Officiating

PS17

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Six consecutive plays with flags on that last drive. Many on phantom/ticky tack pass interferences. 

Does the NFL know the current product is unwatchable? 

The NFL has a real problem. Unfortunately the officials love to have a say in the outcome of a game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Does anyone know how many real yards were actually gained by Dallas on their last drive? It felt like maybe 5 yards total. So disgusting.

From the drive chart on PFR, 44 yards of offense, 50 yards of defensive peantlies and 20 yards of offensive penatlies on a 75 yard drive. 

• Upvote 1

It’s been horrific.  It’s like they are calling everything and saying to the coaches challenge it if you want to.  It should be the opposite, only call the obvious and “real” PI and let the coaches challenge the rest.  It’s totally taken over the game.  Allowing a review of PI was a stupid, reactionary move by the NFL.  

• Upvote 1

It has nothing to do with replay or anything technical with the process. It's jets vs. COWBOYS and they are always going to do that when jets are 0-4 and COWBOYS are America's Team. The Jets overcame it and until they start having success, they will continue to have to overcome it until Sam Darnold is going down the field with his division-leading JETS against some 0-4 team.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The way they were calling that last drive, I was shocked that nothing was called on Maye v Witten on the 2 point conversion.  Happy they didn't.  But these ticky tack PI calls are awful.  Throw PI when the defender impedes the receivers attempt to catch a pass, not because there is incidental contact when a defender is playing the ball.  

They’re penalizing defenders for making a play on the ball.  There can be contact as long as both players are making a play on the ball and no one is gaining an advantage by doing so.  It’s now turned into ANY contact by the defender and it’s PI.  That’s not how the rule is written.   

• Upvote 4

It’s really tough to watch on multiple levels. I refuse to watch any non jets nfl game anymore, I just won’t do it. Not only does it make the game hard to watch, I really question the impact on the game. Some of these calls are just so ambiguous, or the lack of calls in other times. I get the nfl game is extremely hard to officiate because of the speed, but they need to figure this out.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I just don’t understand the disconnect between the league office and fans. No one wants to see record numbers of flags every Sunday. The ratings will surely start to suffer.

I used to watch every game possible. Now I only am interested in the Jets and even that is a struggle.

Totally agree.

1:00pm games yesterday meant nothing to me. I should have been dialed in the Houston vs KC but the games this year have been a joke with all the flags.

But hey as long as the NFL brings in another Billion dollars why should they care

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

Six consecutive plays with flags on that last drive. Many on phantom/ticky tack pass interferences. 

The NFL is pure trash. 

I noticed they had another thrilling prime time game last night too, eh?

I found what the announcer was talking about regarding the contact on the TPC.  This explains why the contact was legal and not called.  I think he said it was put in last season and it actually allows them to 'play football' a bit more.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2019-nfl-rulebook/#section-5-pass-interference

SECTION 7 - CLOSE-LINE PLAY

Close-Line Play is contact that occurs in an area extending between the outside edges of the normal tackle positions and three yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.

ARTICLE 7. ILLEGAL USE OF HANDS BY DEFENSE

It is a foul if a defensive player thrusts his hands or arms forward above the frame of an opponent to forcibly contact him on the neck, face, or head.

Note: Contact in close-line play is not a foul, unless it is direct and forcible, or prolonged.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The way they were calling that last drive, I was shocked that nothing was called on Maye v Witten on the 2 point conversion.  Happy they didn't.  But these ticky tack PI calls are awful.  Throw PI when the defender impedes the receivers attempt to catch a pass, not because there is incidental contact when a defender is playing the ball.  

Agree whatever happened to the defender having as much of a right to the ball as the offensive player?

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree whatever happened to the defender having as much of a right to the ball as the offensive player?

"...except when said offensive player is a member of the New England Patriots or Dallas Cowboys."

It's written in 6-point white font on the page but it's there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

The league needs to find a happy medium between the almost-anything-goes wild wild west days of old and the current sneeze on an offensive player and call a penalty mindset. Unless an infraction of any kind is egregious, let them play.  Ticky tack penalties should not impact the outcome of a game EVER. I understand the hypersensitivity regarding player safety, but the league has to take a hard look at the way refs manage the game.  

• Upvote 1

It was clear as day that the refs were trying their best to assist Dallas on that last series.  5 penalties on the defense with a couple on the offense just to make it appear they weren't trying to hand Dallas the game.

Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots have it rigged.  No idea why, but never was it so abundantly clear as yesterday in the Cowboys last chance drive.  It's even worse for the league when they are playing NE.  Refs constantly favor NE.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Was it bad?  Yes, was it awful?  Yes.

Get ready to up the frustration level by another 50% next week when we play the Pats.

I see us having zero chance to win that game, zero.  Is it because I don't think we could come up big and pull an upset off?  No.

It's because recent game history suggest the refs never make those calls against the pats defense and still make them when going against the pats.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Pretty hilarious that Dungy had the f*cking gall to bring up the 1 call that aided the Jets on the Witten TD. Obviously the idiot didn't watch the whole game. I just rewatched the condensed version & holy crap, the Jets had 3 first downs negated by holding penalties called, 1 Darnold running for a big gain & 2 passes brought back. 

Then they had 3 PIs called on them in 6 plays. The refs gave the Cowboys two holding calls & then negated both with the 4th PI on the BS call on Adams. This game was heavily slanted stopping big plays by the Jets & keeping the Cowboys in it. Not shocked, National game, NFL didn't want a blowout, but Jets played too well & the refs tried to step in & set things straight. Unfortunately they used up all of their flags & had they thrown a 7th in a row on the 2 point conversion all hell would have broke loose in the media. Refs were crossing their fingers Cowboys would convert but GW & Adams said NOT TODAY! 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Pretty hilarious that Dungy had the f*cking gall to bring up the 1 call that aided the Jets on the Witten TD. Obviously the idiot didn't watch the whole game. I just rewatched the condensed version & holy crap, the Jets had 3 first downs negated by holding penalties called, 1 Darnold running for a big gain & 2 passes brought back. 

Then they had 3 PIs called on them in 6 plays. The refs gave the Cowboys two holding calls & then negated both with the 4th PI on the BS call on Adams. This game was heavily slanted stopping big plays by the Jets & keeping the Cowboys in it. Not shocked, National game, NFL didn't want a blowout, but Jets played too well & the refs tried to step in & set things straight. Unfortunately they used up all of their flags & had they thrown a 7th in a row on the 2 point conversion all hell would have broke loose in the media. Refs were crossing their fingers Cowboys would convert but GW & Adams said NOT TODAY! 

Yeah, Dungy was a special level of awful last night.  It was definitely obnoxious to see him bring that up and yet have absolutely no thoughts on an endless stream of phantom calls that made up an entire Cowboys drive.  It was also comical that his justification for disagreeing with the call was that it's not a penalty when the defender "initiates contact" which simply did not happen at all.

Then again, it became pretty clear that he was commenting on a bunch of crap he didn't even bother to watch, because he tried to do the same exact whining about the flag that was picked up in the Chiefs/Texans game, and literally proceeded to make a series of outright false statements as the basis for his argument.

In the end, as homerific as Romo was in most of his commentary yesterday, even he (begrudgingly) disagreed with pretty much every call on that final drive, which tells everyone all you really need to know.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, PS17 said:

it sure looked like the refs were throwing the cowgirls a lifeline.  the last drive should've been stopped somewhere around the 50.  roberts didn't pass interfere and neither did adams.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1