Sheldon is an idiot; facing charges of resisting arrest, drag racing

Morrissey

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this decision doesn't need to be made till 3-4 years down the road. cant cut him. really cant trade him for anything of substance. the jets will play out his rookie contract. if he keeps his nose clean up until that point, they can consider long term. if not, they see what they can get for him or let him walk for the comp pick. then they have from now till then to find his replacement

In a vacuum, sure.  But in reality, the Jets' view of and long term plans for Richardson directly impact how they deal with Mo.  So no, not really.  If they don't see him as a core piece right now, he's gone.

Holy sh*t just checked out Cimini's blog.  Have to post the article. 

So Richardson got in front of the media today after practice and said "The Jets don't have to worry about my name being in the news again"  and less than 1 hour later this news hits the wires.  

AND on top of that he never told the organization this happened 2 weeks ago so the Jets found out the same time as the media.  What a PR nightmare.

Cimini really says it best, this guy is a total TRAINWRECK.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- This looks bad for Sheldon Richardson, real bad. Two weeks after getting suspended by the NFL on a marijuana violation, he gets into his 2014 Bentley and decides to be Mario Andretti, racing another car up to speeds of 143 mph, according to police.

Wait, it gets worse: He allegedly speeds away from police, trying to hide in a stranger's driveway. The police track him down, smell marijuana in the car and find a loaded handgun under the seat.

Now, the really bad part: There's a 12-year-old kid in the car.

Somehow, the New York Jets' talented defensive end walked away with only a resisting-arrest charge, a misdemeanor, and some traffic violations. It would be troubling if this were an isolated incident, but now we have a pattern of bad behavior. If the facts of the case are accurate -- they were released Thursday by the St. Charles County (Mo.) prosecutor -- Richardson exhibited sheer recklessness and a frighting lack of judgement.

The Jets should be angry. They are angry. They were blindsided by the news, which came down about an hour after practice ended -- about an hour after Richardson stood in front of reporters and vowed, "[The Jets] don't have to worry about my name being in the news again."

How can the Jets ever trust Richardson? Instead of confiding in them two weeks ago when it happened, he kept them in the dark, putting them in the uncomfortable position of having to learn the details at the same time as the media. Not only did he embarrass himself and his family, but he shamed his employer, and that's something the organization never can forget.

This is a player who already has dropped hints about deserving a $100 million contract in the future. He's lucky if he gets a second contract, period. No organization will invest franchise money in a high-risk player, especially in the post-Ray Rice era. Already facing a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, Richardson is only one strike away from a 10-game suspension. It's hard to say how this latest incident will impact his status -- no drug charges were filed -- but it appears to be a violation of the personal-conduct policy. His failure to disclose the information in a timely manner also violates the policy.

In short, he's a train wreck.

Before the news broke, Todd Bowles backed Richardson, saying they'd "help him hopefully get help with his problem" -- thinking it was just the suspension. A short time later, the Jets' coach discovered his Pro Bowl defensive end -- seemingly unfazed by the suspension -- was prepping for training camp by burning rubber on the highways of his hometown, St. Louis.

"I'm not a dope fiend, man," Richardson said before the arrest became news.

If he's not a dope fiend, he's just a dope. Not only did he endanger his own life, but he endangered the lives of three others, including the 12-year-old.

Richardson probably ruined his future with the Jets, who should look to trade him after the season. They can live without him as long as they re-sign Muhammad Wilkerson and Damon Harrison, both of whom are entering contract years. Wilkerson is a terrific player and does all the right things; he deserves the big deal, not Richardson. They have No. 1 pick Leonard Williams ready to replace Richardson; he already is working with the starters.

This is reminiscent of John Abraham in the mid-2000s. Abraham, a first-round pick in 2000, was a gifted pass-rusher, but his off-the-field problems scared the new regime that took command in 2006. Despite a 10.5-sack season in '05, he was traded for the first-round pick, which turned out to be Nick Mangold.

You could see the Richardson situation playing out the same way. They can't move him now because he has little trade value -- it would have to be a fire sale -- so they will have to wait until the offseason. Bowles, who stressed accountability in his opening-night speech to the team, shouldn't have to build a team with unreliable, immature players who repeatedly let down their teammates. Maybe not now, but eventually he will sack the team's leading sacker.

Love the Leonard Williams pick all the more after this ordeal. You never have enough depth in the NFL. Not such a luxury pick now, huh?

It'll be interesting to see how McCags uses any of this as leverage in contract talks or he just trades him to the highest bidder.

See.......now that's just bad business. He has VALUE. He can net us SOMETHING if the Jets do decide to go that route.

I miss 80s football. :-(

If this was 80s football the media probably wouldn't have found out for a couple of days, it wouldn't have spread through Twitter like wildfire, and it would blow over pretty quickly.  This sort of stuff was par for the course for the '86 Mets.

They're gonna cut him, IMO. The only thing stalling it is the phone calls to the league and the phone calls to the team lawyers to discuss cap ramifications.

Jesus Christ, you're like a ******* broken record. He isn't getting cut tonight.

Absolutely. Driving 143 mph while stoned with a 12 year old kid and a (YOU FORGOT TO STATE "LOADED") gun in the car?

I read the reports, but I MUST admit, when you phrase it THAT WAY.........it does sound pretty bad.

And #91 was supposed to be Idzik's lasting legacy along with Geno from the 2013 draft ?!?!?!?

See.......now that's just bad business. He has VALUE. He can net us SOMETHING if the Jets do decide to go that route.

He has no value whatsoever. He will be suspended for the year and possibly headed to prison. No team would take him now if he was free. This will be proven correct after the Jets cut him, very soon I might add, and no team goes near him.

Like Josh Gordon netted the Browns something. No one trading for Sheldon Richardson , as the Jets only hope is that he can grow up, and give up his love of weed. Very doubtful he strong enough minded enough to quit . He couldn't stop doing pot when he knew when he was going to be tested the first time.( now when the NFL can test him at anytime , what's the chances he isn't going to be caught again) look no further after being suspended for four games after failing numerous drug test, he still didn't learn anything.( back with his buddy Puff the Magic dragon)

Jmo it looks like Sheldon Richardson going to be another Josh Gordon. a talented player who threw away a promising NFL career. These guys never learn as they think they can beat the system.

Well...I'm awake...is he still on the team?

This really sucks...this guy just crushed my dream of seeing this DLine become an absolute steamroller.

I agree w poster that he just another josh Gordon. I hate Sheldon Richardson and there is nothing...nothing...he could ever do that will change that.

20 sacks in 2016? Still a POS

Visits sick children? Still a POS

HE HAS LOST ALL TRUST W MANY FANS AND TEAMMATES.

**** this guy. We are not desperate at the position. Far from it. All the debates about which guy is expendable are over. He's the expendable one. Bye-bye Sheldon. Now or later is the only question left, but he's gone. His days as a Jet will not last beyond his current contract and that's a good thing.

What a POS. I can't wait to hear his attitude about this one.

Holy sh*t just checked out Cimini's blog. Have to post the article.

So Richardson got in front of the media today after practice and said "The Jets don't have to worry about my name being in the news again" and less than 1 hour later this news hits the wires.

AND on top of that he never told the organization this happened 2 weeks ago so the Jets found out the same time as the media. What a PR nightmare.

Cimini really says it best, this guy is a total TRAINWRECK.

Cimini is 100% spot on in that article.

This really lends cred to his douche bag pre game "hands up dont shoot" move last year.

He is lucky he didnt get shot.

I swear the Jets knew what a problem this idiot was and that he would screw up again and again and thats why they drafted Williams.

I hate this guy and really hope they just cut him.

This stuff has to breach his contract.

Maybe try to claw back some salary if possible and if it doesnt work it can cost him big money fighting it till he is broke.

Sheldon is a dick. We're supposed to be enjoying the demise of the Patriots right now, not squabbling over the predictability of Sheldon breaking laws. Which is stupid and tbh, there are a TON of player from bad upbringings that get to the league, put their heads down and work.

Some of you are basically asserting g that being black, from a bad hood/upbringing, and cocky = foregone conclusion that also going to commit crimes. Racist.

Archived