Bears introduce lakefront stadium design

idk if any of you guys have been to a Bears game... I was there years ago and I loved the fact you could hit a bar on Sunday morning and have a nice stroll to the stadium in the City.  It was different than any other game experience I had and really enjoy the location

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Who cares what the stadium looks like.  You are there to watch football.  Metlife is just fine to enjoy yourself and watch a game.

Been a few times and never really had an issue with stadium. But the game inside? Yikes!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Never thought I would see the day that the Bears would play in a closed roof type stadium..

If the taxpayer is going to pay for half of these stadiums you need to get more out of it than 8-10 football games a year. 

If you can use it for an economic boost by bringing in concerts, trade shows , college tournaments, etc then it can generate year round use.    I get what you are saying about the Bears being indoors, but these stadiums have changed from football buildings to places to take your entertainment dollars.  Tough to maximize that in Chicago with no roof. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

The Bears playing in a dome feels sacrilegious. 

First time I seriously thought about season tickets was when the west side stadium was proposed. I love a good blizzard game on TV in the comfort of my own home, but there’s no way I’m sitting in the stands for one. My toes start turning blue at 64°. 

• Upvote 3

Crazy to say now but the Jets only have another 11 year commitment to Met Life.  Though I’m sure Woody will extend because he’s Woody.

It opened in 2010 and

How long is the Jets lease at MetLife Stadium?

25-year

The two teams formed the New Meadowlands Stadium Company, LLC (now MetLife Stadium Company), a 50/50 joint venture, to build and operate the stadium. The two teams leased the parcel of land on which the stadium stands from the NJSEA for a 25-year term, with options to extend it which could eventually reach 97 years.

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

https://stadium.chicagobears.com/

No idea about the specifics or whether this will actually happen, but man is that a pretty stadium.  Thank god we play in a giant HVAC unit.

Will Jerry Reinsdorf and Danny Wirtz get their crooked bought and paid for Chicago politicians to put the kibosh on the deal so the United Center doesn't have downtown competition for hosting major events?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Who cares what the stadium looks like.  You are there to watch football.  Metlife is just fine to enjoy yourself and watch a game.

Having been there, I can tell you definitively that it is not "just fine" and has by far the poorest layout and access to seating of any of the MANY large sports venues I've been to. I went to the Chargers game and got the "On field experience" from the Talkin' Jets YouTube guys. By the time I was able to make it from the field after the team Intros to my seat in the upper deck, enough time had passed that it was already 14-0 and the game was essentially over. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought they were hell-bent on leaving the city for the suburbs 20 miles west or something.

I always assumed that was a leverage play to get what they wanted from the City.  And this is what they really want.  Similar to when Kraft threatened to move to Hartford in the late 90s -- used Hartford as leverage to get the Stadium he wanted in Foxboro.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Never thought I would see the day that the Bears would play in a closed roof type stadium..

It’s one of the first things I looked at. It’s not about tradition or blue collar fans anymore. They want/need to sell luxury boxes and other events. 

The team said last month it was prepared to provide more than $2 billion in funding toward a publicly owned stadium in the city. The proposal calls for $2.025 billion from the Bears, $300 million from an NFL loan and $900 million in bonds from the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority.

thats pretty epic from the Halas family 

im super jealous.  Beautiful place and it should benefit the city for decades 

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

I always assumed that was a leverage play to get what they wanted from the City.  And this is what they really want.  Similar to when Kraft threatened to move to Hartford in the late 90s -- used Hartford as leverage to get the Stadium he wanted in Foxboro.

That may 100% be the reason but they say they’re moving and breaking their lease or something (if it’s even up; I don’t care enough to look it up) — wasn’t the reason said directly, or leaked publicly through surrogates, that the city is a s***hole?

2 hours ago, slats said:

First time I seriously thought about season tickets was when the west side stadium was proposed. I love a good blizzard game on TV in the comfort of my own home, but there’s no way I’m sitting in the stands for one. My toes start turning blue at 64°. 

Well, yeah, as someone with neither the financial nor temporal wherewithal to be a season ticket holder, it's easy for me to say. But I stand by it!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

https://stadium.chicagobears.com/

No idea about the specifics or whether this will actually happen, but man is that a pretty stadium.  Thank god we play in a giant HVAC unit.

5 hours ago, WILLY said:

Eh. It can be very cold and blustery along Lake Michigan.

Please let them F it up so it can be called "The Mistake By The Lake".

• Haha 1

Chicago Bears in a dome? no way. freezing in the cold up in Chicago is a advantage for them. it is part of NFL legacy. whats next GB in a dome too? changing the name from Solders field to Blue Ribbon park or something like that.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:36 PM, jetswin said:

idk if any of you guys have been to a Bears game... I was there years ago and I loved the fact you could hit a bar on Sunday morning and have a nice stroll to the stadium in the City.  It was different than any other game experience I had and really enjoy the location

I had an apartment about a :20 walk. It was nice.

22 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

reminds me of the beautiful glass stadium woody had mocked up on the west side of Manhattan.  And like NY Chicago is a city that has little interest supporting business let alone funding one run by billionaires.  

Imagine if Woody was allowed to have built that West Side Stadium ....     That could very well be currently used by our politicians as the biggest migrant shelter in the country right now.