Costello Report: Adams to Seattle for Two First Round Picks

Lith

6 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Obviously this illustrates Joe D was playing Jamal like a guitar string. He never had any intention extending and awarding him a mega deal contract. Joe D!!!! Who is this masked man? 

AFCAD754-4300-4162-9F05-3C1210FF7DF6.jpeg

Joey D is so ******* smart.

You are SPOT ON.

Jamal was ALWAYS going to be out of here...Joe D was holding holding holding for the best possible trade scenario.

and dear lord in heaven, did he get it!!!!!

WOW.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

we need youthful talent.  yannick accomplishes both of those goals.. depending on what they were asking or getting i wouldnt be opposed to taking a swing for him.  The issue is you almost upbid yourself, you just got that haul for Adams, who while viewed as a top player in the league, doesnt play a premium position or have the impact stats that yannick has.

So if we got that haul for adams, what do you think the jags are looking to get now for Yannik?

I think sometimes you got a roll the dice for talent that is emerging. Especially when one is coming into his prime and we don’t have a bona fide pass rusher. Whether we draft a 21-year-old, or trade for a 24-year-old that’s more or less private, I think it’s a conversation worth having.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

“One of the best players in the league”. Lol

Adams can’t get interceptions as a Safety unless the QB is Matt Cassell or Jarrett Stidham

stick with your Baker fanboy nonsense

Okay genius. The Jets got two 1sts and a player for a guy you think isn't any good.... Feel stupid yet?

• Thumb Down 3

21 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

The Seahawks got a 25 year old player who is one of the best players in the league. We got picks we hope will pan out in three years.

What is "desperate" about their situation, exactly? They have one of the top 3 QBs in the game, and he has at least 8 years left in him. They are a well run organization, that knows how to win. Not to mention one of the biggest home field advantages in the league, maybe the biggest.

We should be so desperate.

Go read their forums. Their fans have serious concerns about how they will protect Wilson and who is gonna rush the passer. Wilson might have 8 years left, but if you can't protect the QB, nothing else matters (as we know to well). So now they got a shiny new safety that isn't technically a pass rusher not is he blocking for Russel. Do you think, after all you've seen, this is a championship formula? Does this put them ahead of the niners? You sure they not desperate?

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Their cap situation isn't the best and they have a number of guys that they need to re-sign.  Pete Carroll likely doesn't have many years left in him either. They're going all in before needing to blow it up and retool.  That's what I mean when I say desperate.  Nothing wrong with it, but when you need to retool, you're going to need first round draft picks.  Blowing two of them on a SS isn't what I would consider a smart allocation of resources, but Seattle went ahead and did so best of luck to them.  I don't think this move makes them better than SF, and the Rams can definitely give them a run for their money if they bounce back this year.

No argument that it's a tough division, but good teams make big moves, and as long as they have Wilson going against Goff and Garoppolo, they're right up there with LA and SF.

The cap isn't something teams with good FOs worry about. They find a way to manage it and win. In this case Seattle is betting on Adams being a better investment talent wise than two late 1st round future guys. The bad teams always have a lot of cap space. 

Two high picks or a player is an argument that can go both ways. Given Seattle's history though, I'm not going to doubt them.

• Thumb Down 3

6 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

No argument that it's a tough division, but good teams make big moves, and as long as they have Wilson going against Goff and Garoppolo, they're right up there with LA and SF.

The cap isn't something teams with good FOs worry about. They find a way to manage it and win. In this case Seattle is betting on Adams being a better investment talent wise than two late 1st round future guys. The bad teams always have a lot of cap space. 

Two high picks or a player is an argument that can go both ways. Given Seattle's history though, I'm not going to doubt them.

Seattles history of dismantling a potential dynasty and failing to soround the best QB in the NfL with weapons or protection? 

• Upvote 2

Seattle takes on Jamal's $9.9M 2021 cap hit, I assume.  That raises their 2021 cap liabilities to about $156.9M.  If the cap drops to $175M, that leaves them with just $18.1M in cap space, with the following key players due to hit free agency after the season:

• CB Shaquill Griffin
  • RB Chris Carson
  • LB K.J. Wright
  • G Mike Iupati
  • EDGE Bruce Irvin
  • CB Quinton Dunbar
  • RB Carlos Hyde
  • WR Phillip Dorsett
  • WR David Moore
  • TE Greg Olsen
  • TE Jacob Hollister
  • TE Luke Wilson
  • QB Geno Smith
  • C Joey Hunt
  • G/C Ethan Pocic

Key Free Agents after 2021:

• LT Duane Brown
  • WR Tyler Lockett
  • CB Tre Flowers
  • DT Jarran Reed
  • RB Rashaad Penny
  • DT Rasheem Green
  • S Quandre Diggs
  • TE Will Dissly

Yeah, safe to say Jamal isn't getting his new deal anytime soon.  

And yes, I get that Adams' contract extension would get tacked onto the end of his current one, thus not really impacting the 2021 or even the 2022 cap much.  Only pointing out the dire straits Seattle's cap will be in when its time to pay up, thanks to Wilson's contract and a bunch of others.  Wilson is due to make $37M in 2022, for instance. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Seattles history of dismantling a potential dynasty and failing to soround the best QB in the NfL with weapons or protection? 

@Mogglez also... just saw your response to nico ?

I'll take Seattle's record since they "dismantled" their team and be very happy, and say thank you very much. 

• Thumb Down 3

As predicted:

"To NY & especially the Jets fans: I love you & will always love you. You all will hold a special place in my heart forever. When I came into the league, you embraced me & watched me grow! We went through it all together. Thank you for the Luv & support these 3 years. #Prez Out."

Fing fraud.

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

It is negative.....  and its true.   we have had basically a 10 year run of WARM dog shly for GM's.   Douglas did a good job here but going back 8 years how many of our 1st and 2nds are on the team???

Yeah I get that, but if the present is golden why bring up the past? Unless you (the writer) is a tiny, bitter man. Especially when JD has nothing to do with the picks made. 

What will the narrative be if Becton is a success from the get go? “Yeah sure he is good but look at the others drafted in the first round.” It’s just poor journalism...if it is journalism at all. 

• Upvote 1

This could be a win-win trade, Seattle gets a bona-fide top young player when on the field is a great presence.  He'll be the face of that defense are probably do quite well there and maybe even go to the HOF in Seattle colors.  

Seattle IS desperate and aren't really "a great organization" - rather they have an elite QB and some good coaches but they have not built that team well in recent years and have drafted horribly with their high picks.  Russell Wilson will be running for his life again this year and the pass rush is starving.  Carroll is almost 70 and Schneider's seat is heating up and they were falling behind their division and conference.

Jamal is not as impactful as Khalil Mack, Jalen Ramsey and even Laremy Tunsil who all got traded for LESS if you include the starting safety Mdougald we got back in the trade.  What a striking haul for a safety.  And Jamal is great but he isn't Ed Reed or Polamalu good.

2 firsts and a third - wow.  Draft picks are funny things though.  Half don't pan out and if a team picking 26 wanted to get up to #6 where Jamal was drafted then it would probably take two 1's, a 3rd-4th swap and a player.  So I hesitated initially to laud the haul because Jamal lived up to being the 6th overall pick and now we have a bunch of crapshoot draft picks.  But the clincher that makes this a winning trade IS TWOFOLD, Jamal is overrated and the positional value of a SS.  If we were losing en elite pass rusher or LT or CB I'd be really bummed but we're not.  Plus with that $15 mill salaary he was going to be getting every year after he singed a contract we can use on offense for the very good free agent WR class next season (Godwin or Robinson please)

We're losing a safety who probably had inflated stats last year playing against an easy schedule and taking on responsibilities for CJ Mosley who now returns to lead the defense.

I'll miss Jamal in 2020 but 5 years from now we'll still have 3 young highly drafted players on this team plus a stud free agent signed getting his money.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Go read their forums. Their fans have serious concerns about how they will protect Wilson and who is gonna rush the passer. Wilson might have 8 years left, but if you can't protect the QB, nothing else matters (as we know to well). So now they got a shiny new safety that isn't technically a pass rusher not is he blocking for Russel. Do you think, after all you've seen, this is a championship formula? Does this put them ahead of the niners? You sure they not desperate?

Personally, I don't think Russ plays at 39 years old, so I don't know why anyone would think he's got another 8 years in him.

Well played JoeD...I said some time ago when he started agitating that JA had to go...JoeD has bided his time, cleared him out before the team reconvened for training camp, improved future draft prospects and taken pressure off the cap...

Let’s not forget we also get a starting Safety to replace the one we lost (yes maybe not as talented but a starting Safety nonetheless)...and if Ashtyn Davis can be the player we hope he will then alongside Marcus Maye and Bradley McDougald the Jets look OK back there...

Honestly (and you can shoot me down in flames for this) given what JoeD has got in return for a player that looked like was going to cause trouble in the locker room I’m more disappointed about losing Robbie Anderson than I am about losing our starting Safety...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I just woke up, and read the news.... Funny, because I'm flying to Seattle today. If I still lived in NJ, I'd wonder if JA was on the same flight as me lol...

For anyone who questions who the ADULT in the room is at ONE JETS DRIVE. We now have the answer.

JD, thanks, and hope you have a wonderful day.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre embarrassing yourself

You should stop with hes not so good posts

Now were on his position isnt import therefore he isnt that good line of logic?

Is thats what left after you said Jamal wouldn't bring back a 1?  Like I said, you guys need to stop with the player ratings

You're literally the last person left on the sinking ship of Adam's defenders. I can't remember the last time the Jets made ANY move, significant or otherwise that was met with such overwhelming support by people on this site. Prior to shipping off this cancer, there has been seemingly NOTHING this team could do that would fail to split the fan base. You're the last person left waving your Jamal pompoms and living in the alternate universe where your run stuffing God is the key to Jets promise land. As someone else pointed out, you're a bit outnumbered and its commical.

There is quite liteally NO ONE on this site LESS equipped to be pointing to anyone else as "embarrassing yourself". Thanks for the laugh, Nut. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1