The Firm or Perriman, Crowder and Mims

Whoever can get open will get the ball. QBs make better WRs not the other way around. Tom Brady made average WRs millions in free Agency & most were busts or proved to be just average WRs bolstered by Tom Bradys accuracy & smarts.

4 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

"Speed creates pressure. Pressure bursts pipes," Douglas said. "When you have one guy who can run by you, you worry. When you have three guys, that really puts teams in a bind. When you have that explosive dynamic, you can have three-point shooters and you don't have to worry about the 12-, 15-play drives. You can throw in a couple 1-, 2, 3-play drives, now you're cooking."

Player Height Weight 40
Bershad Perriman 6'2" 212 4.26
George Campbell 6'4" 183 4.35
Vyncint Smith 6'2" 190 4.36
Denzel Mims 6'3" 206 4.38
Josh Bellamy 6'1" 205 4.38
Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 4.41
Braxton Berrios 5'7" 184 4.44
Jamison Crowder 5'7" 185 4.46
Josh Doctson 6'2" 190 4.50
Lawrence Cager 6'5" 220

Hopefully they have sticky hands as well. 

The OP did a good job of breaking down why JD did not take another WR in this year’s draft we have get by WRs right now to potentially very good WRs   

The team had been so mismanaged that we were and are so deficient that JD had to take fundamental building block pieces in this year’s draft which while not sexy are needed to have and be done in order to build and create a winning program.  

For example, taking a punter while not sexy, if he is good, you have potentially taken care of your field position concerns for over a decade.  

Contrast this with Mac or Idzik who had our ST look like crap at times because they didn’t invest in foundational pieces.  

All of the Jets ills could not be taken care of in one draft, but JD did an outstanding job of laying the foundation for IMO organizational competence and eventual greatness. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The OP did a good job of breaking down why JD did not take another WR in this year’s draft we have get by WRs right now to potentially very good WRs   

The team had been so mismanaged that we were and are so deficient that JD had to take fundamental building block pieces in this year’s draft which while not sexy are needed to have and be done in order to build and create a winning program.  

For example, taking a punter while not sexy, if he is good, you have potentially taken care of your field position concerns for over a decade.  

Contrast this with Mac or Idzik who had our ST look like crap at times because they didn’t invest in foundational pieces.  

Just imagine if either of the prior nut jobs at GM had invested heavily in the OL our current draft would have looked much much differently!

But they didn’t so JD had to address it now. 

All of the Jets ills could not be taken care of in one draft, but JD did an outstanding job of laying the foundation for IMO organizational competence and eventual greatness. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I like the potential Campbell offers I would be surprised if Cager made the 53 man roster at all tbh much less beat out doctson . And it’s not that I think doctson is good. Just don’t think much of Cager

I never heard of him and read up a little bit. Sounds a lot like Robbie Anderson TBH - tall and lanky, fast, very good at tracking the ball but not very good at contested catches.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

"Speed creates pressure. Pressure bursts pipes," Douglas said. "When you have one guy who can run by you, you worry. When you have three guys, that really puts teams in a bind. When you have that explosive dynamic, you can have three-point shooters and you don't have to worry about the 12-, 15-play drives. You can throw in a couple 1-, 2, 3-play drives, now you're cooking."

Player Height Weight 40
Lawrence Cager 6'5" 220

Some of these guys are going to have to step up right away. The beginning of the season might be rough offensively. A lot of potential but not a lot of proven NFL players. Crowder and Enunwa if he's even available. 

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Gotta pray Mims works out. Sam has been throwing to garbage his whole career

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Mims biggest issues will just be cleaning up his route running and working on his release moves.. Those are the two issues I saw on film..

The plus side is shawn jefferson is an excellent receivers coach, and not many guys ran better contested routes than hines ward so he's going to be taught very well going forward.  Thats why I loved the upside of mims coming in, he's a really talented receiver, the film is great, he's very physical and has elite size and athleticism.  The things he needed to clean up are small.

I just wanted to pair him with someone like van jefferson or duvernay which was a little disappointing but this is a multi year project, I expect this team to be adding a lot more weapons over the next few years. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Lawrence Cager:

Overview

There are two versions of Lawrence Cager. The Miami Hurricane version played slower and had issues with focus drops. The Georgia Bulldog version played faster and with better fluidity of movement. In fact, he played with elite focus and contested catch talent. He is a reliable possession receiver with the size and toughness to work the middle of the field, but proved he could make impressive catches on all three levels. Both versions had issues with injury, so his medicals and 40-yard-dash time will play a substantial role in deciding whether or not he gets drafted, but his 2019 tape was definitely good enough.

I hope the Georgia Bulldog version shows up.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Swear this should be a law firm lol.  Seriously, Those should be our starters, and I can't wait to see them on the field together. 

Crowder 

Perriman

Mims

If they can stay healthy, Sam has some legit weaponz for change.   Holdovers V. Smith, Berrios, J. Doctson, J. Bellamy and now add newcomers Lawrence Cager and George Campbell.  Both Cager and Campbell are 6'4 or taller and in the case of Campbell, while extremely raw, ran 4.35.   I think they are candidates for the practice squad but I would not be surprised if Cager made the team at the expense of a Josh Doctson.   You can't teach 6'5 220.  When I look at his film, he really looks like a poor mans Pittman Jr.  

Lawrence Cager

George Campbell

I have to say after only drafting one receiver, I am excited and interested to see what these two UDFA receivers can do.  I am cautiously optimistic.  

Agree 100 %.  A lot to be excited about.  I'm thrilled that JD got Mims, especially in the spot that he did.  I think he's going to be a contributor from day one.   Also adding to the excitement is all the new manpower JD added to the offensive line.  It will help foster the production of the "law firm" by protecting Darnold and creating opportunities for Bell... More time for the QB and open up play action.  Factor in all the production they should get from the TE's and the Jets should have a whole new offense... 

4 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Hey, Mims doesn't get his name on the door yet, He's just a first year associate, he's the one who needs to earn it by working 130 hour weeks for a few years.

Besides, Perriman, Crowder isn't exactly the football equivalent of Weil Gotshal

This is a terrific post and I fully expect somebody to ask who the hell Weil was and what his receiving stats were

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I like the potential Campbell offers I would be surprised if Cager made the 53 man roster at all tbh much less beat out doctson . And it’s not that I think doctson is good. Just don’t think much of Cager

I think cager has a much better chance than Campbell of making the 53, though Campbell may have a better chance than cager of making the practice squad, just because of the diversity of Cagers game from the other guys we already have on the 53. None of our roster locks at wide receiver are the big body possession type

• Upvote 2

for everyone who wanted them to add another receiver I understand it but the contra case is Hines Ward can't really develop all these guys at once

this goes for all of JD's draft picks he gave each positional group a little something to chew on but didn't overwhelm any one group. 

there's only so much bandwidth available to focus on the rookies, especially during the season 

I'd rather the coaches be focused on their one shiny new toy (or in Frank Pollack's case, two) than have them wondering how to develop 3 top 100 rookies, none of which can run a proper route  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I never heard of him and read up a little bit. Sounds a lot like Robbie Anderson TBH - tall and lanky, fast, very good at tracking the ball but not very good at contested catches.

Love the new avatar Barry! Will go down in Jet infamy as with Eagle fans throwing snow balls at Santa. 

• Haha 1

Posted this in the other thread but it fits better here.....

I don't hate our WR room as much as some others here.Plug in Mims at WR1, with the large caveat that he may or may not pan out.  Call him a mid range WR2 for arguments sake.

We have Perriman at our WR2 spot. A lot of people here are down on him as less than a WR2, ok call him a WR3. A hungry WR3 with all the physical tools to be more.

We have Crowder in the slot as our WR3 but really more of a #2 target and a security blanket for Sam. I really believe Crowder is a quality receiver, I liked him in Washington and was very happy when we signed him.

If those three are averaging out at WR2's collectively I don't think the situation is as "dire" as some make it out to be. We have Doctson and V.Smith at WR4 with upside along with Herndon and Griffin at TE, could be worse.

I'm not saying we are set at receiver.... But it's not all ****.

We definitely need another wideout or two.

But, considering the lack of free agents options + the value of the players we took in the draft, I can’t blame Douglas for our wideout group. 

I agree with the Build the OL 1st and then get the weapons approach. We don’t need Megatrons, OBJ’s, Moss’s, Fitzgerald’s, either...all who have a combined 0 rings.

We don’t need one monster WR. But we need a good group.

But next year (or if anyone shakes free this training camp or trade deadline) adding more quality should be a high priority.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

We definitely need another wideout or two.

But, considering the lack of free agents options + the value of the players we took in the draft, I can’t blame Douglas for our wideout group. 

I agree with the Build the OL 1st and then get the weapons approach. We don’t need Megatrons, OBJ’s, Moss’s, Fitzgerald’s, either...all who have a combined 0 rings.

We don’t need one monster WR. But we need a good group.

But next year (or if anyone shakes free this training camp or trade deadline) adding more quality should be a high priority.

seriously none of it matters is darnold isnt the real deal

It all depends on how fast Mims and Darnold can work together. Mims is actually very good in the intermediate range. This gives us size in a place we weren’t winning after we lost Herndon. Crowder, Bell, and Griffen win short, Herndon, Mims win intermediate, Perriman and Vyncint Smith hopefully win deep. It’s a varied group with athletic upside, hopefully Gase and Jefferson can develop them into something above average.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:30 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Mims biggest issues will just be cleaning up his route running and working on his release moves.. Those are the two issues I saw on film..

The plus side is shawn jefferson is an excellent receivers coach, and not many guys ran better contested routes than hines ward so he's going to be taught very well going forward.  Thats why I loved the upside of mims coming in, he's a really talented receiver, the film is great, he's very physical and has elite size and athleticism.  The things he needed to clean up are small.

I just wanted to pair him with someone like van jefferson or duvernay which was a little disappointing but this is a multi year project, I expect this team to be adding a lot more weapons over the next few years. 

You are pretty spot-on with that assessment.  Check this out:

has rare measurables for the wide receiver position and will be a very attractive gamble for some team after the first round. He shows excellent vertical speed, especially for someone his size, and can be intimidating to a cornerback when isolated on the perimeter. He has the size of a tight end with the speed, agility and ball skills of a wide receiver. He needs a lot of work on his route running skills as he tends to round off his breaks and will telegraph his routes with too much upper body movement. He can make acrobatic type catches but will drop some very catchable passes due to lapses in concentration. He is not a very physical blocker on the edge in spite of his massive size advantage.

6'3", 224, supposedly ran a 4.38 40 

vs Mims 6'3", 207, 4.38 40

Mims is a long-striding outside target with excellent height, weight and speed and an insane catch-radius. He's a touchdown threat anytime he's near the red zone, with the focus and body control to finesse and finish catches above the rim. He struggles to release and separate from physical press corners, and he doesn't consistently compete and outwork opponents for positioning on contested catches. If the route work and intensity catch up with his natural athletic ability, he could become a dangerous "Z" receiver in a vertical offense, but the floor might be lower than some teams are comfortable with.

That first profile is Demaryius Thomas.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:34 AM, nyjbuddy said:

Player Height Weight 40
Lawrence Cager 6'5" 220

nice chart.  i didn't think smith was that fast.