Am I wrong for liking this draft?

WayneChrebet80

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does it bother you at all that Wesco is yet another replacement of yet another failed Macc draft pick in Leggett?  It worries me how many of our recent picks are intended to play positions Macc has already drafted in his short tenure here.

And winning does begin in the trenches, O-Line and D-Line.  Dominate those (with appropriate pieces elsewhere) and you got a chance to compete.  Our D-Line was (and certainly now is) fine talent-wise.  Our O-Line in at best questionable, even with these picks.

While I like Q, Polite and Westco individually, you bring up an excellent point and some of these players fixing previous Mac errors.

Ive defended Mac a lot, mainly because he inherited a team that was beyond devoid of talent (Idizik 12 player draft failure)  but we have to look at Mac's mistakes too.  We are looking for a center, not because someone got hurt, but because we chose to sign Long in FA and he turned out to be a bust.  Thankfully we could get out of the contract, but we are in this problem because of a Mac mistake.

Our logjam at DLine is also directly a result of Mac's inability to manage the roster.  We took Nathan Shepard who can't play NT, even though the team had Leo, Henry Anderson as 3-4 DEs.  Now we have those same guys and Q, and have to figure out if shepherd is going to be worth a roster spot (hopefully hes a good player who bowles didnt play but who knows).

To me Mac seems like an indecisive guy.  The second trade down made no sense from a strategic point of view and then apparently he said in his press conference that guys he liked were picked right in front of him?  Well then get aggressive, trade your useless 7th rounder and move up 2 spots if necessary.  He just lets things come to him rather then aggressively going after guys.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’ll probably be seen as the best pick from this draft in a few years, honestly, similar to Jordan Jenkins. People will come to see that Quinnen isn’t actually Reggie White (probably), and that he’s just a really good DT, so the shine will be off that pick. No way Polite develops with that attitude. Edoga will start eventually. But Wesco will be the one visible pick who looks like he’s actively helping Darnold, so it’ll be received favorably 

QW and Wesco will be the two that can help immediately, besides Polite on 3rd down pass opportunities and Cashman on ST i guess.

I hated the Quinnen pick at first but i'm coming around to it, don't think Reggie White will happen but Kevin Williams from the Vikings type of career trajectory would be cool. The Polite pick Imo, is the best one Macc made. Seems like the kid has very little guidance in this process from a football standpoint besides his agent, so get him around a group of guys who know how to be pro's and he'll be fine. Polite's play on the field, matched with even a decent combine and he's a mid-1st round prospect. He should get plenty of opportunities at 1v1's with the Williams in the middle and even Jenkins may take another step.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Edoga helped darnold in college, and he’s just the modern type of RT they need, Uber athletic rather than a slow footed mauler.  

I agree on Q, probably does not become the next ______.  I think polite has showed more humility and contrition in his post draft comments than anticipated, so maybe he’ll just shut up and play hard.  Truth, if he becomes what we all hoped maudlin would be, it will have been a good pick.

Not so sure about Polite. Even his contrition bit sounds canned. “I made mistake...” followed by excuses and claims victimization: “I wasn’t prepared” is a deflection. Pass rushers have to be crazy, but they can’t be crazy and lazy. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t fill any needs, but they got a fan favorite tight end who might pick up a third down one time. Sounds about right.

Well that’s not exactly what I mean . But yeah fans tend to love the lunch pail guys.. isn’t that why you like winovich?

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’ll probably be seen as the best pick from this draft in a few years, honestly, similar to Jordan Jenkins. People will come to see that Quinnen isn’t actually Reggie White (probably), and that he’s just a really good DT, so the shine will be off that pick. No way Polite develops with that attitude. Edoga will start eventually. But Wesco will be the one visible pick who looks like he’s actively helping Darnold, so it’ll be received favorably 

What is Polite's attitude? 

Quinnen will be judged against expectations, and as "the best player in the draft,' they're obviously very high and maybe not likely to be met. We'll see. Pass rush was a huge need and QW was one of the (if not the) top pass rusher in this class. I was hoping for offense with that first third rounder, so I really hope Polite pans out. 

I prefer to be optimistic this time of year. Immediate draft grades are people basically judging what the team did vs. what they wanted them to do. I'm not gonna get myself hung up on it. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not so sure about Polite. Even his contrition bit sounds canned. “I made mistake...” followed by excuses and claims victimization: “I wasn’t prepared” is a deflection. Pass rushers have to be crazy, but they can’t be crazy and lazy. 

Maybe I’m biased because I lost a bunch of money in Vegas on the LSU/Florida game when Polite went off but the guy has elite potential. He was projected as a first rounder for awhile for a reason. He has “game wrecking” ability.

Do I trust the Jets as an organization to get the most out of him? Not really. But I like the risk. He has tremendous upside. If the Steelers drafted him he’d be an All Pro.

15 hours ago, SR24 said:

There are parts to like for sure. Adding Quinnen and Polite is huge for the defense but Mac might as well have not shown up for day 3. I can live with the TE but we took 2 players who have 5 major surgeries combined.... Mac really trying maximize the value of our medical staff I guess? I know it's rare to find quality impact players on day 3 but we probably should have stayed put and selected Julian Love. 

What is the alternative?  These are 5th and 6th round picks, it's the right place in the draft to go after high risk/high reward players.  Taking a shot at a player that at one time was on the path to being a day 1 or day 2 pick is good strategy.  You factor in current make up of roster, the work done in FA, and the work still yet to be done... 

Far too much criticism on players selected on day 3.

25 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

What is the alternative?  These are 5th and 6th round picks, it's the right place in the draft to go after high risk/high reward players.  Taking a shot at a player that at one time was on the path to being a day 1 or day 2 pick is good strategy.  You factor in current make up of roster, the work done in FA, and the work still yet to be done... 

Far too much criticism on players selected on day 3.

Right finding players that can make an impact in the 5th and 6th round is definitely hard, factor in that+ 2 players with multiple injuries and I just can’t get behind those picks. Love what Mac did in 1-3 though so it’s not all bad if Polite keeps his head on straight he’ll be the steal of the draft 

Reading through some of these comments are nauseating.

Folks act like the Jets are passing on instant WR, CB, and OL contributors in rounds 4-7. Sure some of these guys may surprise, but day 1 starters at premium positions are not usually available after rounds 1/2. I’m not going to lose my sh*t over a day 3 pick that I never watched play. 

52 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Do I trust the Jets as an organization to get the most out of him? Not really. But I like the risk. He has tremendous upside. If the Steelers drafted him he’d be an All Pro.

Exactly. The grade / narrative is based as much on the team’s drafting success as it is on the player and his potential. 

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And that’s without a 2nd round pick.  And we didn’t trade any of next year’s draft picks away.

That’s the key 

with the schedule this year and Brady still here the playoffs are a stretch so don’t mortgage the future 

when the Brady widow closes next year push the chips to the middle of the table 

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Right finding players that can make an impact in the 5th and 6th round is definitely hard, factor in that+ 2 players with multiple injuries and I just can’t get behind those picks. Love what Mac did in 1-3 though so it’s not all bad if Polite keeps his head on straight he’ll be the steal of the draft 

The biggest risk player was Austin, but was at a position of need, and the player was highly regarded that if healthy would have been a day 1 or 2 pick.  Killing this pick is absurd.  Debating there was another player on the board that would have been a better selection?  Sure, always debatable, but who and why?  All I see on the board are fans lashing out, Fire Mac, blah blah blah...  Yet, our armchair GM's don't offer up their preferred plan.

From what I've read, the Jets did their homework on these players, and with Austin's medical history.  He may never work out, but in the 6th round, that is where you select a player like Austin.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

with the schedule this year and Brady still here the playoffs are a stretch so don’t mortgage the future 

I see the annual tradition of Jets Fans giving up any hope for the season before Preseason has even started lives on....

3 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

The biggest risk player was Austin, but was at a position of need, and the player was highly regarded that if healthy would have been a day 1 or 2 pick.  Killing this pick is absurd.  Debating there was another player on the board that would have been a better selection?  Sure, always debatable, but who and why?  All I see on the board are fans lashing out, Fire Mac, blah blah blah...  Yet, our armchair GM's don't offer up their preferred plan.

From what I've read, the Jets did their homework on these players, and with Austin's medical history.  He may never work out, but in the 6th round, that is where you select a player like Austin.

As acting jetsnation forum armchair General Manager I would have stayed at #105 and drafted Julian Love. We passed on the highest rated CB in the 4th that could come in and compete for the starting job to get more picks to draft a CB with 2 knee surgeries and a LB with 2 shoulder surgeries and you’re upset because people are questioning the picks? As if  Mac has never given us reason to question is draft selections?

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Impossible Crusher has put more All you can eat restaurants out of business then anyone in history..

It's culinary Darwinism.  The all-you-can-eat salad places will survive but the Churrascaria places?  Nothing but a dim memory.

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

As acting jetsnation forum armchair General Manager I would have stayed at #105 and drafted Julian Love. We passed on the highest rated CB in the 4th that could come in and compete for the starting job to get more picks to draft a CB with 2 knee surgeries and a LB with 2 shoulder surgeries and you’re upset because people are questioning the picks? As if  Mac has never given us reason to question is draft selections?

I actually think Jets fans spend far too much time killing the GM overall, because it seems the "hip" thing to do and we have a lot of arm chair GM's in the fan base.  Some deserve it, some don't.  Always good to debate, but except for the few draftnik's or the people on the board that do some of this for a living or as a hobby and have *some* credence to their views, most of us don't have nearly the access these people do, and I always get a kick at how brash and naive fans can be on this topic.

The Jets fan base overall are the most cynical in the country.  I get it that the team has earned some of that, I've been one for over 35 years.  But fans have no patience, and it drives me nuts.

Anyway, I actually think Mac has done a good job overall.  I look at the entire body of work.  This team heading into this year, compared to what he had when he took over.  There is a LOT to be excited about with this roster, going into THIS season.  Every roster has holes, not every position and every slot on the 53 will be a first round pick.  I think draft strategy requires to get the best talent first, tayloring to needs fit, culture, and player "type" based on coaching regime's strategy second.  Like every GM, even the greatest ever, they make mistakes, they "miss," etc etc...  Mac has done a good job getting this roster to where it is today, taking over a complete mess, with players that they themselves failed.   Players like Wilkerson and Richardson, great talents that just decided to let themselves go...  That's not always on the GM.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's culinary Darwinism.  The all-you-can-eat salad places will survive but the Churrascaria places?  Nothing but a dim memory.

You can pile bacon and ham on the salads if you get the right place

Generally post draft analysis has been positive for the Jets through our recent history(including Idzik and Mac) .  None the less in hindsight our drafts have suked.  I think we fans know a lot more about what our team needs than some TV/blogger/sports writer types.  We may not know who we should have picked but we do recognize a bad draft when we see one.   This draft was not very helpful or constructive.   

Absolutely the only things I like are the blocking OT and the blocking TE.....the rest to my eyes are a waste of effort.

Anotehr DT really, didn't we draft a few and sign a few FA's very recently?  Aren't we already jammed up at this position?     

10 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

I actually think Jets fans spend far too much time killing the GM overall, because it seems the "hip" thing to do and we have a lot of arm chair GM's in the fan base.  Some deserve it, some don't.  Always good to debate, but except for the few draftnik's or the people on the board that do some of this for a living or as a hobby and have *some* credence to their views, most of us don't have nearly the access these people do, and I always get a kick at how brash and naive fans can be on this topic.

The Jets fan base overall are the most cynical in the country.  I get it that the team has earned some of that, I've been one for over 35 years.  But fans have no patience, and it drives me nuts.

Anyway, I actually think Mac has done a good job overall.  I look at the entire body of work.  This team heading into this year, compared to what he had when he took over.  There is a LOT to be excited about with this roster, going into THIS season.  Every roster has holes, not every position and every slot on the 53 will be a first round pick.  I think draft strategy requires to get the best talent first, tayloring to needs fit, culture, and player "type" based on coaching regime's strategy second.  Like every GM, even the greatest ever, they make mistakes, they "miss," etc etc...  Mac has done a good job getting this roster to where it is today, taking over a complete mess, with players that they themselves failed.   Players like Wilkerson and Richardson, great talents that just decided to let themselves go...  That's not always on the GM.

Well said brother 

If the Jets somehow managed to somehow draft the top rated edge rusher, center, CB, and wide receiver while simultaneously trading back to stockpile double the number of late rounds picks, half of this board would still be bitching about ti.

Yes because Macc’s track record suggests he drafts the good players, and we shouldn’t have any reason not to trust him.

Many of these 5th 6th and 7th rounders that many were banging the table for that Mac passed on will be available via waiver claims after they're cut in August.

Mac seemed to have a plan to improve the team. Wesco will help the run game and thankfully replace Tomlinson.  Edoga the passing game. Cashman LB depth with a chance to be a special teams monster. 

I didn't love the Rutgers CB either. I feel we didn't need another project CB, but if he's better than what we have it could only be a plus. 

Mac's made his share of draft blunders. But tell me which GM hasn't. 

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed. Ive been searching but I havent seen one analyst say we had a bad draft. On here....different story lol

That's what they say every year. Then reality sets in for Jets fans and we're staring at 3 starters in 4 years of drafting. Your post makes it sound like Jets fans are close minded A$$HOLES. Not true.

6 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

That's what they say every year. Then reality sets in for Jets fans and we're staring at 3 starters in 4 years of drafting. Your post makes it sound like Jets fans are close minded A$$HOLES. Not true.

When did I say jet fans were close minded assholes?  Just because I refuse to be a doom and gloom fan doesnt mean I'm a Macc cheerleader. Ive bashed him many times.  I said this draft was a B which is pretty fair

15 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I actually really like the Cardinals draft. They got what they believe to be there QB of the future in Murray. Then they gave him 3 stud recievers in Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler, and keesean Johnson. I would have been ecstatic if the jets drafted one of these guys.

They also added a good CB in Byron Murphy in the second, Center Lamont Gaillard And a developmental Tackle in Joshua miles.  

I know that the Cardinals draft is the "flavor of the month", but let's take it into perspective.  The Cardinals had 11 picks, we had six. That gives them a lot more flexibility than we had.

I don't buy into the perception that Kyler Murray is going to be a superstar in the NFL. They gave away Josh Rosen for that second round pick.  They could have done better, if they had marketed him sooner, and in the proper way. 

Byron Murphy is a nice player.  He wasn't going to be available to us.  Andy Isabella is going to be a good slot receiver.  We already have one, maybe two.  He wasn't a need for us. He wasn't available to us either.  Jachai Polite is a better player than Zack Allen.  We took him three picks later.

Hakeem Butler is a tall receiver, who flashes potential.  He also has hands of stone. He is no sure thing. We had more pressing needs in the 4th round, in my opinion.  Everyone was yelling about the Offensive Line.  They were right.  We took Edoga.  He will be a solid fixture on the Offensive Line for years to come. Our next pick in the 4th was the tight end Wesco.  Also a strong addition to the offensive line.  He can catch too.  Fits Adam Gase offensive philosophy to a "T".

The Cardinals 5th rounder was a safety.  No need to discuss that. Ours was a well regarded linebacker.  Maybe overkill, but he is a football player.  We need more of those.

The Cardinals two sixth rounders Gaillard and KeeSean Johnson, were taken before we picked. Johnson will be a rotational receiver, not a star. Nice player, I would rather have Anthony Johnson of Buffalo, who wasn't even drafted.  Gaillard is a good  prospect. Our draft pick in the sixth round was a reach.  That's being kind.   I think he would have been available as an UDFA.  Headscratcher.

We didn't have a seventh round draft choice.  It was traded to Minnesota to move up one spot  for Edoga.  Don't know why.  The Jets do.  I'm sure they had a reason.  The Cardinals took an Offensive Tackle, Defensive Tackle, and a Tight End.  Any Offensive Tackle taken in the seventh round is a project, or reach.  We drafted a Tight End who is miles better than a 7th rounder, and we don't need to discuss DT do we?

The way I see it, The Cardinals overdrafted Kyler Murray, who came at the expense of the #1 overall pick,  last years #1 pick, [#10 overall] plus the draft capital they had to sacrifice to move up to get Rosen in the first place.  A #3 and #5 to the Raiders. That's a lot to give up for Murray.  Hope for their sake they're right.  They drafted a ton of receivers, and did little to nothing to upgrade their woeful Offensive Line. If a sixth and seventh round draft pick was all we dedicated to upgrading our line the board would go ballistic.  Oh, that's right, they already are.  Murray will be running for his life, much as Rosen did last year.  Good thing he's a lot faster, and more mobile.

I understand your desire for another Wide Receiver.  I don't have your same opinion that it's a pressing need.  We'll see.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I know that the Cardinals draft is the "flavor of the month", but let's take it into perspective.  The Cardinals had 11 picks, we had six. That gives them a lot more flexibility than we had.

I don't buy into the perception that Kyler Murray is going to be a superstar in the NFL. They gave away Josh Rosen for that second round pick.  They could have done better, if they had marketed him sooner, and in the proper way. 

Byron Murphy is a nice player.  He wasn't going to be available to us.  Andy Isabella is going to be a good slot receiver.  We already have one, maybe two.  He wasn't a need for us. He wasn't available to us either.  Jachai Polite is a better player than Zack Allen.  We took him three picks later.

Hakeem Butler is a tall receiver, who flashes potential.  He also has hands of stone. He is no sure thing. We had more pressing needs in the 4th round, in my opinion.  Everyone was yelling about the Offensive Line.  They were right.  We took Edoga.  He will be a solid fixture on the Offensive Line for years to come. Our next pick in the 4th was the tight end Wesco.  Also a strong addition to the offensive line.  He can catch too.  Fits Adam Gase offensive philosophy to a "T".

The Cardinals 5th rounder was a safety.  No need to discuss that. Ours was a well regarded linebacker.  Maybe overkill, but he is a football player.  We need more of those.

The Cardinals two sixth rounders Gaillard and KeeSean Johnson, were taken before we picked. Johnson will be a rotational receiver, not a star. Nice player, I would rather have Anthony Johnson of Buffalo, who wasn't even drafted.  Gaillard is a good  prospect. Our draft pick in the sixth round was a reach.  That's being kind.   I think he would have been available as an UDFA.  Headscratcher.

We didn't have a seventh round draft choice.  It was traded to Minnesota to move up one spot  for Edoga.  Don't know why.  The Jets do.  I'm sure they had a reason.  The Cardinals took an Offensive Tackle, Defensive Tackle, and a Tight End.  Any Offensive Tackle taken in the seventh round is a project, or reach.  We drafted a Tight End who is miles better than a 7th rounder, and we don't need to discuss DT do we?

The way I see it, The Cardinals overdrafted Kyler Murray, who came at the expense of the #1 overall pick,  last years #1 pick, [#10 overall] plus the draft capital they had to sacrifice to move up to get Rosen in the first place.  A #3 and #5 to the Raiders. That's a lot to give up for Murray.  Hope for their sake they're right.  They drafted a ton of receivers, and did little to nothing to upgrade their woeful Offensive Line. If a sixth and seventh round draft pick was all we dedicated to upgrading our line the board would go ballistic.  Oh, that's right, they already are.  Murray will be running for his life, much as Rosen did last year.  Good thing he's a lot faster, and more mobile.

I understand your desire for another Wide Receiver.  I don't have your same opinion that it's a pressing need.  We'll see.

Good Post. Look I know many simply just wanted offense but it doesnt work that way especially in this draft which quite frankly much stronger on the defensive side

Archived