Simple Question: In your opinion will Sam become a FQB

JohnnyLV

Will be Sam Darnold be a franchise QB?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. YES or NO..take a stand

I think it depends on what you define as a "franchise" QB. I think he will develop into an above average starter who will be our quarterback for a long time. So, if that's a "franchise" guy, the yes. If we're talking "will he be an elite QB who is a perennial pro-bowler/MVP candidate" then then that's a much taller ask and while I think he has that potential I'm way less confident he gets there. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I love it, ask this question after his worst game ever knowing that 90% of fans live for the moment.

For me, has more to do w/ 16 games started....     body of work....

Aint our fault Sammy shat hisself on MNF....      i mean, those were 4 absolutely horrible passes

i am not sure i have seen 4 passes of such low quality in one game before...  not one had even 1% chance that 

our team would even TOUCH the ball, much less catch it..

• Upvote 1

Yes, he’s already there, IMO. The level that he showed since the Bills game last year, offseason, and through the Dallas game is all I need to see (not to mention the Lions, Colts, and Broncos games last year)That’s a pretty large sample size. 

He’s allowed to have bad games once in a while- every QB in NFL history has had putrid outings.

Since the Bills game last year he’s been a top 10 QB- until the Pats game. 

People forget that that this kid is the second youngest QB in the league/ just days older than Murray. Younger than Jones, Haskins, etc.

If you let one game change your mind... I don’t know what to tell you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

It is most certainly not a simple question.

The premise of this poll is silly, and ignores the natural ups and downs with a young developing QB. If this poll was created on a Rams fan site a year ago about Goff, the overwhelming majority would vote yes, but if it were posed to people who had only seen him play this year, than the opinion would be split more down the middle. And this is Goff's third full year as a starter.

For Darnold, I really don't think there's enough body of evidence to make a definite determination one way or the other. There's time he's looked really, really good, and times he's looked like utter sh*t. There are things that give real hope about his future, and then there are legitimate concerns about his game. Anyone who claims they know the answer, at this point, is foolish, imo.

Just let the kid play before you either put him on a pedestal or bury him in the ever-mounting "NYJ former QB bust" mass grave.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

For me, has more to do w/ 16 games started....     body of work....

Aint our fault Sammy shat hisself on MNF....      i mean, those were 4 absolutely horrible passes

i am not sure i have seen 4 passes of such low quality in one game before...  not one had even 1% chance that 

our team would even TOUCH the ball, much less catch it..

I disagree. Those passes were made against zero blitz, against the best defense in a decade, against the best coach of all time, with OL missing assignments and receivers running wrong routs. On third and long down 24 points. Any normal interception is a worse pass than those picks IMO.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wow.

When Darnold is on the field I believe we have an advantage at the position against about 20/32 teams. Dak Prescott is A franchise QB, about to be Paid 30 mil per year, Darnold outplayed him.

He also outplayed Watson, Stafford, and Luck last year, and went toe to toe with Rodgers. At 21 years old.

what more do you want from a 22 year old?

Is he a finished product? Hell no... has he shown enough to prove that he should be the focal point of this franchise for the next 5 years at least? HELL YES. That is the definition of a franchise QB. 

• Upvote 4

Yes.

I still believe in Sam.  He is very young, and he has flashed enough to demonstrate he can become a special player.  He's a gun slinger with great pocket awareness and mobility.  I believe Douglas is going to prioritize building a strong offensive line in front of him and bring in a legitimate #1 wide receiver he can develop with and lean on.

My biggest concerns are the injuries and illnesses.  Can he prove to be durable for the long term?  Another concern is "Jets."  No explanation needed.

Yes.  To me, that means he will be our starter for 10+ years.  The team's level of actual success over that time will be tied to the players in place around him and the coaching.  I think he'll be good enough to elevate the players around him on a consistent basis, but to be a perennial playoff contender, you need to have a solid foundation to start with, most importantly, a competent OL. 

Yes, you can see it on certain days that he has everything you want a franchise QB to posses. Great pocket presence, ability to elude the rush, read the field quick, a good accurate arm. Days like Monday and last year with the Dolphins are concerning, never like to see the 4 INT meltdown games where the QB starts to YOLO air it out hoping for a miracle but I will attribute that to him being 22 years old, younger than some of the rookies drafted this year even.

When Aaron Rogers Packers experienced injuries on their offensive line Rogers GOT HURT! 

Thats what happens to QBs when you don't protect them. Mono was a fluke, his ankle last year, his Toenail getting ripped off happened because the guys paid handsomely to protect him SUCK AZZ and are not allowing him the time nor the running game to let him develop, do play action, or get through to his 2nd progression. 

In practice he's a stud, or as John Jefferson called him "The F*cking Dude!". You guys see Brady eating a ham sandwich back there playing with guys that are always where they are supposed to be. Hell, I don't think I've ever seen so many free rushers in my life as a Jet fan chasing my QB. This Oline is BRUTAL. One of the best RBs in football is fighting for INCHES of daylight. 

Sams in a bad place, with a bad team, with very few weapons. If he has thick skin he'll survive JDs rebuild. I believe Sam has the fortitude & attitude to push on and not give up. He'll look back & say patience and hard work do payoff. 

• Upvote 1

I voted yes because I love his combination of talent and demeanor (particularly as it relates to his ability to handle the media and high expectations).

He also has the ability to move around in the pocket, avoid rushers, and make plays down the field. That is an elite trait that very few bad NFL QBs have. 

Now, If there is an organization that could screw this guy up - It’s this one 

• Upvote 2