Jets chaos grows as McDougald,Williamson question practice habits

joewilly12

Jets’ chaos grows as Bradley McDougald, Avery Williamson question practice habits

September 23, 2020 | 2:43pm | Updated 

Another day, another crisis for the Jets.

Not only has Gang Green started the season off 0-2 and looking like the worst team in the NFL in the process, it now has players openly questioning the way the team is practicing.

“It all goes back to practice,” safety Bradley McDougald told SNY after Sunday’s 31-13 loss to the 49ers. “We’ve had some slow practices and it correlates to the game. We need to have a complete, full week of just great practices. I don’t think we’ve had that yet. As soon as we realize that and hone on in to how important practice is and come out and win at practice then it will translate to the games on Sunday.”

This was taken as an indictment of head coach Adam Gase and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who has autonomy over the defense and how it practices, but McDougald clarified on Wednesday that he was talking about the players, not the coaches.

“I said we, we as players, we’re the ones that are on the field, we’re the ones that’s going through the plays,” McDougald said Wednesday. “We step on the field on Sundays to play. My comments weren’t pointing the finger at anyone because I feel like this is a collective effort to turn this ship around. I’m not coming for my coaches. Our coaches do a great job preparing us. We’re all in this together.”

During the interview with SNY, McDougald said the Jets need to have a better week of practice than they’ve had.

“We’ve yet to have one complete dominating week in practice,” McDougald said. “Until we can dominate in practice Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday is going to be a toss-up.”

Veteran linebacker Avery Williamson agreed with McDougald during an interview on “Joe and Evan” on WFAN on Tuesday.

“I definitely can agree with him at times; sometimes in practice, guys are missing tackles or we’re not doing things right, we haven’t been as crisp as we should be at times,” Williamson said. “Or starting fast – he’s definitely correct that at times, we don’t start fast at practice. We haven’t the last two weeks, but that’s something we have to fix ourselves, because you can’t come out sluggish in games and expect to win. It’s tough to recover when a team you’re playing is that good.”

Williamson does not speak to the media until Friday, but Gase addressed the players’ comments on Wednesday.

“Nobody said anything during the week,” Gase said. “I felt like we had really good tempo to practice. Sometimes an individual guy, if he wants to change something, we talk about it every week. It’s an open forum. If somebody doesn’t like the way something’s going, we can easily speak up.”

Enlarge Imag

Gase said Williamson texted him Tuesday night to let him know about what he said on the radio.

“He just said that he said something about how they practice on defense,” Gase said. “He said he felt like what he said wasn’t really what was reported. I told him it is what it is.”

The Jets have fallen behind 21-3 in the first half of each of their first two games. They have looked terrible to start games. They had three straight three-and-outs on offense to start the game in Buffalo and then the defense gave up an 80-yard touchdown run on the first play from scrimmage Sunday against the 49ers.

Gase said he was surprised at how they started against the Bills, but felt execution issues were the major problem against the 49ers, not preparation. He said he has liked what he has seen in practice when asked about the players saying it has been sluggish.

“I haven’t necessarily felt that,” Gase said. “When I watch our guys, I feel like guys are flying around. They’re chasing the ball. … Everything is built to get better every day.”

• Upvote 2

No guardrails in place checking if any of these dudes are self starters when building the roster. If you're gonna hire bad coaches, you at least gotta do the due diligence with the personnel. Or you compensate by hiring a Mangini or Judge, which causes media hyperventilation. Cant have a coach just cashing a check and expect the players to give a sh*t. 

• Upvote 1

Uh the article basically says the players aren’t practicing as sharply as they should and they didn’t blame the coaches but themselves. No telling who the slackers are but at least Williamson gave gase some warning about what the article would say.  Before it was manes. Now Costello is throwing gase under the bus. Maybe he needs to go out and eat more.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Two defenders.  Complaining.  To the media.

It's an indictment of Gregg Williams.  You know, your designated head coach in waiting.

SAR I

SAR I - question for you.

Even the top coaches in the league will identify areas of their coaching that they need improvement.

In your opinion what does Gase do well, what does he need to improve?  

2 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

This team is so sh*tty I'd be down with letting you take over for the rest of the year. You seem to be more passionate about the team than Gase

If I were head coach I would forfeit the next few games until my offense is healthy and can compete.  Then I'd roll out the team I thought I had back in August and go win some games.

All we are doing now is risking injury and making their return meaningless.  We'll get Mims, Crowder, Bell, and Perriman back and boom, Sam or Becton will be hurt.  

SAR I

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

SAR I - question for you.

Even the top coaches in the league will identify areas of their coaching that they need improvement.

In your opinion what does Gase do well, what does he need to improve?  

What Gase does well:  I don't know, we've only seen him with a depleted Maccagnan/Idzik roster that's injured.

What Gase needs to improve:  I don't know, we've only seen him with a depleted Maccagnan/Idzik roster that's injured.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Wow did anybody actually read the article? I know there's lots of words and it's long and stuff.

The players were actually defending the coaches and blaming themselves. Nowhere does it say Gase is losing the locker room lol!  Not even close. Try reading.

That came after they made the remarks...not when they made the remarks. Big difference. 

I feel like we've been hearing about this type of stuff since the Rex era.

Eating McDonald's at practice - https://www.silive.com/jets/2010/09/hard_knocks_with_the_jets_episode_4_rex_ryan_loses_his_temper_over_cheeseburger-gate_at_practice.html

Routinely showing up late for practice and meetings - https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/28/todd-bowles-on-jets-2016-discipline-sometimes-youre-late-to-work/

Doing the "bare minimum" - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24314036/jamal-adams-critical-new-york-jets-effort-2017-everybody-wanted-do-bare-minimum

Generally, the complete lack of urgency and accountability at 1JD. This franchise is rotten at its core and it starts at the top. We need new ownership.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

There's a couple of defensive players who are p*ssed off that practice is too chill.

It's weird that Gase in his response to the media report is saying the opposite...no, the practices are at the right tempo, everyone is out there working hard.

Normally I might want to believe him but the team that is turning up on Sundays, looks closer to the one that the two defensive players are describing that the team Gase is describing. One of those players played on the Seahawks and the other on the Titans, both players respected and have a history of legit production with credible football organizations.

It's not just a question of lack of talent, clearly leadership/accountability is absent. 

Is it Williams? Is it Gase?  Is it everything? Let's not pretend it's the gooddamn injuries.

Somewhere in Jetland there is serious bullsh*t being created.

• Upvote 3

I stated before that the team lost confidence in Gase as a coach. This is the by product. Once again I question what does Dowell loggains bring to this team and why is he so important to Gase. It’s quite obvious that this team lacks fire and urgency. I remember early on in the season Sam stated that the offense will be more attacking. Well that has yet to be seen obviously. This game coming up should be a do or die game for Gase. If the team does not show any vast improvement this week Gase should be gone. Greg Williams deserves a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I feel like the fact that its Mcdoug makes what is being said that much worse. Imagine starting a job at a brand new company and within your first month you're already openly communicating how sh*tty it is. I've worked for some horrible organizations in my life and even in those situations it was a few months before I had a real grasp of the extent of the sh*tshow I was working for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Here's the thing, as others have mentioned if you listen to McDougald and Avery's comments live it's very apparent that they were talking about the players and not the coaches. The media took their comments and spun them to try and create the narrative that the two players are creating "chaos" and going against the coaches, which is simply not true. 

BUT, here is my issue with Gase - his response is a total bitch move. This comment is so defensive and cringe-worthy it's ridiculous: “Nobody said anything during the week,” Gase said. “I felt like we had really good tempo to practice. Sometimes an individual guy, if he wants to change something, we talk about it every week. It’s an open forum. If somebody doesn’t like the way something’s going, we can easily speak up.”

Here is what an ACTUAL head coach, and leader, should reply (after he investigated the motives behind the comments) - "Yes, I spoke with McDougald and Avery following their comments and I have to agree that at times we have looked sloppy in practice. I'm happy that these two players are stepping up as veteran leaders and I'm going to actively work with them to help teach our young team how to practice at a consistently high level. I'm optimistic that those good habits will carry over into having more success on game days". 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

What Gase does well:  I don't know, we've only seen him with a depleted Maccagnan/Idzik roster that's injured.

What Gase needs to improve:  I don't know, we've only seen him with a depleted Maccagnan/Idzik roster that's injured.

SAR I

Uhh.....no.

Miami's offense was ranked 24th, 25th, and 31st thanks to Gase's offensive wizardry.  To quote a legitimately great coach - "You are what your record says you are."

Gase is a loser and no amount of verbal masturbation from you or anyone else from the silly squad will change that.

• Upvote 2

A nugget from an Atheltic article sums it up:

With no preseason, the vast majority of NFL teams held scrimmages and increased live-contact drills in training camp to prepare for Week 1. The Giants televised their scrimmage at MetLife Stadium like they would an exhibition game. The Jets, though, were not among those teams. Not once in camp did players tackle to the ground. They held just one full scrimmage (the reserves won by three touchdowns), then one other drive-the-field drill at their own MetLife practice.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

A nugget from an Atheltic article sums it up:

Hey no doubt that their shell shocked by the amount of injuries from last year and immediately in practice this year, guys were going down right away.

This may sound silly and it's just a theory but since there were complaints about the new turf at MetLife, I wonder if the same company supplies the turf at One jets Drive?

The amounts of knees ankles and hammies is absolutely ridiculous. They need to figure out what the f*** is going on

• Upvote 1