Pierre Desir Released

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Poor signing by JD, even though it was only a stopgap bandaid. Dude just could not cover.

I'll admit and can't be too hard on JD with this one because I thought as a fan that Desir was going to become really good for us and I was absolutely tricked into falling for the hype and believing that he still had CB ability; due to his lockdown postseason performance against DeAndre Hopkins a couple of years ago. 

We may never find another #24 Darrelle Revis of his prime throughout the draft again, but after Trumaine and now Desir the days of signing 30 year old Free Agent CB's must come to an end. 

Hopefully Bless Austin and Bryce Hall can develop into very good homegrown drafted Jet CB's because both had Round 1 talent before college injuries...

and if not we may need to draft CB's with both of our 3rd round picks this year along with a 2022 1st rounder @ CB too.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

But, what did it cost the Jets in the long run? They took a chance, did not hit, and they can quickly run away from it. No long term implications.

Agree just hope JD can pick and choose better players in free agency and the draft. Thats all.

He seems to have hit on a few of last years draft picks. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Torn here...

Desir helps the tank cause. 

JD's free agent signings have been nothing short of a disaster. 

Yet, JD seems to not care about his mistakes and just moves on quickly.

So torn.

1-year band-aid signings by their very nature rarely work out, so it makes little sense why Douglas gets criticized so heavily on those.  I admit that I thought Desir could at least be a capable CB2, so this was certainly disappointing, but by the very design of the last offseason, it should not be surprising to anyone that his 1-year pickups aren't doing well.

The FA he deserves criticism for are the guys he signed to deals that will keep them here beyond 2020.  Most notably McGovern's, whose downturn in play makes almost no sense.  If that signing ends up a bust, that's a big deal, because he was suppose to be a locked in starter on the IOL in 2021.  Him failing would mean we have to devote even more resources to the OL than we thought we would.

• Upvote 1

We signed Poole (resigned in his case) and Desir for a year.  Poole, now back from his dehydration issues (I still laugh about that one) is playing decently.  Having one of the two FAs work out was probably all you could hope for so ultimately, it's fine that we move on now, give the young guys more time to develop, and hopefully figure out that Poole is worth keeping around.  We're still thin at CB but without Poole, we'd be downright anorexic.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We signed Poole (resigned in his case) and Desir for a year.  Poole, now back from his dehydration issues (I still laugh about that one) is playing decently.  Having one of the two FAs work out was probably all you could hope for so ultimately, it's fine that we move on now, give the young guys more time to develop, and hopefully figure out that Poole is worth keeping around.  We're still thin at CB but without Poole, we'd be downright anorexic.

Poole just got put on IR.

We're going young at CB. 

Let's go Bryce Hall.