Jamal recruiting Clowney

Rhg1084

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So there is no such thing as organizational tampering eh?

Hell a few years back woody said something like 'We like Revis and he was good for us when he was last here.'  and he got dinged for tampering did he not?

Clowney is not under contract.  Hasn't signed his tag -- not sure if that makes a difference, but it might.

Just a few days ago, we heard that the Dolphins considered themselves the favorites to land the former first overall pick. The Jets, Redskins, Seahawks, and Eagles have all also held conversations with Houston about trading for Clowney. Since Clowney can’t be traded until he signs his franchise tender, he has the leverage to shoot down a potential trade. He’s apparently more interested in joining a playoff contender, as Seattle and Philadelphia are said to be his preferred destinations.

From ProFootballRumors.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hell a few years back woody said something like 'We like Revis and he was good for us when he was last here.'  and he got dinged for tampering did he not?

I believe the tampering rule doesn't extend to the players - only the front office/ownership. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

How does one recruit someone whose being traded? Fact is Clowney doesn't have much say as to where he goes. 

Usually true but how contract situation is hairy. Teams will want to extend him to a long term deal if they trade for him, so his blessing is actually important. Problem is, no one can give him a new deal until after the season due to franchise tag restrictions. I think that really lowers his trade value.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Lith said:

Clowney is not under contract.  Hasn't signed his tag -- not sure if that makes a difference, but it might.

I also think they look the other way when it's a player and not someone from management making these statements.

Someone explain to me why we would even consider this? He's not a 15 sack guy, and we cannot sign him to a long contract. He will chew up both 2019 and 2020 cap space (less rollover), cost us draft capital and ability to protect Sam                                                

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Players can be fined for it . But just like every other sports league it’s not in enforced. Owners and coaches do it in public on the other hand and those wallets will get hit. 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The FA crop for WR’s and OL next offseason is pretty terrible. Arguably worse than this past offseason.

Also, I don’t see the Jets picking in the Top 10 next year...so what are the odds of us landing an edgerusher as good or better than Clowney in the latter half of the 1st round, much less after that?

I wouldn’t give up a 1st for him, but a 2nd? Yeah, sure. And that’s supposedly what the Texans are seeking.

The next 2 years is prime time for spending before he have to start devoting a huge chunk of the cap towards Darnold every year moving forward.

Clowney isn’t Khalil Mack (if he was, you’d have to part with a minimum of two 1st round picks in order to obtain him), but he’s still a damn good player who is one of the more freakish edgerushers in the league and is still only 26.

Draft is looking pretty strong at both positions though. Especially Receiver. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Draft is looking pretty strong at both positions though. Especially Receiver. 

Sure, and WR/OL is hands down my preferred route for our 1st round pick next year. Give me someone like Tee Higgins or Walker Little and I’ll be over the moon.

But I’d still give up a 2nd for Clowney (preferably a 3rd and maybe a conditional pick). Otherwise, odds are we’ll just continue marching out the Brandon Copeland’s, Frankie Luvu’s and Harvey Langi’s of the NFL landscape.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1