Rumor: Rhule to Giants

According to #sources, #Giants brass is currently en route to New Orleans to meet with Baylor Coach Matt Rhule ahead of Wednesday's Sugar Bowl appearance. A deal is likely to get done and Rhule will be the next coach of the New York Football Giants wooof wooof woof please credit

https://twitter.com/leroyinsider/status/1211751844013387778?s=21

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SummerofSam14 said:

According to #sources, #Giants brass is currently en route to New Orleans to meet with Baylor Coach Matt Rhule ahead of Wednesday's Sugar Bowl appearance. A deal is likely to get done and Rhule will be the next coach of the New York Football Giants wooof wooof woof please credit

https://twitter.com/leroyinsider/status/1211751844013387778?s=21

For what it’s worth, Rhule was on a Waco radio station being interviewed today after Shurmur was fired.

His quote was “Don’t believe the hype”. He also said right after the Sugar Bowl he’s “going to Cabo with his family, and hasn’t talked to anyone about a NFL job.”

Chris Johnson settles for Gase, not Rhule, because he and Mac wanted to force Greg Williams on whomever they hired as HC.

Chris Johnson fires Mac.

Chris Johnson lets Gase pick his own GM.

Chris Johnson likely to watch Greg Williams go become a HC elsewhere after 1 season. Basically leaving the Jets with the ripple effect of wanting Greg Williams, but no Greg Williams.

Wonderful.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Why does everyone what Rhule so badly? He’s never coached in the NFL and has had a couple years of success in college - not big time programs either.  I get it, the whole Baylor thing.  Not like they beat Oklahoma though!

I think people are in love with the idea of Rhule. 

They like the concept of uncovering the next great program builder/Belichick type.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Chris Johnson settles for Gase, not Rhule, because he and Mac wanted to force Greg Williams on whomever they hired as HC.

Chris Johnson fires Mac.

Chris Johnson likely to watch Greg Williams go become a HC elsewhere after 1 season. Basically leaving the Jets with the ripple effect of wanting Greg Williams, but no Greg Williams.

Wonderful.

Jeeeeesh. When you lay it out like that... 

37 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Why does everyone what Rhule so badly? He’s never coached in the NFL and has had a couple years of success in college - not big time programs either.  I get it, the whole Baylor thing.  Not like they beat Oklahoma though!

Temple and Baylor were complete disasters and he rebuilt both, fairly quickly. I mean, who the **** wins at Temple?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Definitely just wild rumors at this point, but if this were to happen, I'd be seriously pissed.

There are always questions about any head coach hire, and of course more when it comes to moving from college to pros, but even then, the odds are infinitely higher for someone like Rhule to work out than an already proven failure at the job who has learned absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Chris Johnson fires Mac.

Wonderful.

Greg Williams should have been and still should be the HC of the Jets.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Greg Williams should have been and still should be the HC of the Jets.

If I'm Haslam, I just admit I made a mistake and beg Williams to take the Browns job. He won more games in his interim stint than Hue Jackson won in 3 years.

I guess it's the Bountygate deal, he's a bit radioactive as a HC

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

If I'm Haslam, I just admit I made a mistake and beg Williams to take the Browns job. He won more games in his interim stint than Hue Jackson won in 3 years.

I guess it's the Bountygate deal, he's a bit radioactive as a HC

I hated Williams for bountygate but Watching him do his job every Sunday on the Jets sideline it seems like that is not the same person who was involved with it. He seems like a steady consummate professional just doing his job as best as possible and not let anything get in his way. 

He looks several steps professionally above anything else the jets have had for years, like a real coach from the real nfl stepped into the team for a while. 

I would think bounty gate is long forgotten history at this point. Sean Payton certainly isn’t carrying the stink of it 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think people are in love with the idea of Rhule. 

They like the concept of uncovering the next great program builder/Belichick type.

Bellichick was the sharpest XOs NFL coordinator for over a decade before he sniffed a head coaching job...  no comparison

I really wanted Rhule last year. I think he's a really good college head coach, and he has a decent chance to be a success at the pro level.

Any appointment from college to pros is a risk, of course, but a lot of NFL observers (and NFL franchises) seem to be intrigued by Rhule.

It would be so Jets to miss out on the guy one year, when he was the frontrunner for the job, then have him sign for another team playing in your own stadium the following year. If it happens, and if he is a success, we will never hear the end of it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I really wanted Rhule last year. I think he's a really good college head coach, and he has a decent chance to be a success at the pro level.

Any appointment from college to pros is a risk, of course, but a lot of NFL observers (and NFL franchises) seem to be intrigued by Rhule.

It would be so Jets to miss out on the guy one year, when he was the frontrunner for the job, then have him sign for another team playing in your own stadium the following year. If it happens, and if he is a success, we will never hear the end of it.

Get ready for the Giants to turn it around quickly. 

3 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

So we had the pick of McCarthy or Rhule...

And we pick the coach with a lifetime losing record...

I hate this friggin' team...

Know what will be worse if these 2 produce a superbowl appearence while the Jets are hiring their next coach to replace Gase. We all know this will happen.

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

I think that's a very narrow way of looking at this situation...

first of all, successful NFL coaches come from everywhere. You have hyped Coordinators with gaudy stats who totally face plant (like Todd Haley) while others with no resume (Matt LaFeur) run the tables year 1... Ex-HCs?... I don't even half to answer that.

Here you have Rhule, who's pulled 2 programs back like in what, 5 years? He has NFL experience/exposure, appears to be a born leader; someone people listen to -- AND has mad street cred with all the NFL personalities who rave about his fit as a HEAD coach... not some super coordinator, qb whisperer, defensive mastermind etc - just a true coach.

If that doesn't make sense to you, then i'm sorry I can't help

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Chris Johnson fires Mac.

Wonderful.

GW was Gase's choice for DC. CJ did want to choose the OC & DC for Rhule and that's why he decided to pass on the Jets job. BUT - do you think Gettleman is going to give Rhule a free hand to construct his assistant coaches? I don't see the Giants attracting any good HC candidates with Gettleman running the show.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think that's a very narrow way of looking at this situation...

first of all, successful NFL coaches come from everywhere. You have hyped Coordinators with gaudy stats who totally face plant (like Todd Haley) while others with no resume (Matt LaFeur) run the tables year 1... Ex-HCs?... I don't even half to answer that.

Here you have Rhule, who's pulled 2 programs back like in what, 5 years? He has NFL experience/exposure, appears to be a born leader; someone people listen to -- AND has mad street cred with all the NFL personalities who rave about his fit as a HEAD coach... not some super coordinator, qb whisperer, defensive mastermind etc - just a true coach.

If that doesn't make sense to you, then i'm sorry I can't help

Obviously, every trait the Johnson's find totally useless in a head coach.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

So we had the pick of McCarthy or Rhule...

And we pick the coach with a lifetime losing record...

I hate this friggin' team...

yeah because wins at baylor and temple translate directly to the NFL...but hey Matt Rhule worked closely with all those great Temple QB's he must be good.

• Upvote 2