Draft Trade Rumors

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I hear this same revisionist shi* every year.  (I'm not pointing the finger at you on this one) Oh all those other 1st rounders that I lobbied for were lousy compared to this group of dline!

Q Williams has had one year of production.  His team got destroyed in the biggest game of the year and he was a total non factor.

Oliver (who I like) is from a small school.

Bosa and Allen both  have questions.

At some point you have to strategically build a football team.  Having safeties, dlineman and ilbs drafted high every year is not a recipe to win.

Barry Sanders' scouting report said he was too short

every prospect ever has questions

There are 3 blue chips in this draft Bosa, QW and Oliver. Allen a red chip but i can see the case for blue. He's close. 

But that's it. there aren't 15 blue chips in every draft. there's a handful 

and none on offense this year 

All this talk about a trade down, I don't even think it's feasible. the price is too high. if they get multiple firsts etc ok but Mac doesn't exactly have that kind of job security 

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets traded 1.6, and 3 second rounders to move up 3 spots last year for Sam Darnold

three second rounders for 3 spots 

if the Jets GM takes 1.15 and the Skins 2nd for 1.3, that would be a fire able offense by the time NY media is through with Mac

Agreed if all we're getting back is their 2nd round pick (and #15)

35 minutes ago, slats said:

Metcalf probably scares me more than anyone else scheduled to go in the first round. 

the same dudes who believe Nick Bosa, QW, Oliver etc at 3 are flawed prospects would probably be thrilled with a DK metcalf outcome 

or any offensive player 

but that "logic" neglects the defenders are like 75% to be good right away as rookies and DK Metcalf is 75% to be hosing down the produce in whole foods in 5 years 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ruby2 said:

This is insane. Abraham wrecked games for over a decade. 10+ sacks a year guys are more valuable than the very best centers.

Abraham also has a legit case for the HOF.

Abraham sat himself down for a playoff game and disappeared in big games for us. Missed games, was not dependable

• Upvote 1

Abraham sat himself down for a playoff game and disappeared in big games for us. Missed games, was not dependable

And add in that Allen and Bosa each have their huge question marks. Short of injury, Bradbury and Taylor are about as much of a sure thing as there is in the draft for me.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yet still finished his career with 133.5 sacks.

The guy could very well be a HOFer.

As much as I love Mangold, he’s probably never getting in. Mawae was the undisputed best center in the league for a solid decade. Mangold was the best center in the league for maybe 3-4 years.

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

to answer your question they weren't nearly as good dude 

So what were they?  I presume you actually know, in order to make such a statement.

he's a 99 sparq. that means he's got rarer physical gifts than 99 percent of current D linemen

I'm glad you told me what sparq. meant, because I have no idea otherwise.  Sounds like a Madden 2019 rating.  

the sparq database only goes back to like 2013 tho

Sabremetrics in the NFL now certainly seems to be a thing.  Lots of new deeply impenetrable evaluation acronyms for thing and that.

but those guys wen't as rare athletes to be completely honest

Where you not being completely honest back then, when you loved those players?

We've been friends (I like to think) for a long time now Bit, but from my perspective you do have something of an obsession with D Tackles and Line pass rushers.  Nary a year goes by where you don't strongly promote taking one with a top tier draft pick.

side note what's the alternative to looking for rare athletes? Find the Chad Penningtons of the world?

Football Player =/= Rare Athlete.

I don't care about 40 times, or shuttle runs, or how many walks he can get with two outs in the eight inning with a man on second in May on days that begin with a T.  

Generally, I care about two things:

1. Will they produce on the football field, and do they have a resume of having been productive on a football field to this point?  

2. Are they a player at a position of need as I define it.  In the modern NFL, this generally means Offense.  

the NFL is about special players doing special things that's who wins and loses these games 

The NFL is about Offense and scoring points.  Obsessing over so-called "elite" pass rushers and being a top 5 Defense is so 1970-1990's.

Just now, RVAJet815 said:

And add in that Allen and Bosa each have their huge question marks. Short of injury, Bradbury and Taylor are about as much of a sure thing as there is in the draft for me.

Why?

Bradbury was getting pushed back consistently at the senior bowl. And I’m not even convinced he’ll be the first center off the board. Risner could very well leap him plus offers more versatility.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I hear this same revisionist shi* every year.  (I'm not pointing the finger at you on this one) Oh all those other 1st rounders that I lobbied for were lousy compared to this group of dline!

Q Williams has had one year of production.  His team got destroyed in the biggest game of the year and he was a total non factor.

Oliver (who I like) is from a small school.

Bosa and Allen both  have questions.

At some point you have to strategically build a football team.  Having safeties, dlineman and ilbs drafted high every year is not a recipe to win.

Agreed

and people forget Oliver didn’t come out of nowhere, he’s been a better prospect than Williams since high school. He was a top 10 recruit that chose to stay close to home. He was an all American as a true freshmen, and a lock for top 5 pick for 2.5 years until he wore a jacket on the sideline...

i’m Comfortable with our current d line being able to eat up blockers for our stud middle linebackers

if we can get a solid deal, trade down and get players that will have an impact on sam’s Development. Getting a center at 15 or RT will be boring, but if we can find a 10 year starter, I’m happy with boring

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Not getting the huge question mark for an edge who put up 17.5 sacks and 23 tfl last year. 

Other than it's the draft and every player has to prove his worth after being drafted

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Lions also reportedly want to trade back from 8. What if we traded with skins to 15, then moved back up to 8 and still bagged Ed Oliver?

He won't be there.  And, we'd have to give up a decent amount to go from 15 to 8, so, what exactly was the point?

Jonah Williams at 3 is ok by me. 

You’re in the minority. But I would be on with it too. Sure I’d like to get as much value as we can from the pick but I want OL. That’s what I want. I don’t see anyone outside of maybe KO that is safe on that unit.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In agree that Jonah will be a good LT at the next level. I also like most of the names you listed but I'm at a big F no to Little in the first. Hate him as a prospect. 

Watch his hands. Some of the best recovery in the draft. He’s no number 3 pick but he should go I. The first or early 2nd.

19 hours ago, varjet said:

Draft picks in future years would be hard for Mac to accept, because he knows that unless he makes the team much better this year, he will not be using those picks next year. 

So he may think he is better off with the best player he can get this year.  

Because Mac is effectively a lame duck, his interests are not aligned with the rest of Jets. 

I disagree.  Mac is always drafting for the future.  We went from 20th to 6th to 3rd in the draft order.  1st pick next year is within our reach and on this Mac NEVER disappoints.  Mikey is all about the future.

14 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

FWIW Redskins fans are calling in down here in Richmond pissed about the idea of trading up. At least it’s not a figment of our imaginations if they’re talking about it too.

Nobody likes to trade up. It's the right move. There's no guarantee they will be in position to draft a better QB than Haskins next year. And who knows if the 2020 guys are going to better. 

Why?
Bradbury was getting pushed back consistently at the senior bowl. And I’m not even convinced he’ll be the first center off the board. Risner could very well leap him plus offers more versatility.

Not gonna sit here and pretend I’ve seen every reel of tape but every bit I’ve seen has been solid. And every single profile I’ve seen of the guy projects to a long term starter in the league at a position of clear need. Add in that top C prospects have a very low bust rate and I’m on the bandwagon. I may even be driving it.
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Watch his hands. Some of the best recovery in the draft. He’s no number 3 pick but he should go I. The first or early 2nd.

jonah williams will be a good pro for a long time at some position.  i think the jets will draft him if they trade back into the 10/11 range and start him at RT immediately.  shell is still injured and sucks.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yet still finished his career with 133.5 sacks.

The guy could very well be a HOFer.

As much as I love Mangold, he’s probably never getting in. Mawae was the undisputed best center in the league for a solid decade. Mangold was the best center in the league for maybe 3-4 years.

Had nothing to stop with what he was with the Jets which led to the trade.  Along with him wanting big money. 

Mangold isn't the point, he was a top C, worth it for years. Abraham wasn't helping win big games for the Jets at the time.  Worked out for both teams.

57 minutes ago, slats said:

Metcalf probably scares me more than anyone else scheduled to go in the first round. 

I get the healthy trepidation with DK, but the "bust" cloud that's hanging 20 feet above his head, is fan made. He runs a better time in the agility drills, he's talked about as a top 10, nay, to 5 talent... but now he's the most terrifying guy in the 1st round? 

I think he'll be fine. He may never achieve the nimbleness of someone like AB. But he can be level headed Plaxico in the NFL for 10 years. 

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Trust me I've watched him or I wouldn't have given an opinion on him. Go check the draft forum, there's an entire thread on him. 

Not getting the huge question mark for an edge who put up 17.5 sacks and 23 tfl last year. 
Other than it's the draft and every player has to prove his worth after being drafted

And that’s fair but as someone with a very low risk tolerance (as most fans of this team are), I gravitate to the high floor guys. Allen strikes me as a big risk reward guy. And going DT again might just make me lose what’s left of my mind.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

jonah williams will be a good pro for a long time at some position.  i think the jets will draft him if they trade back into the 10/11 range and start him at RT immediately.  shell is still injured and sucks.

He's talking about Greg Little

29 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Exactly... I’m sick of the weak draft stuff. It may be top heavy but the difference between a late 1 and a 3 is pretty small in this draft. There’s a LOT of talent in this draft. Exactly the reason I’ll take 4 swings in the 2nd and 3rd over 1 premium top 3 pick.

I meant up front in the top 12. I agree theres good stuff in later rounds and want to trade down BAD.

are you guys saying the top 10 prospects from last years draft, including the qbs taken, are equal to this years? If so, so must smoke the crack

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

F--k a trade down 

seriously it only makes sense if the GM can draft, which this one cant 

Orlando Pace called, he's got Walter Jones on line 2, let's get James Farrior 

I get that line of thinking, but lets purge the feastering wound.... Macc will continue to hide his failures behind the likes of gimme gimmes like Adams, Darnold and (to some) Williams...

Fck it. Let him pick a handful of players between #15 and #100... either he demonstrates a massive change in strategy, or he gets walked the fck out. 

I meant up front in the top 12. I agree theres good stuff in later rounds and want to trade down BAD.

are you guys saying the top 10 prospects from last years draft, including the qbs taken, are equal to this years? If so, so must smoke the crack

Absolutely not saying that...at least I’m not. I think you can get late 1 value clear into the late 2nd. That’s my take anyway.