Training Camp Tweets 8/26 *SCRIMMAGE EDITION

kdels62

46 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

As douglas has proven, there’s one born every minute.  Fleeced the giants and Seahawks. There will be a team in contention whose rb goes down, and there will be opportunities to trade bell.  

Those were for young, cheap (at least at the time in Leo's case) players.  

Bell is a 28-year old RB with 1,852 career touches, whose cap hit is about $14.7M per year thru 2022.  

Granted, he can be cut after this season to save money.  But who is trading a pick away for an aging, rental RB?

19 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

I don't put any stock in to training camp 

That's unwise.  Camp reports are more important than preseason games in many ways.  

And since there aren't any preseason games this season, they're especially important right now.  

Camp isn't over so, sure, today's bad news might not seem so bad in a couple weeks.  But to dismiss the reports entirely?  I guess blissful ignorance is best?....

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those were for young, cheap (at least at the time in Leo's case) players.  

Bell is a 28-year old RB with 1,852 career touches, whose cap hit is about $14.7M per year thru 2022.  

Granted, he can be cut after this season to save money.  But who is trading a pick away for an aging, rental RB?

a desperate, competitive team.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

a desperate, competitive team.  

Competitive teams are never desperate for a 28-year old RB with limited tread on the tires. 

Bell was readily available to the entire league a year ago and only us and the Colts showed any interest.  Think the Colts still have interest after we handed him more money than they offered, AND he's a year older, AND he looked bad last season?  Even if he comes out of the gates strong this season (he likely won't), his stock won't increase signficiantly.

Competitive teams also tend not to have the cap space to take on a $13M+ cap hit, which would be required for anyone trading for Bell.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Competitive teams are never desperate for a 28-year old RB with limited tread on the tires. 

Bell was readily available to the entire league a year ago and only us and the Colts showed any interest.  Think the Colts still have interest after we handed him more money than they offered, AND he's a year older, AND he looked bad last season?  Even if he comes out of the gates strong this season (he likely won't), his stock won't increase signficiantly.

Competitive teams also tend not to have the cap space to take on a $13M+ cap hit, which would be required for anyone trading for Bell.

you never know what teams will be competitive and what rbs will go down.  and douglas could structure a trade so the jets absorb some of his cap.  if anyone can trade him, it's douglas.  but even if he can't, i don't see gase overusing him.  i see a rbbc all season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

you never know what teams will be competitive and what rbs will go down.  and douglas could structure a trade so the jets absorb some of his cap.  if anyone can trade him, it's douglas.  but even if he can't, i don't see gase overusing him.  i see a rbbc all season.

I mean hey, I certainly hope I'm wrong.  If Douglas pulls a trade off, build the statue for him right now.

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Can you show me were I had a problem with the James Morgan pick? Because I can't find it.

22 hours ago, RobR said:

In that scenario do you really think a rookie fourth round QB would be that much better than Fales? If we're not starting Darnold or Flacco the season is lost anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, where did I say I had a problem with the Morgan pick? That line above is just being truthful.

Would you really be happy if you saw Morgan taking snaps this year? Because if that happens the season is over.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

Again, where did I say I had a problem with the Morgan pick? That line above is just being truthful.

Would you really be happy if you saw Morgan taking snaps this year? Because if that happens the season is over.

No but I think its nice to have someone with his potential on a 4-year deal, where he ideally takes over QB2 duties by Year 2.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No but I think its nice to have someone with his potential on a 4-year deal, where he ideally takes over QB2 duties by Year 2.  

So do I, that's why I was confused that you kept tagging me. 

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Man I wish everybody reacted this strongly with Darnold lit up every other practice

no perriman, no mims.  no bell.  the OL is entirely new.  i'm surprised darnold hasn't struggled more.  

i expect these guys to be healthy come opening day, but what happens is anyone's guess.  they're going to try to keep the offense conservative by using the rbs and tes a lot but the way to beat teams is to use the deep speed.  we'll just have to hope there's some element of chemistry/timing between qb and these new wrs.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@RobR has pretty consistently said he would’ve taken Duvernay over Zuniga. I was wondering why you were tagging him, too. Do you have some tweets regarding Zuniga’s performance today? 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Would love to see a tweet detailing Darnold pulling the offense aside and screaming at them for sucking. Presuming instead we’ll get the Cali-bro mushmouth “Yeah, we definitely have to clean some things up, you know?” 

So you like the Jamal Adams approach after all! 

Have you ever played team sports?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

The kind of plays that have driven me nuts with Darnold.  In year three, he needs to eliminate stupid throws such as this.   Or, we can add him to the Jet QB scrap heap.

Yup. There are literally plays where in my head I'm thinking live to fight another day, just throw it way and he forces something. Needs to have better situational awareness. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

If bell isnt  getting 15-25 carries a game where wasting his talent and the money where paying him. 

we aint coiming back in games we're behind w/ 3./2 ypc

5 hours ago, jbt said:

if the Oline protects, Gase makes a good game plan (I heard he is an offensive genius) and Sam plays like a franchise QB, even with injuries the offense with Crowder, Hogan, Bell, Herndon, Gore, Perrine, Wesco and Griffin should be able to move the ball and score points.  if you add in a as a deep threat a healthy Perriman and Mims maybe they can surprise (a lot needs to go right which I know is not ideal)

looks like Sams relaibility is stricly under 25 yds. the above is reasonable, imho

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

missing wide open guy deep, backfoot INT.    sigh. we can;t get too excited either way about preseason practices but...

the flaws we know about still rearing their ugly heads

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Boyer spoke speicfically about this in a short vid w/ E Allen, 1st guy down and beats first blocker

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

north south runner. HOFer.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Might be time to re-evaluate who's starting and who's backing up. 

all day long. 

4 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

And it doesn't sound like Bell was out there much, if at all,  either.

how great would it be if Bell did his knee today? after all that pre-season consitioning ( ie   he was outta shape last year)

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

The kind of plays that have driven me nuts with Darnold.  In year three, he needs to eliminate stupid throws such as this.   Or, we can add him to the Jet QB scrap heap.

last year v Miami on goal to go INT...   the play was blwon up just throw it away....  instead he holds onto it and shot puts it for a INT

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Again, i think douglas will try and trade bell as soon as the season starts to slip away.  And i don’t think overusing bell as a rb is even the best strategy for the jets.  They’re going to need him more as a wr.

i'd love to see him traded. the IDEA for Bell looks shimy on the outside. WR? Last year he was POSSIBLY the slowest RB in the NFL. As an WR he will be UNDENIABLY THE SLOWEST WR.  

2 hours ago, NamathToCaster said:

Keep an eye on James "coming for your job Sam" Morgan. 

Mentionedi t once before, our 4th rnd version of Kurt Warner???

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I really think we should bring in Emmett Smith for a look.  It can't hurt, right?

Speaking of washed up superstars... I saw a youtube of a 100 yard dash from an old '70's episode of the Superstars the other day.  My Dad's favorite, Don Maynard, was in it.  I wanted to see how fast the old goat ran.  He looked like he never lifted a weight in his life.  Greg Pruitt romped over everybody.  Maynard finished behind Dave Casper and Steve Garvey but beat Ron Cey.  Bill Bergey managed to chug passed him by 3 hundreths at the finish.  I was disappointed, but I looked it up and he was well into his forties and 10-15 years older than anybody else in the competition.  He probably just went for the free trip.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Could you imagine if after all these years James Morgan turns out to be the answer? The 4th rounder nobody wanted. 

This is my 41st year of season tix. At this point me, and everybody else on this site, could give a rat's ass who the QB is who gets us to the promised land. ?