CBS mock draft have the Jets taking a DE in the first LET THE JETS DRAFT CIRCUS BEGIN

DRJETS

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Young is arguably the best player in the draft

Would you have been upset if we had drafted Nick Bosa over Jonah “Mr IR” Williams?

You  would have been ecstatic over Taco Charlton and Tim Williams. Just Sayin.

We absolutely need to load up on OL in this draft, but Chase Young is the best player in this draft and happens to play a position that we haven't adequately addressed since John Abraham. If he is on the board when we pick, I will ecstatic. With that said, the remainder of the draft becomes vital to rebuilding the OL talent and depth on this team. We need 5 new starting OL from somewhere, hard to imagine how we do that without leaving this draft with two of them...

Chase Young is a pass rusher who comes off the edge. He's something this team hasn't had since John Abraham. He's not an interior lineman like Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson, and Muhammed Wilkerson. He's an edge player.

If the Jets have an opportunity to draft him they should. He's got a great chance of being the pass rusher this team has lacked sine Abraham was traded.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Chase Young is a pass rusher who comes off the edge. He's something this team hasn't had since John Abraham. He's not an interior lineman like Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson, and Muhammed Wilkerson. He's an edge player.

If the Jets have an opportunity to draft him they should. He's got a great chance of being the pass rusher this team has lacked sine Abraham was traded.

If he's that good then he carries a lot of value and we should trade down - I'm sure they'll be multiple bidders for such an impact player at such an important position. 

Trade out - take OL with all the picks we recoup.  Fix the OL in one off-season and watch how different this team and Sam Darnold look.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

If he's that good then he carries a lot of value and we should trade down - I'm sure they'll be multiple bidders for such an impact player at such an important position. 

Trade out - take OL with all the picks we recoup.  Fix the OL in one off-season and watch how different this team and Sam Darnold look.

Agreed.  Especially if they don’t move Adams before the draft.  Even if they move Adams, I’d still trade out and take the picks.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Especially if they don’t move Adams before the draft.  Even if they move Adams, I’d still trade out and take the picks.  

Off topic here but.......neutral field, Clemson vs Penn State, what's the line? My guess, Clemson-10. You know where I'm going with this.?

20 hours ago, DRJETS said:

If we take another DL in the first round again, we are definitely cursed forever.  How stupid this franchise, I really dont think they are capable of taking an offensive player in the first round.  I dont freaking care if the guy is projected a late first round just take one.  Maybe just maybe since everyone is expecting this circus of a franchise to take another defensive player, they will go offense to fkkk with our mind. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-jets-pick-chase-young-raiders-stop-jerry-jeudys-slide/

..Trade down ! ! !

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He might be a great player...

but due to awfulness of this team they've lost the right/flexibility to take any defensive linemen.

They have no choice but to draft OL.

This is really a silly way to look at the draft. I completely understand that the Jets desperately need O-line help. But they also need an elite pass Rusher and Chase Young is just that. If they don't get a massive offer to move down or an extra draft pick from a QB needy team to move down one spot where they can still get Chase Young, you take him and you go O-line in Rd. 2.

There's also the prospect of trading Jamal Adams for a first Round pick. In which case you can get Chase Young and a great OT prospect later on in Rd. 1.  

IMO the best case scenario is the Jets get the #1 draft pick, the Dolphins pick #2, we put the pick up for auction forcing the Dolphins to give us one of their draft picks (2nd round) in a trade up scenario, they do because they are stocked with draft capital, they take Tua, we take Chase Young #2, then we take Trey Adams- OT with the Jamal Adams draft pick and Tyler Bladasz-C fall to Rd. 2 and we take him with our first pick in Rd. 2, and with the second pick we got from the Dolphins we get a CB with #1 upside like CJ Henderson or someone like that- not sure who will be available at that point but there should be a number of options and it's imperative that the Jets select a CB EARLY in the upcoming draft.    

This will leave the Jets with plenty of draft capital for a WR or WRs for Sam and a G if they choose to go that route.    

hughes @ athletic

How the Jets could be primed for a historic 2020 draft

GettyImages-1169219642-e1573129883103-1024x684.jpg
By Connor Hughes 4h agocomment-icon@2x.png 34 save-icon@2x.png

Before Sam Darnold came down with mono, before the swarm of injuries, and before everything else that’s gone wrong during this godforsaken Jets season, there really was hope.

Standing behind a podium as his team opened training camp, Adam Gase fed the team’s success-starved fan base a heaping helping of positivity. Playoffs? No. Super Bowl? Don’t push it. But the coach instead promised New York would play “meaningful games” in November and December.

That sure sounded good at the time.

It’s technically still true.

According to Football Outsiders, the 1-7 Jets currently have a 0.2 percent chance at making the playoffs. But these games have a ton of meaning for draft positioning. And if things go New York’s way, the 2020 class might be among the most historic in team history.

At the moment, the Jets hold seven picks in the upcoming draft: Their own first, second, third, fourth and fifth, a conditional sixth (either theirs or the Chiefs, the better of which goes to the Colts), then the Giants’ third rounder. The positioning of those selections is of even greater value.

The NFL calculates its draft order first by overall record, then strength of schedule. The goal is to give the worst teams the higher pick. So teams with an equal record against inferior opponents receive the selection priority. If the season ended today, New York (1-7) would pick third behind the Bengals (0-8) and Redskins (1-8). The Jets still have games against both teams this year and currently have a weaker strength of schedule (.470, compared to .542 and .537, respectively). There’s a realistic path for the Jets to the top selection.

Aiding in the Jets’ current draft haul is that Giants’ third rounder. Gang Green’s crosstown rival sits 2-7 and is slated to pick sixth in the if-the-season-ended-today scenario. The Giants still play playoff hopeful teams in the Bears, Packers and Eagles (twice) this year. While they’ll likely steal a game or two from a group of inferior opponents (Jets on Sunday, then Redskins and Dolphins later), that pick should still be somewhere between 70th to 75th overall.

That’s a decent haul.

There’s a chance for it to be among the most significant in team history.

The leaguewide rumor during the NFL’s trade deadline was that Douglas had opened a fire sale on his roster. This, sources told The Athletic during the day, wasn’t exactly true. Teams were calling the Jets on their players — not the other way around. Douglas — practicing a teaching from the Book of Ozzie Newsome — took every call. For the right price, anyone could be had.

An abundance of teams reached out to inquire about safety Jamal Adams, with the Ravens and Cowboys among the more seriously interested. Douglas asked for a first-round pick and two second-rounders — a price far too steep. The Texans and Chiefs called about running back Le’Veon Bell. The return compensation wasn’t the issue there. Instead, neither could work Bell’s contract into their current cap situation.

So defensive end Leonard Williams (sent to the Giants) became the only player Douglas dealt.

For now.

The belief around the league is that teams will again try to pry Bell and Adams from the Jets in the offseason, shortly before the NFL Draft — efforts that might prove a bit more successful. The Jets would free $9.5 million trading Bell after the year, with the lone cap penalty being his $6 million remaining in signing bonus. His new team would pick up the three remaining years of base salary ($8.5 million, $8 million, $9.5 million), roster bonuses ($4.5 million, $3 million, $3 million), and per-game bonuses ($500,000 each year).

Adams’ surly reaction to a potential trade will make it extremely difficult to repair his fractured relationship with the team. The Jets’ asking price will undoubtedly drop in the offseason if they intend to move him. Adams will fetch a first-round pick — the offer already on the table from both Dallas and Baltimore. With multiple teams interested, the Jets can bid them against each other. A first and third in 2020, along with a later-round selection in 2021, is likely.

The draft hasn’t been kind to the Jets throughout their history, but among the few times it worked came in 2000. The Jets held an NFL-record four first-round picks and turned those selections into defensive linemen Shaun Ellis and John Abraham, quarterback Chad Pennington, and tight end Anthony Becht. They selected Laveranues Coles in the third round, then concluded things by taking receiver Windrell Hayes, defensive back Tony Scott, and defensive tackle Richard Seals. Ellis, Abraham, Pennington, Becht and Coles all developed into quality NFL players. Ellis, Abraham and Coles combined for eight Pro Bowls.

It’s hard to imagine the Jets equaling that four first-round pick total, but dealing Adams and Bell for the above compensation would give Douglas eight picks (two ones, two twos, three threes, one four) within the first four rounds. At no point have the Jets had more than seven selections in the first four rounds since the AFL-NFL merger.

That’s more than enough to start sculpting this team.

And the Jets will need every one of them.

Injuries have decimated New York’s roster, but this team had its flaws before. The offensive line needs a complete overhaul with a minimum of three-to-four new starters, depending on if the team re-signs guard Alex Lewis. The Jets aren’t expected to re-sign Robby Anderson, so they need a No.1  receiver, too. They need two new cornerbacks. A safety if they trade Adams. A running back. And — a hole ever since they traded John Abraham to the Falcons in 2006 — an edge-rusher.

A quick glance at Dane Brugler’s updated big board illustrates this is the year to fortify the offensive line. Headlined by Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs (No. 3) and Georgia’s Andrew Thomas (No. 4), seven offensive linemen are in the top 50 prospects, including five in the top 25.  Douglas will certainly do his homework on the group, but depending on where that first-round pick falls, the selection decision might not be so easy.

The near-consensus top player in this year’s draft is Ohio State defensive end Chase Young. A ferocious pass rusher, he burst onto the scene last year in Nick Bosa’s absence, recording 14.6 tackles for a loss and 10.5 sacks. In eight games this year, he already has 15.5 tackles for a loss and 13.5 sacks. Some believe he’s even better than Nick and his brother Joey, another Ohio State edge-rushing star whom the Chargers selected third overall in 2015. If the Jets finish with the No. 2 selection in the draft, it might make more sense to use that pick on Young instead of Wirfs or Thomas. They could then grab USC tackle Austin Jackson later in the first, followed by Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey in the second.

There’s also the possibility of trading any selection within the top three. The Jets might receive massive return compensation for the top pick from a team looking to move up for Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. But there will be buyers for No. 2 or No. 3, as well. Unlike last year, this draft is rich in quarterback talent. LSU’s Joe Burrow, Utah State’s Jordan Love and Oregon’s Justin Herbert are all close in discussion for the next-best passer behind Tagovailoa. One will certainly elevate his play the remainder of the college season, combine and pro day. Whatever team misses out on Tagovailoa might be inclined to trade up to ensure they get their next guy. The Bengals (currently picking first), Dolphins (fourth), Bucs (eighth) and Broncos (ninth) could all look to move up.

The Jets traded up with the Colts from No. 6 to No. 3 in 2018, where they eventually selected Sam Darnold. Then-GM Mike Maccagnan gave Indianapolis two second-round picks that year, and a second rounder in 2019. That is the minimum asking price.

This season began with reasonably high expectations. It was owner Christopher Johnson who proudly boasted during the owners meeting he knew his team was better, going as far as to say he “sure as hell” hoped they’d make the playoffs. That, obviously, isn’t going to happen. But at least there’s something for fans to look forward to in a lost year.

(Top photo: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

ab

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Off topic here but.......neutral field, Clemson vs Penn State, what's the line? My guess, Clemson-10. You know where I'm going with this.?

I’m not worried about the ranking now.  They’re essentially meaningless.  They set it up so that Bama/LSU and OSU/ PSU are play in games.  Two of the top 4 teams right now will have at least 1 loss.  

This is the best thing that could have happened to Clemson. Dabo can play the no respect card some more.  

• Upvote 2

Don’t know if you guys listen to Stick to Football but Matt Miller has said chase young is the best defensive prospect he’s scouted.  Also said the OL class doesn’t have much value, especially not top 3.  Do I want another defensive lineman? No.  I’d rather go nuts and draft Jeudy or trade back a couple slots and grab Thomas from UGa.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m not worried about the ranking now.  They’re essentially meaningless.  They set it up so that Bama/LSU and OSU/ PSU are play in games.  Two of the top 4 teams right now will have at least 1 loss.  

This is the best thing that could have happened to Clemson. Dabo can play the no respect card some more.  

Exactly what I said.  The starting ranks don;t mean much and it is great for Clemson and even Bama great motivational material.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:59 PM, TeddEY said:

Based on the little reading I’ve done thus far, Chase Young is the only defensive player I’d be okay with us taking.  You can build an offensive line without top 5 picks.

right.  this guy is being projected as an edge wrecking machine.  maybe he's the second coming of lawrence taylor.  if so the jets should grab him and the beef up the oline in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  and if they do trade adams and get a good return then that's even more of a reason to grab young.  of course another cbs draft had them taking oline for georgia.

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

right.  this guy is being projected as an edge wrecking machine.  maybe he's the second coming of lawrence taylor.  if so the jets should grab him and the beef up the oline in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  and if they do trade adams and get a good return then that's even more of a reason to grab young.  of course another cbs draft had them taking oline for georgia.

I firmly believe the Jets will draft in the top 3 so most likely Adams will be there if the Jets want him, but man it'll be awfully tempting to take Andrew Thomas instead. Taking him would go a long way in fixing the o-line.

12 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I firmly believe the Jets will draft in the top 3 so most likely Adams will be there if the Jets want him, but man it'll be awfully tempting to take Andrew Thomas instead. Taking him would go a long way in fixing the o-line.

i don't disagree.  i just see them getting edge when they can get the edge.  not that they don't need one or more top flight oline men but those can be had in the late first or early 2nd rounds.  if they do trade adams they will most likely get another 1st round and that would make it that much harder to pass up a superior edge player.

3 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Look it’s pretty simple:

Draft young, trade Adams for a first and use that pick to draft Thomas

On 11/7/2019 at 4:35 PM, heymangold said:

Don’t know if you guys listen to Stick to Football but Matt Miller has said chase young is the best defensive prospect he’s scouted.  Also said the OL class doesn’t have much value, especially not top 3.  Do I want another defensive lineman? No.  I’d rather go nuts and draft Jeudy or trade back a couple slots and grab Thomas from UGa.

Or if we have the #1 pick trade Tua to the dolphins for two firsts, then trade Adams for a mid first 

Draft Young, Jeudy and Thomas

0D570A9A-E64A-4B7F-A4A8-84D5AA01B3C8.jpeg.f0877d35629da951aad27330bb07ebbf.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

Show me one GM that is currently employed in the NFL that would take the busts you were talking up in Tim Williams and Taco Charlton over Jonah. 

Over a bum with a bum shoulder like Jonah

How is that Baker Gayfield guy doing by the way?

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Over a bum with a bum shoulder like Jonah

How is that Baker Gayfield guy doing by the way?

I see you're on your one hour of computer time from the asylum. You need to make those posts count. 

Also not sure why you're bringing up Baker but if the docs feels that it helps go right ahead.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, FidelioJet said:

I'd be fine with trading down but only if there is a top O-Lineman we could target. Otherwise we can try and sign some lineman in free agency as well as drafting them in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

If we have a chance to take Chase Young, it would be very hard to pass on him. 

Ideally we're sitting on one of the two top QBs and get a kings a ransom for them. How highly are they rated relative to other years? Goff/Wentz levels?

If we do take Chase Young he better be the elite of the f*cking elite pass rusher. I would have us reaching for offensive linemen all over before investing any more of the defensive unit. We need 5 new starters.