Cimini: Summary of the draft

15 minutes ago, Mac is a Tool said:

On one hand, kinda stupid to blow a piss test you know is coming. But was it pot, a rough night out or something hard? While the NFL doesn't think so, the rest of the country doesn't see much difference between a joint and a Bud Light. I understand they don't want to be the NBA where pot and roids are a pregame meal(without chemicals the NBA would be 2 on 2 and feature even less defense  and giving a f---) l, but you have to conform to reality that pot is no longer viewed as the demon weed it once was. These guys are playing a collision sport; they're going to seek pain relief in some form or other. 

Drafted a guy who will go on the PUP list out of the box; WTF? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Pretty much agree with Cimini for the first time ever.  There is a lot of bust potential in our draft.  I don’t like the Edoga and Austin picks at all.

Williams will be a great starter in the league who will be not sexy stat wise but will open up a lot of things for everyone else, and it probably means that Leonard walks next year. (So we sorta side-grade).  Polite likely is the make or break part of our draft class and I thought he was a bit of a reach.  He’s very raw, and he’s not going to be good right away.  With the right coaching and great development...  maybe a rank 20ish OLB ceiling.  With bad coaching, he could be out of the league in a few years.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

High risk high reward picks...

Was it done out of desperation or stupidity?

I definitely think Polite will be starting week 1.

We'll just have to wait and see how they all pan out.

Macc's not done yet.

Yeah Q, polite and I hope edoga are gonna be on the team long term. The rest are ehhhhhhhhh

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Macc can still salvage this with a trade or two, a lot of players will be available after the draft. Let’s see what he does.

All I care about are the players getting cut because of the rookies. What solid vets can we acquire? Hopefully there will be an article with potential cuts soon. 

• Upvote 1

Usually I have a knee jerk reaction to a draft, but then calm down, and get excited about the picks. Not this year. These picks do not make us a better team, and the picks for the most part are very very risky. The TE was a good pick. Williams unless he adds 15 sacks to this team will have ZERO impact. No playmakers. A bad character project OT. Serious injury concerns in last couple picks. Polite us FAR more likely to bust than be successful. You look at other teams and you can see their plan. They draft playmakers. Lots if them. We draft none. We draft the same positions each year, and act like DL is the only position that matters. We did nothing to help Darnold other than a blocking TE which sadly is our best pick. The reality is that even if all of these players are good we are not a better team. Sad.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

High risk high reward picks...

Was it done out of desperation o

I think yes.  Mac knows his job is on the line.  He swings for the fences and misses, he is gone....but he was likely gone anyway.  He swings for the fences and hits homeruns, he saves his job.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Almost like we had only one pick from the first 68 available.

Bunch of whiny dudes don’t get this. 

Q massive day 1 starter. 

Polite possible top 2 Edge rusher and the RT possible 10 year starter. 

But but but we took an injured player in round 6!!

Yeah dumb pick but the rest hits needs or were BPAish. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

We only had 1 pick in the first two rounds. Of course Q is the only day one starter. 3rd+ round picks are not day one starters 90% of the time. That being said... both Polite and Wesco will be huge impact contributors next year- that’s more than most late round picks can say.

Not true. Most NFL teams rely on their top 3 round selections to be starters almost from day one, if not growing into over the course of their rookie season. 

The NYJ problem is:

1) They are seriously lacking talent to begin with.

2) Mac sucks at drafting and purposefully drained this team of talent so he could build the team in his image.

3) Most of Mac's draft pick start from day one, but certainly not because they are deserving. They are starting because there are no better options already on the team.

4) The Jets overall yield of players drafted lasting in the league is horrendous. Far worse than prominent, competitive organizations. Go figure.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Bugg said:

On one hand, kinda stupid to blow a piss test you know is coming. But was it pot, a rough night out or something hard? While the NFL doesn't think so, the rest of the country doesn't see much difference between a joint and a Bud Light. I understand they don't want to be the NBA where pot and roids are a pregame meal(without chemicals the NBA would be 2 on 2 and feature even less defense  and giving a f---) l, but you have to conform to reality that pot is no longer viewed as the demon weed it once was. These guys are playing a collision sport; they're going to seek pain relief in some form or other. 

Drafted a guy who will go on the PUP list out of the box; WTF? 

agree with this and shockingly with Cimini on the summary (maybe the praise Kim Jones in getting for bashing the giants finally lit a fire)

Edoga reuniting with Sam is my favorite pick

I think Polite could start in some packages

Bradbury and Greedy with Washington's first two picks, just saying...

12 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

It would be nice if one of the major beat reporters who cover this team actually gave a ___ about this franchise.

There’s plenty Conor Hughes, Conor Rogers, Chris Nimbley, Darryl Slater also guy like our very own Glen Naughton from JN . all do great jobs covering the jets . 

Michael Nania  for advance stats and Joe Blewitt for nice detailed deep dive film breakdown on individual jets players. 

Manish has sources he is right about a lot things.(IE Wilkerson) but jets fans will never give him credit cause he came on the scene like idiot . 

Cimini is trash though no sources inside the jets and all his opinions come from his friends at espn . 

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

There’s plenty Conor Hughes, Conor Rogers, Chris Nimbley, Darryl Slater also guy like our very own Glen Naughton from JN . all do great jobs covering the jets . 

Michael Nania  for advance stats and Joe Blewitt for nice detailed deep dive film breakdown on individual jets players. 

Manish has sources he is right about a lot things.(IE Wilkerson) but jets fans will never give him credit cause he came on the scene like idiot . 

Cimini is trash though no sources inside the jets and all his opinions come from his friends at espn . 

I read Nimbley and Slater pretty frequently, and also love the stuff over on Jetsfix for just blog material.  I've interacted with Hughes a bit on Reddit.  He can come off a bit too "fan boy" but seems dedicated.