Ground and Pound ended New England's dynasty last night

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Mark Ryan Sanchez-Tannehill managed the game to a Wild Card win as a good D and running offense won that road game.

Change my mind.

Sorry, I meant to say....

Discuss.

14 pts doesnt win you many games and isnt a sound long term strategy. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Absolutely not. I do like the fact they ran the ball down the Patriots throat considering how stout the NE secondary is though. They played a strength against a weakness and came out on top because of it. Tannehill was below average aside from a few throws and they almost lost because of that too. Can’t expect 157 yard nights from Henry for 3 weeks straight.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

Actually Belichick got out coached by Vrabel. And the Titans ran that horse to victory.

I just don’t think scoring 14 points in a game says the offense won anything - no matter how you got the yards and points.

The Pats weren’t beaten by the Ground and Pound - they lost because they couldn't score more than 13 points.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just don’t think scoring 14 points in a game says the offense won anything - no matter how you got the yards and points.

The Pats weren’t beaten by the Ground and Pound - they lost because they couldn't score more than 13 points.

On the Titans last drive Henry got 2 first downs on long distance runs when NE knew what was coming. Thats getting beaten by ground and pound, cuttingntheir throats with the time clock.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The game was to me a sort of a master class in how you can still win by effectively just constantly running the ball. While we need to fix the OL I hope Gase learns something from this game where Darnold doesn’t need to throw it an unreasonable amount of times every game and putting him in situations that might possibly ruin a young QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Mark Ryan Sanchez-Tannehill managed the game to a Wild Card win as a good D and running offense won that road game.

Change my mind.

Discuss.

right.  and i would hazard the ravens are more ground and pound than people like to think.  jackson can pass but it's his running ability that makes that offense go.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Change my mind.

Discuss.

100% correct. No disagreement here. That was always a viable strategy and I think Mike Vrabel stole a page straight out of Rex's guide to defeating the patsies. On both offense and defense. It works as evidenced in 2011 and last night.

The problem with the Jets is that they didn't know how to maintain such a philosophy. Our dingbat GM's from Tanny to Idzik to Mac had no idea how to draft talented OL or simply didn't care. Joe Douglas apparently cares? So it'll be interesting to see how this team drafts going forward.

• Upvote 1

The Patriots way is cutting players before they can get a big contract esp skill position players. And it’s worked. They find replacements at RB and receiver positions who are effective and can fill a role. Gronk retired in 2019 and their attempt to acquire two elite receivers worked on the field but not off the field. They did acquire a good player in Sanu but they were overall pretty thin. It could be a factor if Brady leaves there were rumors he was mad when they cut Brown. Plus maybe tensions between him and Belichick and a schism. I mean 20 years is plenty of time to finally end up disliking someone. 

• Upvote 1

They won that game last because the Titans KNEW the patsies couldn't stop their running game and the patsies knew they knew. Mike Vrabel seeked out and found their weakness and he exploited it. It's a virtual carbon copy of what Rex did to the patsies in 2011.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CTM said:

You're probably right about that, but it really depends on just how strong your OL and defense is? It also no longer applies to the Jets. If the Jets ever had a ground and pound offense, they could just as easily utilize ground and pound or utilize that strong OL to pass the ball effectively. The Jets old ground and pound couldn't utilize a passing game plan because Sanchez was garbage. With Darnold, NOW, it would be very different.

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

You do realize that the Pats keyed in on stopping the Titans explosive passing offense(30 PPG since Tannehill took over as QB) and allowed Henry to do what he wanted?

Disagree. They stuffed the box from the second half on. Even bellicheck said stopping Henry was their priority at halftime. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

As long as football continues to be full contact, the strong defense/running game combo will always be effective.

Running is important . But the feature back had 167 yards, and was cooked when one more 1st down salts it away. It was still a game late. Week in week out passing is critical. 

If Brady doesn’t retire and yesterday he basically said he wasn’t going to retire on paper it seems like the best fit for him would be the Patriots. But he’s selling his house there and buying one in Greenwich CT. That doesn’t mean he can’t still live near Boston he could buy a condo etc. He has the money that’s for sure. But what teams can use a starting QB next season and might be a fit for him. You’d think not the Giants and not us. I’m looking at teams around the NFL and see some potential landing spots if he leaves New England. Like Carolina, Cincy, Denver, Jax, Miami, Wash, Indy, LAC (Rivers contract is over) even the Raiders (Carr has 3 years left on his contract at under 20 mil per. They could trade him). It would be a good way to start their time in Vegas with a future HOF Qb. I look at that list and Denver sticks out to me. They have Elway which could appeal to Brady. They’ve done this before with Peyton and they won a Super Bowl.  They drafted a young QB who won some games at end of the season but he’d take a back seat to Brady plus Flacco probably won’t be coming back he had a neck injury.