Natahan Shepard another 3rd round bust for Maccagnan

Jetsbb

I read an article a few weeks back that his playing time has been severely downgraded as Henry Anderson has come on. The guy is what 25 years old and appears likely to be regulated to back up limited duties for the rest of his time with the Jets. That is not what you hope to get from a very high 8th pick in the third round. Maccagnan will get lucky once in a blew moon with a Herndon but the track record says he is consistently terrible in finding value when scouting is most important rounds 2-5. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a raw player, in his his first year, and he's playing in a bad scheme.  Also, Shepard checked all the right boxes as a lineman looking to make the jump into the NFL based off of measurables, combine numbers, etc. 

He may not make it, but this thread is extremely premature.

43 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I read an article a few weeks back that his playing time has been severely downgraded as Henry Anderson has come on. The guy is what 25 years old and appears likely to be regulated to back up limited duties for the rest of his time with the Jets. That is not what you hope to get from a very high 8th pick in the third round. Maccagnan will get lucky once in a blew moon with a Herndon but the track record says he is consistently terrible in finding value when scouting is most important rounds 2-5. 

He's fine. Our entire team has been underwhelming to begin with, but he is another guy who has actually played decently in a piss poor defensive scheme. All of our guys are out of position consistently. He has not lit up the stat line, but he is not getting pushed around out there. He still has plenty of time. I'll concede that we all would have liked more, but come on. ya gotta give the guy more than one season under a consensus terrible coach. Then again, maybe you don't.  I don't know :) 

The big issue is his age going hand in hand with lower level of competition coming into the league.

With a 22-23 year old guy you can say, hey learning curve, he has the physical part he will learn in time. 

By the time he learns he will be 28 and unless he looks really good then teams will look to replace him.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

He's a raw player, in his his first year, and he's playing in a bad scheme.  Also, Shepard checked all the right boxes as a lineman looking to make the jump into the NFL based off of measurables, combine numbers, etc. 

So he's a premature evaluator?

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The big issue is his age going hand in hand with lower level of competition coming into the league.

With a 22-23 year old guy you can say, hey learning curve, he has the physical part he will learn in time. 

By the time he learns he will be 28 and unless he looks really good then teams will look to replace him.

Sione Pouha was 25 coming out of Utah, contributed little at least the first few years. Then a change in coaching and the opportunity to emerge from Kris Jenkins shadow and he became a very good NT for a few years. There’s precedent 

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Excellent post. Also give kudos to Anderson who had an excellent year and was a great pickup for a seventh round pick.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He was 24 years old when drafted and turned 25 during the season.

These coaches & schemes are horrific. The players themselves have no faith in this coaching staff & it's showing itself in the lacksadasical play we're seeing by 1/3 of the defense. 

We have RBs getting the edge constantly, we still have CBs 15 yards off the LOS, we have players not playing through the whistle (everyone saw Leo jogging towards Josh Allen) when if could have been in the play, forced a fumble maybe? Who knows, good things happen when defenses swarm & attack the ball. 

The Patriots ran for 215 yards against last time. That's what they'll try to do on Sunday. This game will come down to our defensive front 7 and do they have the determination to stop the run. Pats ran for 273 vs the Bills, how many yards will they run for vs the Jets and this terrible, underachieving clusterf*ck of a defense? 

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Sione Pouha was 25 coming out of Utah, contributed little at least the first few years. Then a change in coaching and the opportunity to emerge from Kris Jenkins shadow and he became a very good NT for a few years. There’s precedent 

I really liked Pouha and that’s my only hope with someone like Shepherd but it was a terrible pick. Why the f*ck even bother drafting someone that raw and OLD? There are so many other players and so few D line spots in a 3-4 plus we spent a 7th on Henry Anderson(surely this was talked about in the trade up for #3 with Indy and in the works). We didn’t have a need on the D line at all. It’s a horrible pick based on team needs alone.

I hope it works out and I understand it is too early to call him a bust but it’s not too early to call him a bad pick based on needs/draft philosophy. Such can be said about most of Mac’s draft blunders.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

These coaches & schemes are horrific. The players themselves have no faith in this coaching staff & it's showing itself in the lacksadasical play we're seeing by 1/3 of the defense. 

We have RBs getting the edge constantly, we still have CBs 15 yards off the LOS, we have players not playing through the whistle (everyone saw Leo jogging towards Josh Allen) when if could have been in the play, forced a fumble maybe? Who knows, good things happen when defenses swarm & attack the ball. 

The Patriots ran for 215 yards against last time. That's what they'll try to do on Sunday. This game will come down to our defensive front 7 and do they have the determination to stop the run. Pats ran for 273 vs the Bills, how many yards will they run for vs the Jets and this terrible, underachieving clusterf*ck of a defense? 

I think these defensive coaches have botched things way more than we realize.  There has also never been any accountability on the defensive side of the ball even as half the games the team was winning in the 4th quarter and the defense choked.  Even average defensive coaches would make this defense look better, and i think the defense is going to get a boost with a top pick in the draft as well.  

as for Sheppard, that pick never seemed like a mccagnan pick.  He likes guys from big programs in the early rounds.  

55 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Excellent post. Also give kudos to Anderson who had an excellent year and was a great pickup for a seventh round pick.

Anderson is awesome. Hard nose/blue chip player that you want on your d-line. We REALLY need to look for more value trades for players like him.

There will be a lot of coaching turnover and we need to targe those players that don’t fit the new scheme and scooo them up. New regimes are usually stubborn and get rid of these players for dirt cheap. 

7 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

In his rookie year ? Premature, totally.

My favorite part is that you called him a very high eigth pick in the third round as if everyone else ever taken at pick 8 in round three were taken later in their given draft. Secondly the kid was taken in the third round which means 70 other players or so were taken before him? You hope a third round pick ends up being good but the expectations should not anything more than him being around the talent level of the 70th person taken if you try to elevate your third round picks and make them into probowlers more often than not you are going to be very disappointed a third rounder should get playing time and hopefully not look lost their first year that is the kind of expectations that should be put on them.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

My favorite part is that you called him a very high eigth pick in the third round as if everyone else ever taken at pick 8 in round three were taken later in their given draft. Secondly the kid was taken in the third round which means 70 other players or so were taken before him? You hope a third round pick ends up being good but the expectations should not anything more than him being around the talent level of the 70th person taken if you try to elevate your third round picks and make them into probowlers more often than not you are going to be very disappointed a third rounder should get playing time and hopefully not look lost their first year that is the kind of expectations that should be put on them.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

The guy they should have picked was Sam Hubbard.  

50 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I really liked Pouha and that’s my only hope with someone like Shepherd but it was a terrible pick. Why the f*ck even bother drafting someone that raw and OLD? There are so many other players and so few D line spots in a 3-4 plus we spent a 7th on Henry Anderson(surely this was talked about in the trade up for #3 with Indy and in the works). We didn’t have a need on the D line at all. It’s a horrible pick based on team needs alone.

I hope it works out and I understand it is too early to call him a bust but it’s not too early to call him a bad pick based on needs/draft philosophy. Such can be said about most of Mac’s draft blunders.

People need to stop with the Pouha comparisons.  I get that both were older rookies, but that’s where it ends.  People forget that pouha was a second team All-American at Utah playing for Urban Meyer.  He was not some small school D2 no name player.  He was WAY more talented than Shepherd coming out of college.  He took a while to get started because he missed his entire second season with a torn ACL.  

At some point during a rookie season a player player will show you something that shows they belong in the league.  They may not do it every game but there are moments that make you say “he’s got something”.  Shepherd has shown nothing.  5 solo tackles for the entire season.  It was a poor pick.  

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

People need to stop with the Pouha comparisons.  I get that both were older rookies, but that’s where it ends.  People forget that pouha was a second team All-American at Utah playing for Urban Meyer.  He was not some small school D2 no name player.  He was WAY more talented than Shepherd coming out of college.  He took a while to get started because he missed his entire second season with a torn ACL.  

At some point during a rookie season a player player will show you something that shows they belong in the league.  They may not do it every game but there are moments that make you say “he’s got something”.  Shepherd has shown nothing.  5 solo tackles for the entire season.  It was a poor pick.  

It’s not a comparison based on program at all. It’s purely because of age and the only recent example of an older rookie Jet that was drafted and ended up working out. I think you are taking the comparison too literally. 

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

I forget who traded for Anderson ?

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

I guess Mac needed to spend more time with him in TC teaching him how to play in Todd's 3-4 system. Or maybe Mac should have spent more time in the film room with Shepard breaking down ways to scheme against his opponent as I'm pretty sure the CS doesn't do this. 

The bottom line is the draft is a glorified crapshoot , some players will pan out some won't , often times the major factor is how well the player can adapt or how well the coaching staff is at getting the most from the player. The problem with our current staff is , I don't see any thing changing to suit a players strengths , I see players constantly forced into roles that fit our HC's schemes.  At the end of the day Mac may still suck but if  I buy you a lobster and you don't know how to cook it - its just a slimy crustacean. 

Archived