Pat Elfein released

ryu79

2 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I know we are in full tank, but how could a team in our position NOT kick the tires here given how poor the interior of our line has been? 

I liked him coming out of college.  Haven't followed his career path with the Vikings although I know he started well his first year or two.  What happened?  Just injuries?

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Interesting.  He was a Center coming out of college I thought.  Then they drafted Bradbury and moved him to Guard.  Then they drafted Cleveland and he's playing well so I guess there's no starting spot for Elfein now but why cut him?  He's a UFA after this season but he's cheap for now.

On the other hand, notice how the Vikings keep drafting OL high and now have a line so good that they can afford to cut him.

And despite mostly sucking at football, they have an excellent running game.

I know this must be confusing to Jet fans...

Interesting to note, Dakota Dozier is essentially his replacement. 

He's been on IR all year with a knee.  He just got activated. They're probably giving him an opportunity to play before he hits FA since Ezra Cleveland took his job when he was injured. It sounds like they're doing him a favor by letting him get an opportunity elsewhere since they're happy with their starting offensive line and depth and don't want to expose any of the interior depth players on the practice squad. 

Omg Yes finally an NFL player released who I'd love to sign. 

I absolutely loved this kid coming out of Ohio State and he earned the Rimington Trophy too; which goes to the NCAA's best Center.

He's only 26 years of age with 43 games (42 starts) under his belt, great size @ 6'3/ 303lbs and a former NFL All-Rookie selection (2017) and can play both Center and Guard position(s). 

Joe Douglas as a former O-Lineman himself MUST sign this Pat Elflein kid!

I'd stick him @ LG right next to Becton and watch these kids maul. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Omg Yes finally an NFL player released who I'd love to sign. 

I absolutely loved this kid coming out of Ohio State and he earned the Rimington Trophy too; which goes to the NCAA's best Center.

He's only 26 years of age with 43 games (42 starts) under his belt, great size @ 6'3/ 303lbs and a former NFL All-Rookie selection (2017) and can play both Center and Guard position(s). 

Joe Douglas as a former O-Lineman himself MUST sign this Pat Elflein kid!

I'd stick him @ LG right next to Becton and watch these kids maul. 

Elflein's base salary for this season is $2 million.  If you were Woody and Chris Johnson, would you pay a million dollars of your money to sign Elflein, an underperforming lineman, who will be FA after the season, during what is a lost season.

As a fan, i said earlier i would sign him; but if it was my money, f**k no. 

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

He's been on IR all year with a knee.  He just got activated. They're probably giving him an opportunity to play before he hits FA since Ezra Cleveland took his job when he was injured. It sounds like they're doing him a favor by letting him get an opportunity elsewhere since they're happy with their starting offensive line and depth and don't want to expose any of the interior depth players on the practice squad. 

He's never had any knee injuries. 

"He suffered a thumb injury in practice and was placed on injured reserve on September 17, 2020".