Jets trade with Raiders for G Kelechi Osemele

JetsFanatic

23 minutes ago, LinemanCT said:

War Machine 

That vid was just spectacular!!!!  He's an animal. I love how aggressive he is. 

Great song too!  I played that in the 8th grade talent show!  lol 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah well when you have guys making this move a move that just cancels out the bad moves over the last 4 seasons its kinda hard to let it slide. Lets see what Macc does the rest of the off season before we give him the Executive of the year award okay pal?

Who's giving him the Exec of the year award? First it's all about the past with you. Now it's all about some mystical future?  Can we just talk about a move that was done an hour ago for goodness sakes?   

It's a very solid trade. KO is an incredibly talented player. We gave up 25 or so draft board points to get him. One of our most glaring needs for this offseason LG has been addressed. How does that make you feel?  

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Who's giving him the Exec of the year award? First it's all about the past with you. Now it's all about some mystical future?  Can we just talk about a move that was done an hour ago for goodness sakes?   

It's a very solid trade. KO is an incredibly talented player. We gave up 25 or so draft board points to get him. One of our most glaring needs for this offseason LG has been addressed. How does that make you feel?  

Agree and IGNORE the negative nellies.

IT's a GREAT move to start the off-season. We've been GRIPING about securing protection and weapons for Darnold - Jets have EXTENDED Enunwa for less than $10M/year (FA he would be more), and have Re-signed/Acquired 2 Swing OLinemen that can play C/G/OT in a pinch and this is BEFORE Free Agency? That's 3 positions and 2 areas of need that have been addressed already . So far, so good. . . . just enjoy the ride. :)

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Good for the Jets, but when you take a step back and think about it, I bet Osemele was hoping that he’d get released seeing that there’s zero guaranteed money left in his contract. 

If he looks like the  pro bowler he once was, maybe an extension might be forthcoming?

Coming off an injury, I'm sure any extension would be very much in the Jets favor.

My guess is this is a "prove it" year for KO where the Jets have no liability after 2019.  If all goes well, then I imagine there will we an extension with some guaranteed money for a couple years.

Awesome work by Macc.  This guy is gonna play his ass off to ink a deal next offseason.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I wonder if Rodney Hudson is available. Same age as Osemele and is under contract for only 2019. That would solve the Center issue as well. Both players will require an extension. They would probably have to give up the late 3rd round pick for him. That would be a huge get for this team and they can concentrate on other positions in free agency.

No Rodney Hudson isn't going anywhere.    Heart of the Raiders offense line .( probably give him extension) The Raiders don't really have that much players to trade.    Te Lee Smith - one dimensional but one of the premier blocking Te's. ( Can't see Gruden giving him up) RB Deandre Washington - pretty good receiving back ( J Richard just does everything better than him)  Kicker Eddy Piniero- bigtime leg that's accurate but hurt his groin in the preseason .( was placed on Ir) Daniel Carlson won that job.

That's it.  IF there a trade it might be a jet player for a draft choice.

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Mac has a long ways to go and there is nothing wrong with praising his good moves. The amount of d*cksucking by everyone like he righted all of his wrongs with 1 trade is sickening. Have some respect for yourselves and team and hold our GM to a higher standard.

If this is the bar that fans set, that is pathetic. Just be doormats that don’t demand any accountability from a horrific GM performance over 4 years. 

I hope Mac kills it and only wish for success for my team regardless of my feelings of him. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and get this team on track. It would take YEARS of successful moves (not just 1), until he deserves any credibility again. I’d gladly eat that crow if it happens. Just stop with the premature e-maculation and let him earn his credibility back. 

Sam Fkn Darnold says hello.

show some godamn respect  

17 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Well what the Jets did here is stop this guard from hitting free agency - which he would of - and who knows what kind of money he would be getting as a free agent AND there was no guarantee that he would of signed with the Jets anyway. This way we made a pre-emptive strike and got a free agent guard at a reasonable price.

I think he might have made a little less than what he's currently making, probably 7 figures(7-9 million) rather than his current 8 figure salary. Though the point about competition in the market stands, it made sense for the jets to pay a slight premium of a low round pick and a couple million more than he might have made otherwise. they needed some immediate help in the interior o-line, this is the best way to get that.

I think Saffold would have gotten more years, no guarantee you get him, and he’s the best FA guard by so much that he’s likely to get overpaid. I like this for a swap of day 3 picks - Maccagnan moves around on day 3 anyway. Theoretically you could grab Saffold too if the price is right since Winters can be cut with no dead money.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

But not last year.

Would have preferred he be released (which he likely would have been), then signed (for no loss of the 5th) and just use cap to acquire, but Macc knows he can't beat other GM's in the open market, so a trade it is.

Was a decent enough player before last year, we only drop from a 5th to a 6th, and hopefully plus a hole on our O-line.  Hard to be too mad, unless of course, the player continues to slide in play quality.  He's not cheap.

Let's hope he materially rebounds, and isn;t just the next O-line placeholder castoff of the Macc Era..

KO will be motivated to perform to keep his salary.  None of his salary is guaranteed.  He gets it.  He has been working out getting ready for the season.

Draft his and Winters’ replacement.  Worse come to worse, they are second string this year.  

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. What a joke. Todd Bowles was this mean man who made poor Macc make bad moves. Really? Come on. Bowles may have had some input but Macc still made those moves and I doubt Bowles was the driving force behind them.

Bowles didn't cook the groceries for the Jets? You for real? 

57 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

2-3 years ago he was immense. Then he got cabled. I used to key on what he was doing and at his peak he was a bad, bad man. I hope he can get back to what he was at the jets (apart from when we play him) but that salary was just too much for a bad schematic fit. I'm still putting his regression on cable though. Hopefully he'll make a mess of some pats players for everyone. Dammit, now I've got to start looking at guard draft prospects.”

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't stop there Macc improve the OL some more. 

That's my concern. 

I think the deal is a good one for the Jets, though it is predicated on last season for Osemele being the outlier, not the new normal.

I do hope that re-signing Harrison and trading for Osemele is not all the moves the Jets will make on the line.

I can't fault Maccagnan for this move. I hope it is the first in a series of moves to strengthen the offensive line.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Loving what I'm hearing from the Jets so far.

True.  But I loved what I heard last year as well.  We're getting F'ing Trumaine Johnson!  We're getting Isaiah Crowell AND a new Center in Spencer Long!

I need to wait to judge any and all of these moves.  But if we land Osemele at OG, Paradis at C, and Bell at RB then it's hard not to be totally excited for the offense at that point.

Jets acquired LG Kelechi Osemele and a 2019 sixth-round pick from the Raiders in exchange for a 2019 fifth-round pick.

Derek Carr, RG Gabe Jackson, and Osemele carried the three highest cap figures on the club (with Antonio Brown's reported deal still pending), so it's unsurprising the Raiders moved one of them. Oakland will fortuitously forego any amount of dead money in the deal, instead shipping the $21.9 million Osemele is owed over the next two seasons all to New York. The 29-year-old guard is a tremendous upgrade in the middle of the Jets' trenches. When asked about Osemele's 2018 performance at the combine, new Raiders GM Mike Mayock stated it was "up and down a little bit, but he’s a starting left guard in the NFL and there aren’t many guys around."

A few things I'm seeing from Raiders fans....

1. If we (Raiders) were going to release him then at least we got something

2. We have way too much money tied up in OLine and just added a $50M contract for AB on offense.  This was a Cap move.

3. He isn't the same player as 2016 and you don't pay for what a guy did 2 years ago.

4. He was a bad fit for Coach Cable and the zone blocking scheme

52 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah well when you have guys making this move a move that just cancels out the bad moves over the last 4 seasons its kinda hard to let it slide. Lets see what Macc does the rest of the off season before we give him the Executive of the year award okay pal?

Who said anything even remotely like that?

Archived