Any chance La'Michael Perine takes over the starting role?

JoshAllenSZN

I was here daily during "training camp", such as it was. My Bills hadn't yet started their camp and I was eager for some football news.

I remember reading that Perine looked like the best running back in camp on certain days. I certainly liked him coming out of Florida.

With Bell on the sideline for a bit longer and Gore being solid/dependable but not spectacular, I'm just wondering what the odds are that Perine starts getting more significant snaps, starting this week.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

I was here daily during "training camp", such as it was. My Bills hadn't yet started their camp and I was eager for some football news.

I remember reading that Perine looked like the best running back in camp on certain days. I certainly liked him coming out of Florida.

With Bell on the sideline for a bit longer and Gore being solid/dependable buy not spectacular, I'm just wondering what the odds are that Perine starts getting more significant snaps, starting this week.

Thoughts?

There is no reason he shouldn't, other than the team he plays for.?

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't forget Kallen Ballage and Josh Adams who will also be taking touches away from Perine.

I get complaining about the two AARP members taking touches, but Adams and Ballage are both young and cheap.  They are about as likely to perform as Perine and it is about as beneficial to the team if either can take over.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He says hoping as if he’s not the HC. Also this just reiterates he wants Gore the lead back the whole game, so gotta keep him fresh!

That’s not how I read it. To me it’s more like gase wants gore to have some gas in the tank towards the end of the game when needs a guy who he can count on. Gore is 38. No doubt he’s got a limited rush count per game. They also don’t have a back who can carry 20-25/times per game especially since bell went out.  Maybe Perine can become that bell cow.  It would be very nice if they had a back who can pick up 4-5 yards in the second half.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

That’s not how I read it. To me it’s more like gase wants gore to have some gas in the tank towards the end of the game when needs a guy who he can count on. Gore is 38. No doubt he’s got a limited rush count per game. They also don’t have a back who can carry 20-25/times per game especially since bell went out.  Maybe Perine can become that bell cow.  It would be very nice if they had a back who can pick up 4-5 yards in the second half.

He wants gore to be the lead back but also now realizing, oh maybe I shouldn’t wait until the 2nd half to rotate in another rb. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

With Bell on the sideline for a bit longer and Gore being solid/dependable but not spectacular, I'm just wondering what the odds are that Perine starts getting more significant snaps, starting this week.

Thoughts?

He should but he won't.  Why we wouldn't start the young guy over two fossils who have trouble averaging three yards a carry at this stage of their careers is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

He should but he won't.  Why we wouldn't start the young guy over two fossils who have trouble averaging three yards a carry at this stage of their careers is beyond me.

Because running backs have limited tread on their tires, and we don't want to waste Perrine's tread on a nowhere season.

We paid for Gore and Bell.  I would run them into the ground and move on from both next year.  

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Because maybe the young guy isn't adept at pass blocking and blitz pickups , something lots of young rb's need to improve on at the NFL level . Last thing we need is Sam getting killed because the RB whiffs on a blitz assignment. I'm all for seeing what the young guys can do , but that has to be done wisely especially with Rb's 

• Upvote 1

I liked the little bit I saw of him on Sunday. He was a good player in college and he showed a burst. He's probably hungry too. I'd be for playing him a lot more and see if he could eventually if not sooner take over the starting spot. Let's see if he can hit an open hole a lot quicker than Gore. I'd bet he can. 

46 minutes ago, pointman said:

All Gase knows about football is whathes heard from other people. He's never heard of Perine so he won't play Perine. 

I'm sure Joe Douglas must be thrilled by this.  

If there's a healthy young player on this team, he should be getting as much playing time as possible.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

Thoughts?

Go post on "your Bills" forum. Leave ours, we are not amused. This is a Jet forum, Bills can suck my nuts. Have a good day.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1