Mac fired!

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Does anyone actually believe we are headed in the right direction?  Shefter listed GM possibilities all of whom were tied to Gase.  Seriously?  We're letting Emperor Gase pick in the next GM?

You have too otherwise its Rex/Idzik power dynamic again 

Just now, sec101row23 said:

It’s frustrating because Maccagnan should have, and deserved to be fired along with Bowles.  The fact that Maccagnan was allowed to oversee two off seasons with over $100 million in cap space was ludicrous and disgusting.  

That's my issue but better late than never .

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I agree, but this is exactly what Mangini was. Him and Woody hated each others guts and Mangini was fired for being a dick to Woody, among other things.. My worry is CJ fired Maccagnan because he couldnt fire Gase after just hiring him. I get the sense that CJ was blindsided on how irritable Gase's personality is- the total opposite of Bowles, a pushover. Either way, hopefully CJ is totally aligned with Gase and Gase knows what he's doing. If CJ meddles Gase will just quit,

Your worry is that Mac hired Gase, and then CJ told Mac to fire him after not coaching a single game, and then Mac couldn't do it? 

Sorry I just didn't follow that part. 

What gives you any sense that CJ the owner is getting irritable with Gase's personality? How much time do you think the owner spends at the facility with the coaching staff? it has to be minimal?

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the GM is a guy he's worked with before at 2 spots and had success with, Gase won't be running the show.  He'll defer to the GM on personnel and coach the team the GM gives him.

Gase + Eagles guy is a great end result if it happens.  It's likely a far better result than we would have gotten had we fired Macc and Bowles together in January. 

This is complete BS and I think you know it, LOL.

Gase is going to hand pick the next GM, and that man will be beholden to him. Gase is not deferring to anyone now...

There is no way Gase is working "under" the new guy. If I'm wrong and they hire someone who won't accept that. this is the same old crap we just went through with Macc and Bowles.

• Upvote 2

Just now, sec101row23 said:

It’s frustrating because Maccagnan should have, and deserved to be fired along with Bowles.  The fact that Maccagnan was allowed to oversee two off seasons with over $100 million in cap space was ludicrous and disgusting.  

one thing about the johnsons - they always need 1 guy they lean on and make decisions around that guy.  first it was parcells, then tanny, then mccagnan via casserly.  with gase coming, he probably supplanted mcags as the johnsons' go to guy.  thus mccagnan became expendable.  decisions will now be made with gase's desires in mind.  gase is the new rasputin.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

This is complete BS and I think you know it, LOL.

Gase is going to hand pick the next GM, and that man will be beholden to him.

There is no way Gase is working "under" the new guy. If I'm wrong and they hire someone who won't accept that. this is the same old crap we just went through with Macc and Bowles.

I tend to agree with you but maybe it was a compromise and temporary just for the sake of getting rid of Mac. Not sure what to expect but I don’t even care because Mac is gone. That’s all I care about right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Your worry is that Mac hired Gase, and then CJ told Mac to fire him after not coaching a single game, and then Mac couldn't do it? 

Sorry I just didn't follow that part. 

What gives you any sense that CJ the owner is getting irritable with Gase's personality? How much time do you think the owner spends at the facility with the coaching staff? it has to be minimal?

My worry is Johnson was blindsided about how crazy Gase is and panicked by firing a GM he liked because he couldn’t fire w coach 4 months after hiring him. Let’s be honest, everything has been off since the bizarre Gase press conference when he got the job. Actually it predates that as the search was a mess too.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

one thing about the johnsons - they always need 1 guy they lean on and make decisions around that guy.  first it was parcells, then tanny, then mccagnan via casserly.  with gase coming, he probably supplanted mcags as the johnsons' go to guy.  thus mccagnan became expendable.  decisions will now be made with gase's desires in mind.  gase is the new rasputin.

Yeah and Gase's desires are to develop Darnold. Which is what Macc's desires should have been. Gase's success is directly tied to Darnold so he will be willing to do anything in his power to develop Darnold. We should all be on board with that philosophy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

My worry is Johnson was blindsided about how crazy Gase was and panicked by firing a GM he liked. Let’s be honest, everything has been off since the bizarre Gase press conference when he got the job.

tough to say that mccagnan was truly liked as a gm.  

Just now, choon328 said:

Yeah and Gase's desires are to develop Darnold. Which is what Macc's desires should have been. Gase's success is directly tied to Darnold so he will be willing to do anything in his power to develop Darnold. We should all be on board with that philosophy. 

true, at least the guy calling the shots is not spewing BPA or defense.  

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I agree, but this is exactly what Mangini was. Him and Woody hated each others guts and Mangini was fired for being a dick to Woody, among other things.. My worry is CJ fired Maccagnan because he couldnt fire Gase after just hiring him. I get the sense that CJ was blindsided on how irritable Gase's personality is- the total opposite of Bowles, a pushover. Either way, hopefully CJ is totally aligned with Gase and Gase knows what he's doing. If CJ meddles Gase will just quit,

Not to go down a Mangini debate but that's who he was in theory.  And maybe who he thought himself to be but he wasnt because he just clearly wasnt dynamic enough of an individual to pull it off.  Hence why he was fired and Tanny was retained and was a failure in Clev.

Unless you're right and it's because he couldnt fire Gase because of the optics, this is a different situation.  Gase clearly showed he's capable of pulling the ultimate power move on CJ.   I cant imagine CJ was blindsided by Gase being so difficult.  That's very public.  So maybe they are lock step and we're ride or die on Gase.

I'm intrigued. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

That's my issue but better late than never .

Agreed.  Better late than never.  But we just let Macc preside over an offseason with $100MM cap space and the 3rd overall pick in the draft.  A good GM could  have done an awful lot to make this team over with those resources.  A wasted opportunity.  But yes, better late than never.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Not to go down a Mangini debate but that's who he was in theory.  And maybe who he thought himself to be but he wasnt because he just clearly wasnt dynamic enough of an individual to pull it off.  Hence why he was fired and Tanny was retained and was a failure in Clev.

Unless you're right and it's because he couldnt fire Gase because of the optics, this is a different situation.  Gase clearly showed he's capable of pulling the ultimate power move on CJ.   I cant imagine CJ was blindsided by Gase being so difficult.  That's very public.  So maybe they are lock step and we're ride or die on Gase.

I'm intrigued. 

I liked Mangini, but Mangini was fake-tough and doing Belichick cosplay. Gase seems like a legit psycho who doesn’t give a fuçk. People know the difference and respond accordingly 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Better late than never.  But we just let Macc preside over an offseason with $100MM cap space and the 3rd overall pick in the draft.  A good GM could  have done an awful lot to make this team over with those resources.  A wasted opportunity.  But yes, better late than never.

We should still have plenty of money next year and this time a 2nd rounder.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We should still have plenty of money next year and this time a 2nd rounder.

Agreed, but that is still a year from now.  I am frustrated by the opportunity cost of allowing Macc to preside over another offseason and then firing him now.  should have been done 4 months ago.  14-34 shoudl have been enough to convince CJ that he was not the answer.  Who knows how much different this roster (and coaching staff) might look now if Macc had been canned in January.  

Is what it is now.  Time to move on and hope for the best.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm intrigued. 

Chris could clear this up by actually speaking about things other than the uniforms .

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Agreed, but that is still a year from now.  I am frustrated by the opportunity cost of allowing Macc to preside over another offseason and then firing him now.  should have been done 4 months ago.  14-34 shoudl have been enough to convince CJ that he was not the answer.  Who knows how much different this roster (and coaching staff) might look now if Macc had been canned in January.  

Is what it is now.  Time to move on and hope for the best.

Agreed.  It just reeks of pure dysfunction and incompetence that Chris Johnson allowed Maccagnan to spend all that money and draft capital, to only fire him less than a month after the draft.   Now we’ll have the head coach hire the new GM and another cycle of dysfunction will ensue.  

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

My worry is Johnson was blindsided about how crazy Gase is and panicked by firing a GM he liked because he couldn’t fire w coach 4 months after hiring him. Let’s be honest, everything has been off since the bizarre Gase press conference when he got the job. Actually it predates that as the search was a mess too.

I just don't see that being an issue but who knows what really pushed Mac out the door. I just think it it was something between Gase and Mac, with all of Mac's history and the face that Gase can bring potential to Darnold's progress, CJ made the right choice. 

I am not sure what you mean about everything being off or bizarre since Gase has been here. Only thing odd was the article regarding Gase not wanting to overpay for Bell and CJ Mosley, which I actually like both the deals, think they are going to be good moves. 

Either way probably just something the media is blowing up on a day we fire the GM. Sure Gase and Bell won't even bring it up. 

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So Macc was the adult in the room? You're embarrassing yourself. Take the L and move on with your life.

I'm not suggesting that at all.  There hasn't been an adult in the room since the Johnsons bought the team.  However, now there isn't even a teenager in the room.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it’s my football view (proper football), but a move like this is just nowhere near as “toxic” or as bad as people are making out. Perhaps people expect it to be different in the US game. 

But when a football team in the UK, or Europe, hires a new Manager, they sign on with ultimate control of a team. You more often than not, find they play a part in the hiring of a “Director of Football”, essentially the equivalent of the GM in the American game. 

Someone the Manager has a previous relationship with, someone who wants the same things for the team, someone who buys into the vision the Manager has for the next 3-5 years. 

The Director of Football is “higher up” within the business side of the game whilst the Manager handles the team but the Manager still rules the roost.

I’m more than satisfied Gase has come in and bulldozed his way to a scenario where he thinks he can be successful. The opposite has got the Jets the square root of ******* nowhere in the last few seasons. 

Bring it on. Jet up. 

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think the Johnsons absolutely liked him.

Of course they did. They had all those leaks about mac staying and bowles going middle of last season where they leaked that they liked the talent on the team and felt it was underperforming. They then kept Mac to interview Coaches and run free agency and the draft. 

Just morons. 

• Upvote 1

Wow!  This is one of the more puzzling and dysfunctional situations i've seen.  A new coach installed by a GM, usurps the same GM's authority before training camp even starts, and forces managements hand (who are decidedly incompetent).

I dislike everything Mac has done in his tenure here.  I hate his spending on high priced fool's gold, and I don't like his drafts or team building philosophies.   The best thing he did in FA this year, was to resign Anderson on a team friendly deal.  Anyway I digress.

The big problem is that we are now going to be in a situation where every current player on a roster, including this years draft class and FA acquisitions are subject to being cut in favor of the new regime's vision of things.

It's a pretty horrifying way to run things, and imo our management should be instantly fired as well.  Let the GM run things, and report directly to the team owner, like every other franchise.  This multiple faced hydra and associated power struggles is guaranteed to continue to be a problem

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I liked Mangini, but Mangini was fake-tough and doing Belichick cosplay. Gase seems like a legit psycho who doesn’t give a fuçk. People know the difference and respond accordingly 

Is it good or bad that Gase is a pyscho? Is that preferable to fake-tough 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The one thing I'll give Gase, is he's got relationships with legit people in the NFL.  Mac was a hack, respected by no one.  If I'm putting someone in charge to structure the FO, I'll take Gase over Mac anyday.  At least he's got the ear of some respected dudes with influence. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Think about it from everyone's perspective, assuming that the observations of this Board are probably pretty accurate.  

CJ said that they team was going to support Sam.  Gase probably told Mac to build an OL, and not overpay Bell.  

Mac missed on the FA Centers (who were not that overpaid, if at all), drafted another DT and gave big money to an ILB and DE, in addition to Bell.  

His draft picks were questionable.  

Gase probably made the case that Mac was not supporting his agenda.  

2 hours ago, rammagen said:

nope and you may be operating under the assumption Douglas would be the one to say no. The Eagles have the right to deny an interview or even postpone till after the season if they are still playing. It has happened in the past and will happen again in the future. 

most recently with Eagles in Jan with Douglas.  It seems like their denying him a chance with the Texans is not hurting him with Jets now is it?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-prevent-texans-interviewing-rising-front-office-star

No I was answering the question of why Doughlas wasn't hired before the draft.  Your thinking may be right but only to apoint.  Not allowing him to interview or go to Houston was only possible because the Eagles were still playing football.  Once the Eagles were out of the playoffs they didn't need permission to talk to Douglas.  So there isn't a mechanism to stop the Jets from interviewing or hiring Douglas

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

Think about it from everyone's perspective, assuming that the observations of this Board are probably pretty accurate.  

CJ said that they team was going to support Sam.  Gase probably told Mac to build an OL, and not overpay Bell.  

Mac missed on the FA Centers (who were not that overpaid, if at all), drafted another DT and gave big money to an ILB and DE, in addition to Bell.  

His draft picks were questionable.  

Gase probably made the case that Mac was not supporting his agenda.  

Bottom line, Maccagnan paid $165 million dollars to an ILBer, RB and slot receiver this year.  Decent players, but stupid money for those positions.  

• Sympathy 1

I want to comment first and then read 23 pages of previous comments.

I shed no tears for Macc. I liked the guy, but his record precedes him. You are what your record says you are. I wanted to see him succeed, but his final grade is F. 

My beef is with Jets ownership. They are absolutely clueless, and I hope to one day look back at this comment and eat crow. How do you let a guy spend on free agents and then allow him to draft before firing him? I hope that there are answers that clarify this. 

• Sympathy 1