plays and they go 3 and out and don't take advantage of the turnover.

Next drive - 3 Straight pass plays and go 3 and out

Next drive - 1 rush, 2 pass plays, 3 and out 

3 drives, 1 rush, 8 pass. Next time niners take the field they have now blown the lead, lost all momentum and start rushing again. 

And if you're referring to the third time comment, that's about him doing this in 3 superbowls and blowing double digit leads in all of them.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Offensive head coaches fire D coordinators, Defensive head coaches fire offensive coardiantors

Holds up. Matt Canada, OC (Tomlin, D), Leslie Frasier, OC (McDermott, D), MLF, OC (Saleh, D), Steve Wilks, DC (Shanahan, O), Eric Bieniemy, OC (Dan Quinn, D) are all off the top of my head of recent. I find most of the ones I remember are defensive coaches firing offensive ones.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Sacrificial lamb

At least he had the balls to say he fired him. Not like his good buddy and our our pussy head coach who’s afraid people may not like him if he fired them. 

• Upvote 1