Report: Jets Plan on Making Push to Retain Robby, Bidding Could hit $15 Million

JetNation

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

With Mahomes, the 6th pick in the '18 draft and those 3 second round picks?

At the very worst, I'd say we're a playoff team, and a helluva lot closer to the Super Bowl, wouldn't you?

Here's the thing about these comparisons.  People try very hard to ignore a middle ground.

Sam Darnold, and his bottom of the league numbers, is the absolute best a QB could be in this situation, and the 50 TD Super Bowl MVP would be no better than Sam Darnold in this situation.

Patrick Mahomes is better than Sam Darnold.  He probably wouldn't be a 50 TD Super Bowl MVP on the Jets, but he'd probably be better than bottom of the league numbers.  This isn't rocket surgery.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

With Mahomes, the 6th pick in the '18 draft and those 3 second round picks?

At the very worst, I'd say we're a playoff team, and a helluva lot closer to the Super Bowl. Wouldn't you?

Well yea, but the questions was...with this group. Sam would be better with those 3 second round picks too...well...maybe not if Macc was still picking them ?.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 seems high but what do i know.  there are some intangibles to paying robbie to stay.  he's been a jet his whole career and really hasn't been an off field problem.  oh i'm sure some people will point out the altercation with the cops in fl and the fact that he doesn't always speak english very well but he has also showed up to play in most games and hasn't exactly had a bunch of all pros throwing to him.  re-signing robbie shows the team is capable of committing to players that produce. 

12 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Here's the thing about these comparisons.  People try very hard to ignore a middle ground.

Sam Darnold, and his bottom of the league numbers, is the absolute best a QB could be in this situation, and the 50 TD Super Bowl MVP would be no better than Sam Darnold in this situation.

Patrick Mahomes is better than Sam Darnold.  He probably wouldn't be a 50 TD Super Bowl MVP on the Jets, but he'd probably be better than bottom of the league numbers.  This isn't rocket surgery.

How much better is the question, to me at least.  

12 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

unfortunately it's water under the bridge.  mahomes is, imo, the best qb in the nfl right now.  forget brady, rodgers, wentz, allen, watson, wilson, prescott, jackson et al.  mahomes is incredible and he gets the players around him to play much better than they would for an ordinary qb.  darnold?  different type of qb but can also succeed throwing or even running a bit.  he had such a bad oline it's hard to say how much better he would've been.

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well yea, but the questions was...with this group. Sam would be better with those 3 second round picks too...well...maybe not if Macc was still picking them ?.

I don't think you can or should make the "this group" argument when you're discussing Mahomes and Darnold. The reason why people bring up Mahomes is because they feel the Jets could've taken him instead of Adams in '17. Because we didn't, we had to pay a huge price to move up for the pick that got us Darnold.

I understand and agree with you that Mahomes wouldn't be putting up the numbers here that he has in KC, but I think Mahomes is a much better QB then Sam, so I also think he'd be better here then Sam has been been even with the same players. With the extra picks, it's not even a question.

You make a valid point about Macc being the guy picking them, though, LOL.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't think you can or should make the "this group" argument when you're discussing Mahomes and Darnold. The reason why people bring up Mahomes is because they feel the Jets could've taken him instead of Adams in '17. Because we didn't, we had to pay a huge price to move up for the pick that got us Darnold.

I understand and agree with you that Mahomes wouldn't be putting up the numbers here that he has in KC, but I think Mahomes is a much better QB then Sam, so I also think he'd be better here then Sam has been been even with the same players. With the extra picks, it's not even a question.

You make a valid point about Macc being the guy picking them, though, LOL.

I actually wanted Watson. We'd be way further along then we are now. 

3 hours ago, genot said:

He's a cancer. We'd regret it a year later.

Maybe but we can also cut him a year later with no cap penalty so it’s really not a huge gamble. With Cooper likely getting 18mil+, Robby possibly getting $15+ it’s not a bad value 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who makes what?

Youre not even close.

Go look at OBJs cap hit for 2020 it’s 14mil, followed by remaining hits of 15mil. Do research before trying to look like you have any clue what you’re talking about. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/odell-beckham-jr-14421/

https://overthecap.com/player/odell-beckham-jr/2951/

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Go look at OBJs cap hit for 2020 it’s 14mil, followed by remaining hits of 15mil. Do research before trying to look like you have any clue what you’re talking about. 

He signed a 5 year, $95 mil deal, $65 mil of it guaranteed.  I don't care what his base salary in 2020 is 

Thats all I'm saying

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

How much better is the question, to me at least.  

Obviously impossible to know.  I think meaningfully.  But, I'm not sold on Darnold as a good QB once the pieces are in place.  I'm sold on Darnold as decent.  But, I could see him as frustratingly middle of the road.  I personally think that's the most likely outcome, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Well that’s because of the trade.

OBJ isn’t a UFA who’s signable at that money, and never was. His contract was $18MM/year, it was signed 2 seasons ago, and wasn’t a UFA contract either (it was an extension; he was still on the Giants with the 5th year option season still remaining, not by hitting FA to the highest bidder, let alone under a $200MM cap limit). Amortizing his value at the time would equate to a 2020 contract of just over $20MM/year. 

The only reason he’s $14MM this year is because Cleveland gave up a mid-1st round pick in the trade, and the Giants were willing to absorb that SB after 1 season just to be rid of him (like Pittsburgh did with Antonio Brown). 

There was a $20MM signing bonus that came first with OBJ. That’s why his base salary for this year is just $14MM. You want to surrender our 1st rounder for him this year? Me neither.

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

FWIW, Jarvis Landry is not any more my idea of a WR you overpay than Robby.  In fact, Robby has more TDs over the past two seasons than Landry.  Same is true of Watkins and Cooks.  Then you have Brown who melted down into worthless slag, and Beckham who is one step away from that some weeks.  Thielen nearly disappeared this past season as well.  

So basically, half of that list probably wasn't worth the money.  Welcome to the 21st century NFL.

Anderson is nowhere near the talent on that list. So the Jets should overpay for a mediocre receiver? He for sure isn't a #1 and its a stretch to say he's a #2. Here is what someone posted and I agree with. 10 million a year for 3 years or goodbye.

The rumor mill is running rampant in regards to NY Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson at the NFL Combine. Here are all the latest details.

When the NFL Combine comes to town it isn’t just about all the college football players working out.

Every year it’s a golden opportunity for the 32 NFL franchises all convening in one convenient location ahead of free agency to start chit-chatting.

One of the biggest pending free agents for the NY Jets is wide receiver, Robby Anderson. Where will he go? How much money will he cost?

Our Paul A. Esden Jr. spoke with NFL Information Broker, Benjamin Allbright, this week on The Manchild Show with Boy Green to get some more information:

“For the Jets fans listening Robby Anderson is getting a little bit of run here at the NFL Combine. He’s probably going to wind up in Carolina with the Panthers.

In terms of his contract, he’s going to get something in the $9 million per year range. I don’t think he’s going to get that top of the wide receiver market money. Robby may get close to $10 million per year on a three-year deal in free agency this year.”

A three year deal for around $30 million max ($10 million average) that would make Robby the 25th highest-paid receiver in football, per Spotrac.

For context, the NY Jets handed Jamison Crowder a three-year $28.5 million contract last year as a free agent. Currently, Jamison is the 26th highest-paid receiver in football.

The best wide receivers in all of football are in the $20 million per year average, if you could get Anderson for literally half that price why wouldn’t you?

Robby Anderson isn’t a No. 1 wide receiver. He hasn’t put up those kinds of numbers, he hasn’t shown a diverse enough route tree, and he’s inconsistent catching the football which is a prerequisite to playing the receiver position.

Despite that, the Jets should lock up Anderson to a long-term deal if the reported figures are accurate. It wouldn’t put the team in cap hell and this would help continuity on the offense for Sam Darnold and company heading into 2020."

I would be ok with signing Robbie to a reasonable contract, if someone else wants to give him 13-15 million, good luck to them.

15 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Anderson is nowhere near the talent on that list. So the Jets should overpay for a mediocre receiver? He for sure isn't a #1 and its a stretch to say he's a #2. Here is what someone posted and I agree with. 10 million a year for 3 years or goodbye.

The rumor mill is running rampant in regards to NY Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson at the NFL Combine. Here are all the latest details.

When the NFL Combine comes to town it isn’t just about all the college football players working out.

Every year it’s a golden opportunity for the 32 NFL franchises all convening in one convenient location ahead of free agency to start chit-chatting.

One of the biggest pending free agents for the NY Jets is wide receiver, Robby Anderson. Where will he go? How much money will he cost?

Our Paul A. Esden Jr. spoke with NFL Information Broker, Benjamin Allbright, this week on The Manchild Show with Boy Green to get some more information:

“For the Jets fans listening Robby Anderson is getting a little bit of run here at the NFL Combine. He’s probably going to wind up in Carolina with the Panthers.

In terms of his contract, he’s going to get something in the $9 million per year range. I don’t think he’s going to get that top of the wide receiver market money. Robby may get close to $10 million per year on a three-year deal in free agency this year.”

A three year deal for around $30 million max ($10 million average) that would make Robby the 25th highest-paid receiver in football, per Spotrac.

For context, the NY Jets handed Jamison Crowder a three-year $28.5 million contract last year as a free agent. Currently, Jamison is the 26th highest-paid receiver in football.

The best wide receivers in all of football are in the $20 million per year average, if you could get Anderson for literally half that price why wouldn’t you?

Robby Anderson isn’t a No. 1 wide receiver. He hasn’t put up those kinds of numbers, he hasn’t shown a diverse enough route tree, and he’s inconsistent catching the football which is a prerequisite to playing the receiver position.

Despite that, the Jets should lock up Anderson to a long-term deal if the reported figures are accurate. It wouldn’t put the team in cap hell and this would help continuity on the offense for Sam Darnold and company heading into 2020."

I would be ok with signing Robbie to a reasonable contract, if someone else wants to give him 13-15 million, good luck to them.

I think he ends up between there. $11-12MM sounds about right. If he can be had for $10MM elsewhere, and $11MM gets him here, yes I pay it. $12MM? I probably pay that, too, just so the team isn’t pigeonholed into taking a WR at #11 even if a better T prospect is sitting right there. But $4MM more? No. 

Also keep in mind he’s not getting 2-3 years fully guaranteed no matter what contract he signs. He may have an injury guarantee for year 2, but (unlike Enunwa) he’s been reliable from a health standpoint. If he’s not living up to his contract they’d be able to cut him after 1 year. Then this hand-wringing is all over a one-time cost of a couple million difference during Darnold's 3rd season with the Jets needing two starting WRs right now.

Less would be better, though.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

that front office personnel from the Jets admit it will cost a lot to retain Robby Anderson.

no sh*t 

thats the whole story lolololol

It’s a sh-tty free agent WR class. Robby is easily the second best UFA

They should have traded Adams to the Cowboys when they had the chance

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Who would you want us to spend the money on? 

Exactly.  Pay him the extra 3Mill, you’ve had him his whole career at chump change figures.  The most important thing is his chemistry with Darnold.  You can’t just take that away, along with trying to have almost an entire new OL get it together also.  

That Darnold, going into Year 3, will already need to have almost his entire unit wearing name tags next year is bad enough and testament to one of the worst organizations in all of sports.

• Post of the Week 1

Davante Adams is probably a pretty good comp for Robby.  He's only had one 1,000 yard season in his 6 in the league.  He did catch more TDs the last 3 years but he also does play with Aaron Rodgers.  From a number perspective, Robby should probably come in a little lower than Adams but it's a year later so while I'd love to see a deal happen at $12MM/season, I think it's going to be closer to $14MM.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mahomes would be a top 5 QB anywhere.  Maybe not # 1, but top 5 for sure.

If Sam were in KC, no way he's throwing 50 TDs, and he's probably not winning a SB either.

That's the difference.  

Yeah sure mahomes top 5 for sure. 

Darnold in KC top 5 for sure too.

Darnold has shown good play with everything against him. Mahomes on the other hand missing a wr or two and some solid pressure has come up short on 1 or 2 occasions. Not to take anythit away from mahomes but Sam has everything against him and still getting it out. Most would not be able to fare the same.

Darnold is great man, talent wise.

12 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Exactly.  Pay him the extra 3Mill, you’ve had him his whole career at chump change figures.  The most important thing is his chemistry with Darnold.  You can’t just take that away, along with trying to have almost an entire new OL get it together also.  

That Darnold, going into Year 3, will already need to have almost his entire unit wearing name tags next year is bad enough and testament to one of the worst organizations in all of sports.

I’d rather trade a 7th for Alshon Jeffery and draft Jeudy

On 2/27/2020 at 7:07 PM, slimjasi said:

Ahhh, so this thread became another excuse for the people with a hard on for the QB to get their usual circle jerk going. 

Cool, cool. 

Issues currently with the franchise: 

1. Ownership

2. Ownership  

3. Fanbase naively thinking ownership got it right with another “football guy” at GM (who was on the outs in Philly like Maccagnan was in Houston) while they also hired a HC who the league thinks is a joke. 

4. Ownership, front office and fanbase all in on a QB who has not been good because it’s everyone else’s fault somehow.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, DLJ said:

Jets fans want the team to get rid of everyone, then bitch and moan when we have a team full of scrubs playing en route to a 2-14 season.

All the brilliant players we want to resign have brought us to what, 5 or 6 wins per year?

We already have a team full of scrubs, at all the most important positions.

No oline, no pass rusher, no #1 or #2 CB, no #1 wr.

Try and retain players that can help for a reasonable cost?  Sure.  Over pay our own 'scrubs' no way.

I like Anderson, I hope we can keep him, over committing to a guy like him his foolish however.