Is it time to start talking 0-16?

STLuLu

14 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Fair point but Ryan Grigson had Andrew Luck. You're not going to win many games with Luke Falk. The killer was blowing that game week 1.

True. However, it's nobody's fault that Darnold got mono but Darnold's so we can't use Falk as a scapegoat.

We will pick top 5 or higher.  Safer to keep Sam out for the year. The season will be lost by the time he’s even cleared in mid November so  why risk it. Regardless of where we pick, trade down and acquire more picks. Start trading players NOW for picks. Clean house. Adams, Leo, Maye, Winters, whoever they can and acquire picks. Let JD and all those great minds he’s brought in rebuild this team. The talent on this roster is putrid. It desperately needs to be upgraded.

10 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

We will pick top 5 or higher.  Safer to keep Sam out for the year. The season will be lost by the time he’s even cleared in mid November so  why risk it. Regardless of where we pick, trade down and acquire more picks. Start trading players NOW for picks. Clean house. Adams, Leo, Maye, Winters, whoever they can and acquire picks. Let JD and all those great minds he’s brought in rebuild this team. The talent on this roster is putrid. It desperately needs to be upgraded.

I actually disagree I think it’s better for Sam’s development that he comes back and plays well in our second half cupcake games

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the better questions is...let's say we do go 0-16 - or simply get the #1 pick.

What do we do with it knowing there are supposedly two generational type QB's available.

Trade down and take in a haul....

Trade Darnold and take one of the QB's...

It's sad but these are legitimate questions we have to ask.

I didn't watch the game today because I knew it would be a waste of time.  But this is the same thing I was thinking of.

Lets say you get the 1st overall pick.  It will be hard to get enough of a haul.  We are talking Justin Herbert and Tua Tagovailoa.  

What if you take Tua, and you can get multiple firsts for Sam Darnold?  

You then have more ammo to rebuild the team, and you reset the clock for the QB contract to 5-6 years.  I think Darnold is going to be a good QB in this league, but we are talking about a team that is looking like going 0-16, and new GM's notoriously want THEIR guy at QB.

It is not so far-fetched.  

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I didn't watch the game today because I knew it would be a waste of time.  But this is the same thing I was thinking of.

Lets say you get the 1st overall pick.  It will be hard to get enough of a haul.  We are talking Justin Herbert and Tua Tagovailoa.  

What if you take Tua, and you can get multiple firsts for Sam Darnold?  

You then have more ammo to rebuild the team, and you reset the clock for the QB contract to 5-6 years.  I think Darnold is going to be a good QB in this league, but we are talking about a team that is looking like going 0-16, and new GM's notoriously want THEIR guy at QB.

It is not so far-fetched.  

I love Darnold...I think he's going to be amazing..but it's worth a discussion. 

If you can get a 1 for Darnold and you think Tua or Herbert has a better future you have to do it.  

Crazy but that might be what we're faced with....

With that said, if Darnold comes back at in a reasonable time he's good enough that we're not getting 1 or 2

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I love Darnold...I think he's going to be amazing..but it's worth a discussion. 

If you can get a 1 for Darnold and you think Tua or Herbert has a better future you have to do it.  

Crazy but that might be what we're faced with....

With that said, if Darnold comes back at in a reasonable time he's good enough that we're not getting 1 or 2

Maybe you shut Darnold down for the year knowing its a lost season and get yourself in the position to possibly do this?

It will all come down to those Miami games, because I don't see us beating ANYBODY in the league other than them.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the better questions is...let's say we do go 0-16 - or simply get the #1 pick.

What do we do with it knowing there are supposedly two generational type QB's available.

We have seen enough of Darnold to k ow he can play, we don't  know that a out the other 2 so we don't  trade Darnold. We hopefully  get multiple first round picks from Miami

17 hours ago, STLuLu said:

If you're under the belief that the Jets will start winning when Darnard comes back, which team(s) on the schedule do you think the Jets have a real chance to beat? Or should I say which team(s) do you think won't show up to pay?

Image result for ny jets schedule 2019 printable

Why? Miami will have the first two picks, their own and the Steelers we will win just enough to knock us down a few slots. Have  you not seen the pattern over the years? With Brady leaving the division whenever he decides to retire it will be a battle of the young QB's in the AFCE just what the NFL wants after Brady is gone. Miami will draft a QB, Darnold , Allen, and whatever the Pats do. 

17 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

What makes you think that he is our "best" player? He has shown flashes and no more. Mostly all first rounder show flashes. We have no idea who Darnold is as a player. We only know that he has potential.

We know he is mobile and has good or better than average pocket presence, we know he is accurate,  we know he has good down feild vision when he has time, we k ow he can throw on the run

We also know he needs to have better judgement when it comes to woman.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We know he is mobile and has good or better than average pocket presence, we know he is accurate,  we know he has good down feild vision when he has time, we k ow he can throw on the run

We also know he needs to have better judgement when it comes to woman.

Good point. Thankfully, it wasn't VD. 

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If they think Darnold is the real deal, keep him, trade down and get the picks.

They have so many needs it is amazing.   Look how a few extra pics helped the Colts rebuild that O Line.  Granted, their QB retired out of no where, but the Jets need that type of infusion of talent.

18 hours ago, STLuLu said:

I remember that horrible GM Ryan Grigson the Colts had that put together that bad roster that Frank Reich inherited. He coached that team into the playoffs his first year so I'm not giving Gase an excuse. 

Who was the qb of that team?  Was he 3rd or 4th string?

No chance...a few things will happen over the next few weeks that will result in a marked improvement in this team.

1) Sam comes back

2) Harrison starts at center

3) Herndon comes back 

4) Mosley comes back

Herndon coming back should really help this offense, he is the only play maker not named Bell.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

No chance...a few things will happen over the next few weeks that will result in a marked improvement in this team.

1) Sam comes back

2) Harrison starts at center

3) Herndon comes back 

4) Mosley comes back

Herndon coming back should really help this offense, he is there only play maker not named Bell.

But we still have no O-Line, there will be no O production if Darnold can't throw.. One center will not save us 

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

Who was the qb of that team?  Was he 3rd or 4th string?

And after getting blown out by a certain team in green and falling to 1-5, their schedule was a cake walk for the last 10 games of the season:

Bills 

@ Raiders 

Jags 

Titans

Dolphins

@ Jags

@ Texans

Cowboys

Giants

@Titans

• Upvote 1

Wow lots of SOJF on this thread... 

OL is lost... they are missing assignments and forgetting who to block. Yes there are times that they are getting pummeled too. But a better QB will be able to get the ball out quicker and help the OL by telling them who to block.  I am not saying that they are all of a sudden going to be good ... but they should be serviceable enough to stack wins.

No way this team loses more then 6 games... too many cupcakes on this schedule. Defense still looks better then expected without the LB core. I think the Jets will surprise a lot of teams after the bye.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

And after getting blown out by a certain team in green and falling to 1-5, their schedule was a cake walk for the last 10 games of the season:

Bills 

@ Raiders 

Jags 

Titans

Dolphins

@ Jags

@ Texans

Cowboys

Giants

@Titans

Lots of bad Defenses too... which will make the Offense look better then it is.

C'mon. We haven't had our QB on offense or defense and we played 3 very good defenses. Did you see what happened as soon as Brady went out? The entire game changed. Our D was better, the whole tone of the game changed. A QB can settle the entire team. Mosely can settle the entire D. If Darnold comes back for Philly, I see us ending anywhere between 7-9 and 10-6. The Colts were 1-5 and made the playoffs last year. Obviously the line has to be at least average, but Sam can move away from pressure. We can beat so many teams after the Cowboys game. If we are 3-5 going into the last 8 we have a shot to be above 500. We can beat Miami twice, Giants, Bengals, Steelers, Raiders, Bills, Washington and Jacksonville. None of those teams are as good as the Pats and Browns on D.

19 hours ago, STLuLu said:

If you're under the belief that the Jets will start winning when Darnard comes back, which team(s) on the schedule do you think the Jets have a real chance to beat? Or should I say which team(s) do you think won't show up to pay?

Image result for ny jets schedule 2019 printable

Miami x2, Washington, Cinci, Pitt, Buffalo, Oak, NY Giants. All teams the Jets have a legit shot to beat assuming Darnold comes back and depending on depending on health of the rest of the team. If anything, these last couple of games just go to show how important it is to have a legit QB at the helm and how good Darnold actually is despite not nec. looking like 'the savior' yet.