!### Jets vs Bills -- The Official Game Thread ###!

Maxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I haven't read anyone saying that. 

A bad HC in charge of a bad roster doesn't mean he'd be a good HC if given a good roster. 

You need both, though I do think you need talent to coach. Even a dope like Bowles was able to scrape together a 10-win season when the GM spent 2.5 years worth of cap room to make 1 the team merely decent for 1 season. Plenty of bad HCs have coached their way to the playoffs with decent rosters. Very few good coaches, no matter how good, are able to take trash rosters to the playoffs. But again, they both need to go. 

^^^ The correct answer. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I haven't read anyone saying that. 

A bad HC in charge of a bad roster doesn't mean he'd be a good HC if given a good roster. 

You need both, though I do think you need talent to coach. Even a dope like Bowles was able to scrape together a 10-win season when the GM spent 2.5 years worth of cap room to make 1 the team merely decent for 1 season. Plenty of bad HCs have coached their way to the playoffs with decent rosters. Very few good coaches, no matter how good, are able to take trash rosters to the playoffs. But again, they both need to go.

Oh, I read plenty of people, I could mention out 3 or 4 easily but I don't want to break rules by calling out posters. 

I spent most of 2015 defending Bowles against you criticizing him. I was completely wrong, and in 2016 I realized it. 

I agree completely you need both, but you can also judge both in isolation. They both suck at their jobs individually, and the combo super sucks.

There is no doubt that Macs picks would look better with a great coach. There is no doubt that Bowles would look better with a much better roster. But there is more than enough evidence to say they both suck balls.

12 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yet year after year Jets' draft picks are completely out of the league, meaning they are generating less interest from the rest of the NFL than those random street guys the Jets are getting whooped by.  That's by no interpretation anything that an even further indictment of the incompetence of Maccagnan.

As I read this I saw Vlad Ducasse jog off for the bills, doesn't prove sh*t, just funny timing that I haven't seen or heard that name in forever.

It's not that the Jets offense is so bad, it is. It's that Bowles have never seemed to embrace an offensive philosophy that values the pass vs. the run. And that is what keeps the Jets, when that philosophy works at its best, in close games and vulnerable to close losses. Sadly, they just don't have the athletes for it to work most of the time. And even if it did, the best you could hope for is Jacksonville, losing because you can't score when you need to.

Defense wears down. Offense wears up! So, expecting a defense to win a game in the 4th quarter when it's been playing a lot of snaps is just not realistic. Defense may win championships but Offense wins most of the games leading up to it.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

It's not that the Jets offense is so bad, it is. It's that Bowles have never seemed to embrace an offensive philosophy that values the pass vs. the run. And that is what keeps the Jets, when that philosophy works at its best, in close games and vulnerable to close losses. Sadly, they just don't have the athletes for it to work most of the time. And even if it did, the best you could hope for is Jacksonville, losing because you can't score when you need to.

Defense wears down. Offense wears up! So, expecting a defense to win a game in the 4th quarter when it's been playing a lot of snaps is just not realistic. Defense may win championships but Offense wins most of the games leading up to it.

Should have brought back Morton.

Archived