Ok, own up. Who was bashing JD when he moved from #48?

I did. And I still think it was the wrong move, even though I'm hopeful with the picks that we did make. Technically we could have went...

Jerry Jeudy/Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Bryan Edwards with our first 4 picks and I think this board would have been worshiping JD like a god. Not a single person on the board thought safety was a need on day 2. 

Unfortunately, nobody will remotely admit to that, for sheer sake of being right. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, JTJet said:

I did. And I still think it was the wrong move, even though I'm hopeful with the picks that we did make. Technically we could have went...

Jerry Jeudy/Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Bryan Edwards with our first 4 picks and I think this board would have been worshiping JD like a god. Not a single person on the board thought safety was a need on day 2. 

Unfortunately, nobody will remotely admit to that, for sheer sake of being right. 

I'd have been pretty pissed if we didn't go tackle at 11 with one of the top 4 on the board. Was saying before the draft it's just the far more pressing need. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

8 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i bashed him, but i also feel like it wasn't mims he was expecting to take at 59. i think he was planning on taking van jefferson and when he was gone and mims was still there he took him

I think they have 3 or 4 finalists who they are considering when they decide to drop back and if they think at least one will be there they make the move. Good strategy.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i bashed him, but i also feel like it wasn't mims he was expecting to take at 59. i think he was planning on taking van jefferson and when he was gone and mims was still there he took him

Typically when a team trades down they see a block of players with a similar grade with multiple options that they like. 
No doubt Jefferson was on their radar. I loved what the draftniks said about him and you know his dad had mixed feelings about him going before the Jets pick 

the board really wanted Mims but we’ll never know for sure if JD had a specific target. 

either way refreshing to see a Jets GM get the benefit of the doubt 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

I thought that at first, now I'm not so sure. I get the potential father-son thing, but I don't know if JD cared about that. Van was over-drafted.

I think he had a group of players rated similarly that he would have been happy with... Mims happened to be at the top of that group.
  • Upvote 1

If mims was his guy then trading down is a stupid risk you don't take with a gaping hole at wr. He must have been content with about 10 guys graded around equal at the slot to make that move. I really did not think he had interest in Mims when he made the trade down because I believe there is a drop off in talent after him at the position, probably alot of other teams thought that and did not try to jump us to draft him either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

We got the player he wanted, and the extra pick #101, turned into a QB who seems to have a pretty good amount of talent, and a potential starting OL down the road. We all saw first hand last year what happens when your backup QB's are horrid. Would it not be the irony of all ironies, if Morgan turns into the QB who finally leads us back to the promised land, thanks to BB needing to trade up for another TE??

I was definitely calling for Mims at 48 and was disappointed when we traded back. I figured we'd most definitely miss out on him. I was also telling the drama queens to relax ?.

Then as we the lead up to 59 happened I was shocked  he was still there. Definitely thought we might continue to pass on him as it seemed all bets were off. Very glad we took him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

I think this happened a lot in the draft. Just a hunch, I only gather it based off of what we watched on tv. The Jets let the clock run out on mostly every pick, felt like they were working for trades, which is an indication that their guy wasnt there. 

Jedrick Wills taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldn't find a value trade, settled for Becton. 

Higgins/Pittman/Shenault/Hamler taken before us. We worked the phones and managed to move back, settled for Mims.

Julian Okwara taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldn't find a value trade, settled for Davis. 

Matt Hennessy taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldnt find a value trade, settled for Zuniga.

That haul would have matched positions with essentially what we wound up with (OT/WR/DE/C) or (OT/WR/S/DE) and I think most people would have been equally calling JD a draft god if he came away with those players, if not more so. 100% of this board would have rather had a center than a safety. 

Obviously we can't know for sure, but theres a fair argument that's what was happening at least. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I'd have been pretty pissed if we didn't go tackle at 11 with one of the top 4 on the board. Was saying before the draft it's just the far more pressing need. 

Yeah I hear ya, I understand the circumstances. This WR class was loaded, so got me pretty excited leading up to the draft though. 

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know if I "bashed" Douglas but I was definitely disappointed. I wanted Mims... So things worked out perfectly.

Same - no bashing but I really wanted Mims there and didnt think there was any way he would be there at 59, so clearly I was on point!

I love trading down in general but, in real time, it's easy to fall in love with your top guy on the board at any spot. So I was torn, but still trusting in JD. Definitely did not expect Mims to be there 11 picks later. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

27 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! AmIRight?

• Upvote 1

The trade worked out., but I sure did not like it at the time 

I came into the draft wanting one of Thomas/Becton/Wills/Wirfs in the first and one of HIggins/Pittman/Mims in the 2nd.  I would have been willing to trade pick 79 to go up and get one of the receivers.  As soon as HIggins and Pittman came off the board with the first two picks of the 2nd, I thought we had to trade up to go get Mims (shows what kind of a GM I would make).  Then when we were ont he clock at 48, i thought we had to take him.  Did not like the trade back at all.  Maybe it was luck, maybe JD read the draft well, or maybe a little bit of both.  It worked out and we got the guy I wanted, so I am not going to complain, but I was sure sweating out that hour while guys came off the board.

Ultimately, we got two guys I wanted with first two picks so I was happy.  And added some extra picks in the process.  I guess JD is a better GM than I would make.

• Upvote 2

Douglas will get criticized regardless of what he does or doesn’t do. It’s the nature of the GM position. There will always be people who say “my way would’ve been better” and nitpick every single detail. 

I’ll admit, the Ashtyn Davis pick was surprising to me when it happened. I saw “S” next to his name and went “what? Why are we drafting a safety?”  But then I read that he’s also played CB and was a very good player at Cal after walking on. This dude can fly, play special teams, and looks the part of an eventual Brian Poole replacement in 2021. 

Sometimes you just need to dig a little deeper. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I did only because of the fact that two of the 3 WRs I wanted in that spot went right at the beginning of the round. I was convinced he had gotten too cute and should have taken Mims there and been done with it. It obviously worked out, but in real time, I wasn't happy at all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Prez33 said:

Douglas will get criticized regardless of what he does or doesn’t do. It’s the nature of the GM position. There will always be people who say “my way would’ve been better” and nitpick every single detail. 

I’ll admit, the Ashtyn Davis pick was surprising to me when it happened. I saw “S” next to his name and went “what? Why are we drafting a safety?”  But then I read that he’s also played CB and was a very good player at Cal after walking on. This dude can fly, play special teams, and looks the part of an eventual Brian Poole replacement in 2021. 

Sometimes you just need to dig a little deeper. 

I see him as a Marcus Maye replacement in 2021 rather than Poole.  But I felt pretty much the same way.  Was like wtf? a safety.  But I understand the pick given the roster construction and who is under contract for 2021.  We are not going to pay both Adams and Maye next season, so I am assuming he replaces Maye.  Not the pick I wanted nor the pick I would have made, but I get it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I'm more interested in anyone who realistically thought Pittman would be there at 48. There were people thinking he would last until the 3rd lol. 

I think it's the mock draft syndrome. Look at Zack Baun, he was a top 35 guy everywhere. Went in the 70's, I think.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think it's the mock draft syndrome. Look at Zack Baun, he was a top 35 guy everywhere. Went in the 70's, I think.

That may really be a thing actually. Lots of mocks had Pittman available late 2nd, but anyone that watched him knew otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Have to keep in mind the list you mentioned may not have been players the team saw as fits and the players they draft like 6 of them were Captains that is not only good long term to get, but especially when you are looking to change a culture desperately in need of it. Becton was a Captain and better for out team then then Ezra and Jones. Mims probably was better for us than Jeudy since we already have a sold clot WR in Crowder and that cloe to the mold Jeudy is whereas Mims is a large body speedster who can win the jump balls and in traffic as well. Davis is for a multitude of reasons like FS if we don't go longer term with Maye or he gets hurt since durability was an issue, and Davis has versatility to play CB and KR so we got uncommon speed with him.

• Sympathy 1

You see it every year. A few players who unexpectedly drop in the draft for various reasons. A player gets graded as a late first or early second rounder, and gets drafted in the 3rd round because of a recent DUI or assault, a red flagged drug test, a bad showing/interview at the pro day, etc.