Why didn’t Bowles double Hopkins all game?

VinnyT16

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

If we double covered Hopkins than their other guys would have tore us apart or more likely Watson would have had a ton of rushing yards

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Disagree. Hopkins is their passing game. In fact I recall them doubling him once on third down and it looked like it confused Watson and led to a sack. 

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If we double covered Hopkins than their other guys would have tore us apart or more likely Watson would have had a ton of rushing yards

It is really difficult to read some of your posts with a straight face.

How many games have you watched Belichick coach?  What is the first thing he attempts to do defensively in almost, ALMOST, every game?

Belichick does whatever possible to take away the opponents' #1 offensive threat, and force them to beat his team another way.

And you, bealeb... can find a way not to see something even as simple as this, and/or twist it in your own weird little vision.

The Jets most definitely needed to handle Hopkins infinitely better than they did, but it's not really all that difficult to piece together what they opted to do with their game plan, considering the success of their pass rush was dependent on heavy blitzing, and there do happen to be some rules about how many defenders you're actually allowed to play at a time.

That's not even meant as the slightest bit of an excuse or justification, because Hopkins is why the Jets ultimately lost, but it's not such a difficult concept to grasp what happened as some try to make it out to be.

The OP and everyone on this board (except 1 so far) knows Hopkins should've been double covered the entire game.  Even the braindead announcers pointed out several times that they're baffled as to why Hopkins is single covered.  Only that idiot Todd Bowles couldn't see this and we got torched to the tune of 170yds and 2 TDs. 

Especially once Lamar Miller was out, there was absolutely no reason not to double the only other weapon on that team.

But Bowles believes in the future, there will be no need to double #1 receivers because #3 safeties playing corner  will be the best way to stop beastmode #1 receivers.

First thing Todd Bowles sucks.

Second, if you doubled Hopkins, Watson will just force it to him and nowadays you can't cover guys like that. He is either going to catch it or it will be a PI. 

Third not doubling Hopkins didn't lose this game. Letting Kearse still play on the field was the most fireable offense of the day. The ball literally hit the defender next to him in the head and he's at the 40 and not even turned around yet. It was literally a perfect pass by Darnold and if caught he may have pulled off a win. I really don't know how much more this buffoon Bowles needs to see before he's benched.

5 hours ago, VinnyT16 said:

Booger made a good point about the Panthers bracketing Michael Thomas. Made me wonder why DeAndre Hopkins was able to abuse Claiborne and Skrine all game in single coverage. 

Because he's a ******* idiot. End of thread

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Hopkins is that entire offense. If there was ever a qb that has benefited from a playmaker its Watson. You take Hopkins out of the game and force Watson to beat you by scanning the field for actual open targets and running.

Instead, Bowles thought the answer would be putting his #2 CB on an island to defend one of, if not, the best WR in the game.

Reminds me of three years ago in Buffalo ... Watkins running freely in our backfield, but Todd is so worried about Taylor running that he leaves old man Revis out there on his own, all game, losing the matchup time and time again.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I posted the thread B4 the game how Bowles/Rogers have NEVER slowed down a #1 wide receiver. The answer was NO and I posted their #s.

170 yards & 2 TDs later Bowles/Rogers seal there fate! Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out!

But, it was a win/win. Better draft pick..Bowles fired.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hopkins is that entire offense. If there was ever a qb that has benefited from a playmaker its Watson. You take Hopkins out of the game and force Watson to beat you by scanning the field for actual open targets and running.

Instead, Bowles thought the answer would be putting his #2 CB on an island to defend one of, if not, the best WR in the game.

this is the same coach who didn't prepare his defense to play against mayfield or barkley.  does anyone really expect him to devise a gameplan for a top wr?

Bowles and Rodgers come up with a game plan during the week and no matter how things play out during the game they refuse to adjust. While you see other Head Coaches frantically moving around the sidelines communicating with coordinators via headsets or with players, Bowles just stands like a statute. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bowles and Rodgers come up with a game plan during the week and no matter how things play out during the game they refuse to adjust. While you see other Head Coaches frantically moving around the sidelines communicating with coordinators via headsets or with players, Bowles just stands like a statute. 

even bad coaches try to adjust.  i still don't understand what it takes to change your gameplan.  if the game went into overtime would they have tried to double team hopkins?  he had 10 catches for 170 yards and 2 tds in regulation, is that enough for bowles to decide to do something different?  what has to happen before the initial strategy is scrapped?

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I posted the thread B4 the game how Bowles/Rogers have NEVER slowed down a #1 wide receiver. The answer was NO and I posted their #s.

170 yards & 2 TDs later Bowles/Rogers seal there fate! Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out!

But, it was a win/win. Better draft pick..Bowles fired.

Plus Texans winning help push the Pats to #3 seed. That’s good because I hate them and their stupid faces. 

12 hours ago, VinnyT16 said:

Booger made a good point about the Panthers bracketing Michael Thomas. Made me wonder why DeAndre Hopkins was able to abuse Claiborne and Skrine all game in single coverage. 

because claiborne and johnson are great one on one press corners.  of course they should have doubled hopkins.  they should've kept johnson on him too.

13 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I would have taken that chance.

You never let their best player beat you.

That’s a quote out of Belichick’s coaching manual. It’s also in the coaching 101 class. It’s also in the Coaching for dummies book.

12 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

In theory you could use that argument against any double team, in any game, at any position... Doesnt really hold up. 

Yea that IS the game plan in a game called football. Unless you have an elite CB, like a Revis the elite WR’s get doubled. Defensive ends like Mack and Watt will typically get a double. A running QB will have a LB sitting 3 yards from the line of scrimmage, it’s called spying the QB, to keep him from running the ball. Elite RB’s will get keyed on by LBer’s. 

You make a team beat you by shutting down the playmakers.

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Image result for todd bowles moron memes

C'mon man, give the guy a break.  He was busy arguing with Tony from Teaneck about the Cannon spot.  By the time he and KC realized Hopkins had 10 catches the Texans started kneeling.

Who knew a football game only has 4 quarters?

Archived