Jets “deeply involved” in trade talks for Yannick

Rhg1084

I'm not concerned about Manish or Cimini not hearing anything.

My guess is that Joe D. is running a very tight ship - which is why there are no leaks to the beat writers out of the Jets organization these days.  To further support this, remember that nobody knew about the Jamal trade and Seattle's interest until the trade had already happened and Costello reported it.  Because of Manish's antics trying to stir stuff up, they've frozen out everyone.

It's likely that the leak to Lombardi came out of Jacksonville, either by the Jags front office or Yannick's camp, basically telling the market "The Jets are the highest bidder, anybody want to offer better than this?"  Makes perfect sense that nobody in NY has a clue.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

This is what his agent said:

You should have posted the whole tweet. "As of now" was an important part of the tweet the you decided to cherry pick out of it. 

Whatever man.  I didn't cherry pick anything, but if you want to get upset because I said it isn't likely he's getting traded, let alone getting traded here, be my guest.  

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

My guess is that Joe D. is running a very tight ship - which is why there are no leaks to the beat writers out of the Jets organization these days.  To further support this, remember that nobody knew about the Jamal trade and Seattle's interest until the trade had already happened and Costello reported it.  Because of Manish's antics trying to stir stuff up, they've frozen out everyone.

It's likely that the leak to Lombardi came out of Jacksonville, either by the Jags front office or Yannick's camp, basically telling the market "The Jets are the highest bidder, anybody want to offer better than this?"  Makes perfect sense that nobody in NY has a clue.

The Jets are NOT making this trade.  Honestly, don't get yourself excited just to be disappointed when he's an Eagle, Raven or whatever.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jets are NOT making this trade.  Honestly, don't get yourself excited just to be disappointed when he's an Eagle, Raven or whatever.

I know people get on you for being negative, but I agree with you on this. Don’t see JD making this trade, sounds like Jets are being used as leverage again. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Whatever man.  I didn't cherry pick anything, but if you want to get upset because I said it isn't likely he's getting traded, let alone getting traded here, be my guest.  

I'm not upset.  You presented the info as if it was your personal inside info instead of posting the tweet where you got the info from.  The tweet was less open and shut then the way you presented it.  That's what I was pointing out. 

If this happens it's exactly the scenario Jet fans were looking for. In the NFL your going to have to pay someone, and that someone isn't a box safety, it's a pass rusher or CB on defense. 

Thats why if this takes place I'm so bummed CJ Mosely opted out. You put Yannick on the edge, a determined QW, Shepard, Foley, Phillips, Jenkins, are all elevated for more opportunities. We lost our strong safety but got a veteran back in McDougald, added Davis, have Maye now 2 years removed from injury, getting Avery Williamson back, with Mosely? This defense with an addition like Yannick could have been special if the secondary falls into place with all these young question marks. 

Be an interesting day, let's hope we land this guy. This freaking division is up for grabs. The Pats had their RT, MLB, and starting strong safety opt out. Miami is starting Fitzy & Cam Newton is coming off surgery on his throwing shoulder & a Lisz fracture in his foot! 

This organization should be thinking DIVISION. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

no worries.  I won't be disappointed.  Signing him makes no sense without a log-term deal anyway.  Conveniently ignored by all on this site.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Not athletic? Did you watch the Jets/Jags game last year? He completely dominated that game and sacked Sam twice. If we can get this kid who is a young sack machine you do it and extend him no problem 

yep.  i scratched my head at the not athletic comment.  granted there are guys who don't necessarily show that much at the combines but it's football speed and athleticism that counts and some guys just have the knack.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

2. Ngakoue said he wants to go to a team
Where winning is a part of the culture. Not where losing Is the accepted norm. I find it hard to see how JD can present the Jets to meet that requirement in our current state.

Simple.  Explain how he's the new sheriff in town, how things are changing, how he can be a lead part of that change

Then, and most importantly, pay him.  Only a few ever turn down money. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Simple.  Explain how he's the new sheriff in town, how things are changing, how he can be a lead part of that change

Then, and most importantly, pay him.  Only a few ever turn down money. 

We can’t pay him yet. A “verbal agreement” is not realistic and if we win 5-6 games this year he will leave.

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

If you lose him after 1 season you get a 3 back as a comp pick.

I like to play the comp pick game as much as the next guy, but it is not a foregone conclusion they would get anything back.  If he leaves, but signs after the qualifying date you get nothing.  It used to be 2 weeks after the draft, but I'm not sure about the new CBA.  Clowney could sign a 3/$60M deal tomorrow and the Seahawks would still get nothing.  If you sign a big ticket FA that offsets Ngakoue's contract you would still get nothing - so if they went in big on say an Allen Robinson or JuJu Smith-Schuster he might be offset and we could get nothing.  The pick wouldn't be until 2022 anyway which is a pretty time to wait for what amounts to a high 4th. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

We can’t pay him yet. A “verbal agreement” is not realistic and if we win 5-6 games this year he will leave.

Who said anything about paying him now?  I know he cant.  

Greenbean asked how you can get a player who wants to play for a winner to come to the Jets.  Money, make the offer, thats it.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  i scratched my head at the not athletic comment.  granted there are guys who don't necessarily show that much at the combines but it's football speed and athleticism that counts and some guys just have the knack.

At no position on the field does athleticism matter more than at pass rusher.  And guys who aren't super athletic don't tend to have long, successful careers, especially at that position.  That's where the concern lies for me with that  aspect of Ngakoue's game.  We're talking about a GM who just drafted Jabari Zuniga, who had injury red flags but tested off the charts. 

And meanwhile, I look at a guy like Demarcus Lawrence in Dallas who similarly isn't a special athlete in the least.  He just got paid, and only recorded 5 sacks in 16 games this past season.  His cap number is $21.9M this year and between $22-26M the remaining years on his deal.

We're also talking about a GM who just traded away a malcontent who wanted to be paid top dollar.  Ngakoue deserves more money than Adams, for sure, based on his production and the position he pays to date.  But he strikes me as a guy who might also end up a dog after getting paid.

All of those potential red flags are pretty glaring to me.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Teams don't leak, agents do that. They are negotiating for their clients and will do what is in their best interest.  If leaking a story does that,  then they  make that happen. 

Jags beat writer just Tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/JohnReid64/status/1296440431232901122?s=20

Marrone addressing the Ngakoue situation. —My take they are moving to get a trade deal done.

Again, I think the leak to Lombardi came from the Yannick camp or perhaps Jacksonville's front office in order to try to get a better bid than the Jets.  Perhaps Ngakoue has reservations about playing for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in a decade (even though I think things are looking up for the future).

• Upvote 1

I love the idea of Yannick for a two even if we dump a three year deal on him for big money. Who cares? He’s not Von Miller, but he’s a proven pass rusher that will help Quinnen Williams. You don’t necessarily need 20 sacks out of him, you just need him to make a mess at the LOS on third down. Zero downside to this.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At no position on the field does athleticism matter more than at pass rusher.  And guys who aren't super athletic don't tend to have long, successful careers, especially at that position.  That's where the concern lies for me with that  aspect of Ngakoue's game.  We're talking about a GM who just drafted Jabari Zuniga, who had injury red flags but tested off the charts. 

And meanwhile, I look at a guy like Demarcus Lawrence in Dallas who similarly isn't a special athlete in the least.  He just got paid, and only recorded 5 sacks in 16 games this past season.  His cap number is $21.9M this year and between $22-26M the remaining years on his deal.

We're also talking about a GM who just traded away a malcontent who wanted to be paid top dollar.  Ngakoue deserves more money than Adams, for sure, based on his production and the position he pays to date.  But he strikes me as a guy who might also end up a dog after getting paid.

All of those potential red flags are pretty glaring to me.  

Where in the hell did this narrative that Yannick lacks athleticism come from?  Is it because his 40 time wasn't elite?  I get it, you want Von Miller in his prime, just like I want to date a supermodel.

I've seen enough film to know Yannick's game speed is more than sufficient and he's fully capable of speed rushing off the edge.  He's plenty quick off the line.  The guy makes game changing plays, has a plus motor that you can't coach, and is durable.  That's the kind of guy you want.

• Upvote 1