Who is Plan B at center?

jetscrazey

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, varjet said:

I was thinking that we would use the 3rd pick to draft Josh Allen rather than sign Barr.

But this team has too many holes.  We need to trade down for a second round pick.  

I am not an NFL football professional, but I still think tossing Spencer Long out before replacing him was not smart.  He was a passable Center in 2017.  He hurt his hand in 2018 and played ok at Guard.  

Paradis basically did not want to play for the Jets.  Just like the Army has to draft soldiers, the Jets need to draft players (and keep their draft picks).  

Allen might be gone at #2.  The Jets can’t bank on getting an Edge guy in the draft.  If that’s their plan then they have to be prepared for Allen to be gone and then to either overdraft someone at #3 like Gary or Ferrell, or trade back to get one of those guys.

The Jets have to plan for worst case....which could be Bosa at 1 and Allen at 2.

Is it a bad thing to be used as leverage for a player?  For example, if the Ravens outbid us for Le'veon Bell, they'll be using up more cap space than they otherwise would have.  Considering they're a team in our conference, isn't that at least a silver lining?

17 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Sounds like they never made Paradis an offer, so we're still on plan A. #Macc

Agreed. Don't fall asleep on a trade. Anybody who believes we didn't pursue Paradis because we were waiting on another player is crazy.

I think the Jets are more comfortable with Jonotthan Harrison then we believe.  They probably don’t WANT him to start but they know he CAN start.

Harrison was the starting Center over the final 7 games of the season.  Coincidentally (or not) those were some of Sam Darnold’s best games....

8A3559A0-F850-46C7-8881-71D62F7F968D.thumb.jpeg.90e9b15651932179ae87014e07efbcff.jpeg

I wonder if Travis Swanson might become an option?

We had him in preseason, he got cut and ended up starting 11 games for Gase in Miami.

Still just 27 with starting experience.

Not the guy I was hoping for, but might become a stop-gap option.

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is it a bad thing to be used as leverage for a player?  For example, if the Ravens outbid us for Le'veon Bell, they'll be using up more cap space than they otherwise would have.  Considering they're a team in our conference, isn't that at least a silver lining?

Apparently they think it is a bad thing.  The people whining about that are the kind that consider being top bidder at an auction "winning"  That is they way auctions work and there are plenty of people that are just trying to drive the price up for everybody else. 

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Just like the Osemele trade came out of nowhere, we can take on another high priced OL for a pick swap. I'm not panicking after day 2 of legal tampering. With two 3rd rounders, we have a decent shot at finding a center. I'll panic when Johnatheonion Harrison is the opening day starter. 

That’s if Macc has any common sense which we know he doesn’t.  Hopefully we can trade back and get a 2nd + in the deal. If we don’t sign a center, it’s on Macc’s head.

17 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Why was Long released again?

I think the view of Jets Management was that Long was not worth what he was due to be paid, and that they could get out of paying him $6mm if they cut him in early March.

But Mac did sign him to be the C a year ago.  He had some injuries last year.  I think, given their cap space, they could have risked the $3mm he was guaranteed to see how it went.

And you what?  That is what the Bills did when they signed him after the Jets cut him.  The Bills just signed Morse too-an upgrade-but they have Long as a backup at G and C.

It is possible that the Jets think they are covered Harrison (who played decently at the end of last year) and maybe Toth.  Morse and Paradis were both injured.  We will see where this goes.  

Just now, Freemanm said:

Yes but now Harrison is going to be the center. Sure, we might be able to draft Jenkins, but do you want a third round pick to be the starting C?

Paradis was a 6th rd pick .. it’s not completely crazy to find a solid starting centers in mid rounds . Happens a lot actually

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Paradis was a 6th rd pick .. it’s not completely crazy to find a solid starting centers in mid rounds . Happens a lot actually

Center is one of the easier positions to scout. Jets should pick one in the 3rd round. If they see one they really like in the 2nd, bundle up both 3rd rounders and move up.

Not saying he may be the answer, but he is on our roster (along with Harrison)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jon-toth?id=2557849

verview

Toth (pronounced TOETH) is a bit of Renaissance Man, a mechanical engineering major and fluent Spanish-speaker who just happens to have been one of the top centers in college football the past couple of seasons. He redshirted in his first year in Lexington, played as a back-up in the first game of his freshman season, and then started the next 48 games in the pivot over the next four years. Toth was a SEC All-Freshman squad selection in 2013, and capped his career with a first-team all-conference effort in 2016, helping the Wildcats get to their first bowl game since 2010.

Analysis

Strengths

Four-year starter in competitive SEC. Good size and bulk. Understands his physical limitations and plays to his strengths. Fits into blocks with good body control and at a leveraged strike position. Unlocks hips at contact on down blocks to pin defender and present a running lane. Generates power from his lower half. Held his own against formidable Alabama defensive front. Utilizes efficient, compact punch. Has good hand strength to snatch and engage. Operates with plus hand placement, and willing to re-set hands to improve positioning when necessary. Able to control shoulder and steer opponent away from the hole. Good arm length for a center. Looks for work in pass protection and has enough anchor to thwart a bull rush.

Weaknesses

Marginal athlete. Plays with heavy feet and below-average lateral quickness. Could struggle with sudden redirects inside to catch blitzers and twisters. Struggles to mirror athletic, interior rushers in pass pro. Labors to recover once beaten. Snap-to-step quickness is very average. Effectiveness wanes beyond line of scrimmage. Has some hip stiffness which causes him to rely on leaning over bending. A little slow in his climb to second level.

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

Toth is a tough, four-year starter. Will appeal to teams looking for centers who can operate in a power-based rushing scheme. While he's better in a phone booth than on the move, he understands his limitations and does a good job of staying within himself. He's not the best athlete at the position but his size, arm length, strength and consistency should outweigh that on the next level. Toth has the traits and ability to be an eventual starter in the NFL. -Lance Zierlein

3 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Center is one of the easier positions to scout. Jets should pick one in the 3rd round. If they see one they really like in the 2nd, bundle up both 3rd rounders and move up.

Could be a wise move. Since Mac average is pretty bad in draft busts in later rounds, instead of wasting picks or playing Russian roulette, use them and move up for a less chance he screws up

What about this guy B.J. Finney who I stumbled upon while doing Macc's job for him over at PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-interior-offensive-linemen-set-to-enter-free-agency-in-2019

EDIT: NVM, I just found out the Steelers put a second-round tender on this guy.

10. B.J. FINNEY, CENTER

Finney is probably the most unknown of the commodities on this list after three partial seasons in which he has been stuck behind Ramon Foster, Maurkice Pouncey, and David DeCastro. When he has played, though, he has been steady and reliable, grading at 72.8 in 2016, 66.4 in 2017 and 71.5 in 2018. In the last two seasons, Finney has allowed just five pressures in 234 regular season pass-blocking snaps. That’s a track record that indicates he’s deserving of a starting role somewhere in 2019.

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

What about this guy B.J. Finney who I stumbled upon while doing Macc's job for him over at PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-interior-offensive-linemen-set-to-enter-free-agency-in-2019

10. B.J. FINNEY, CENTER

Finney is probably the most unknown of the commodities on this list after three partial seasons in which he has been stuck behind Ramon Foster, Maurkice Pouncey, and David DeCastro. When he has played, though, he has been steady and reliable, grading at 72.8 in 2016, 66.4 in 2017 and 71.5 in 2018. In the last two seasons, Finney has allowed just five pressures in 234 regular season pass-blocking snaps. That’s a track record that indicates he’s deserving of a starting role somewhere in 2019.

Steelers placed a second-round tender on OL B.J. Finney.

He'll make $3.095 million. Finney has been a backup the last three seasons in Pittsburgh, but the Steelers want to protect losing him. With Ramon Foster a free agent, Finney has a chance for an expanded 2019 role.

I cut and pasted this from Costello's article in the Post.  Sounds to me like "the plan" is Harrison full stop...

3. The Jets still need help at cornerback and at pass rusher (which probably will come in the draft). One position that has been focused on is center, but I suspect they like Jonotthan Harrison more than most fans do, and he could be their starter.

I had a conversation with someone inside the Jets a few weeks ago, and they said one of the tricky things in free agency is evaluating some of the big-money free agents versus players they already have who might be cheaper. The example used was Harrison against the free-agent centers people are talking about. The point was that Harrison played pretty well down the stretch last year, when he replaced Spencer Long, and his price tag was going to be much less than someone like Matt Paradis or Long.

At the time, I thought it was more of a theoretical conversation. Now, I’m starting to think the Jets are OK with Harrison there.

The Jets did express some interest in Paradis, who reportedly reached a deal with the Panthers on Tuesday. The Jets did not ever offer him a contract. The way I understand it is Paradis was a possibility if other things did not occur in free agency. The Jets entered with a Plan A for how they wanted to attack free agency. It feels like Paradis was part of Plan B if they did not land some of their top targets.

I liked Harrison last year BUT....

The jets liked wesly Johnson and made him starter....gag

The jets like spencer long and made him starter ....gag

The jets evaluation of players gives the fan base so little reason to  trust them on things like this.

Archived