Jets Extend Contract of NT Steve McLendon

Jetmech

Jets App: Jets Extend Contract of NT Steve McLendon https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-extend-contract-of-nt-steve-mclendon

The Jets have extended the contract of NT Steve McLendon through the 2020 season.

In four contests this season, the 33-year-old McLendon has totaled 11 tackles and one sack. With McLendon in the middle, the Jets boast the NFL’s seventh-ranked rush defense (87.5 Yds/G).

The 6’3”, 310-pound McLendon, who originally signed with the Green & White as a free agent in 2016, has appeared in 43 games for the Jets and recorded 119 tackles and six sacks. An undrafted free agent out of Troy, McLendon started his career in Pittsburgh from 2010-15 and has collected 209 tackles and 11 sacks in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well its easy to play in the middle unblocked when leo gets tripled teamed every play.

He gets tripled, chipped and they are constantly holding him without any calls. It's a miracle he even sniffs the QB or the RB. We are damn lucky to have that Leo beast.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

The one DL they have invested the least in by an overwhelming margin, yet still the best of them all.  The extension is very well deserved, but man does it shine an even brighter light on the years of unmatched incompetence of (attempting) to address the DL.  Hopefully this is the first (of many) indicators that Douglas knows far better than to continue such a ridiculous trend.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The one DL they have invested the least in by an overwhelming margin, yet still the best of them all.  The extension is very well deserved, but man does it shine an even brighter light on the years of unmatched incompetence of (attempting) to address the DL.  Hopefully this is the first (of many) indicators that Douglas knows far better than to continue such a ridiculous trend.

We won't know that until he pass on the "Best Player in the Draft" to take a player in a position that can actually have an impact on the game.

I'll be holding my breath until then.

• Upvote 2

This totally screams see ya later Leo. Jets don't want to be scrumming around in 2020 to fill this spot when they use all their assets to build the Oline & get Sam some weapons. You know what makes a difference more than Leonard Williams? Jets offensive players spiking the ball in the endzone, not Leo playing paddy cakes down 2 touchdowns.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Am I the only one wondering why the hell this was something that needed to be done now? We talkin about a 33 year old DT on the edge of retirement. 

Personally, I'd look to lock up Robby on a 3 or 4 year deal while he's been playing with a 3rd string QB and looks like sh*t. 

Maybe it helps the cap this year in some way that allows them to make some other moves.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Am I the only one wondering why the hell this was something that needed to be done now? We talkin about a 33 year old DT on the edge of retirement. 

Personally, I'd look to lock up Robby on a 3 or 4 year deal while he's been playing with a 3rd string QB and looks like sh*t. 

Why would Robby be looking to make a deal under those same circumstances? He could likely get the same as the Jets are offering in free agency and pick his situation?

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Antonio Brown... Haha ?

Haha, I was thinking if they deal someone who has guaranteed money, they take a slight cap hit because the bonuses, etc get charged to the Jets.     Maybe this is a precursor to something while rewarding a really good player with a reasonable contract.

Wow a front office that recognizes s players value so they extend him during the season and appreciating his age they make it a 1 year deal. Huh? Based on the the jets previous GMs I thought the correct strategy was to let his contract expire and then overpay the player both in dollars and years or let him walk and sign with another team. 

What a bold new way of thinking by Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Wow a front office that recognizes s players value so they extend him during the season and appreciating his age they make it a 1 year deal. Huh? Based on the the jets previous GMs I thought the correct strategy was to let his contract expire and then overpay the player both in dollars and years or let him walk and sign with another team. 

What a bold new way of thinking by Joe Douglas.

Normally I’m against signing older players but he is the real leader of the lockeroom (take a seat Jamal). Plus I’m sure he didn’t cost much due to age and this is his last year in the league. Why would he want to move to a new city for 1 year? It benefited both parties. The added bones is that tub if sh*t Leo will be gone. 

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Why would Robby be looking to make a deal under those same circumstances? He could likely get the same as the Jets are offering in free agency and pick his situation?

Because fans don't understand that most players don't like leaving and starting over somewhere else under most situations.  Picking a different situation doesn't always work out. 

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

And maybe Joe is talking to Robby's agent, this shows he is paying attention and other reasons to do this now;

One less thing to consider when the FA frenzy starts

Keep retirement out of the thought process,

Maybe even an example for QW, Leo had Mo as his example...