Really thoughtful article on Gase's tenure

nycdan

It has been well known that Gase has his brilliant scheme and doesn't adjust for the players he has or the opponent he faces. 

He has presided over the worst offenses in the league for several years for a reason. 

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

Here’s my issue. There was a lot of pretty obvious stuff to criticize about Gase’s scheme and play calls, but you’d never hear any objective analysis as to why it was bad on the NFL telecasts or NFL network or even ESPN. Just local or independent sports media. Has the NFL banned criticism of its coaches? 

No. If they wanted to, they don't need to. The announcers are people who were players/coaches/etc. They know these people or people who worked with them. The 'pop' they'd get by just trashing them would never be worth the social price they'd pay and since much of their work requires their social standing in those circles, why would they attack acquaintances?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Here’s my issue. There was a lot of pretty obvious stuff to criticize about Gase’s scheme and play calls, but you’d never hear any objective analysis as to why it was bad on the NFL telecasts or NFL network or even ESPN. Just local or independent sports media. Has the NFL banned criticism of its coaches? 

Yes. Ever since spygate.

• Upvote 2

Indeed. 

I can't see how they get it as bad again. I don't see any of the potential candidates being the guaranteed f*ck ups Gase was. Even some of the more uninspiring names are so much more accomplished than this goof.

He should have been fired after his opening presser. Seriously.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It does not have to be an attack. It could be an objective analysis as to why the scheme and calls are unproductive. They began to touch on it in his final 3 games, but ignored it prior to that. It ruins the credibility of the broadcast. Baseball announcers critically examine decisions all season long. Why can’t football do the same?

Just my opinion but I feel like baseball broadcasters are different. They are part of the team , the same crew basically does all the games, there knowledge of the team and season of the team come from mostly there own eyes, where as the NFL each week a different broadcasting team does the game they get there in fo from the “meetings” with the coaches and/or players the week of the game. Can’t have a frosty relationship cause then there will be nothing to blab away about during the telecast. I guess the radio guys could don’t know if they do haven’t listen to a game in the radio in a while but I would imagine they are a lot more critical than the CBS crew doing the game 

I’m no expert on nfl plays but from what I’ve read, the jets receivers were frequently open and darnold would either throw to the wrong guy or throw late.  To me this means the plays are sound. It’s the execution that needs to be improved. Just what coach doesn’t want his plays executed? The answer is none. The problem with the jets is more about the personnel who are supposed to execute the plays.  There’s just about no way any coach , living or dead, would have been able to squeeze much more out of this group.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It does not have to be an attack. It could be an objective analysis as to why the scheme and calls are unproductive. They began to touch on it in his final 3 games, but ignored it prior to that. It ruins the credibility of the broadcast. Baseball announcers critically examine decisions all season long. Why can’t football do the same?

I just think they're lazy.

It happened the last 3 weeks probably because someone read something three weeks ago and mentioned it and the rest followed.

• Upvote 1

They started talking about the lack of motion in the offense. The only guy that moves is the slot (Crowder), and he seemed like the only guy that got open immediately & pretty much Darnolds 1st & last read. Frustrating as hell. What we did find out is Darnold has tunnel vision & cant see the field at all! LBs & Safeties seemed to always be able to read him & he'd never see them. Forget his picks, think about how many were dropped this year in every game! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ummm... Yeah.  Outside of Romo who gets paid too much to actually be the one person who tells you what he sees...  It's the standard snowjob during games.  They'll usually focus on a player who's having a bad game "Oh Sam is throwing off his back food!  His back foot!  See!  That's the problem right there."  Collinsworth actually had the balls to call out Pederson for pulling Jalen Hurts and saying what everybody was thinking.  And of course is getting push back from the league for doing so.  In a way, I don't understand what the league has to fear.  Have they checked the top 20 yearly TV ratings?  They are absolutely smashing the NBA right now.  Al Michaels could say that Bill Belicheck was a member of Al Queda and it wouldn't effect their numbers at all.  It's just a lot of rich, stuff shirt guys getting upset when somebody criticizes their product.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

would gamble that that is how it was done in Denver when Manning was there.

but...   you had good players and a HOF QB.

No, they just ran Peyton’s offense. He made the calls at the line mostly. Gase without Manning is like an orchestra conductor without arms.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

This is a really good article.  One that he is absolutely right about is the terrible trend of hiring young, inexperienced OCs solely because of the overvaluing of what your new QB does.  It's a terrible working model for a team.  And i think it's hurting the NFL in general.  Because a lot of coordinators are coming up that aren't OC's whose careers aren't going the right way.  If you're on the defensive side of the ball there is this bias that offensive coaches are better candidates than you.  When if you look at the nuts and bolts of administrating a team... ahhh, it's absolutely not.

Dan Orlovsky on twitter would rant about Gase's lack of motion and out of date playbook.   But he was always a Sam Darnold Defender so it was hard to take seriously.

• Upvote 2

Not true at all, there were at least 5 game broadcasts this season where  the commentators mentioned Gases’ lack of adjustments, lack of any type of plays that fit his Qb or teams strengths. Not planning into his teams strengths.  Jay Feely was all over this during the season finale. 

• Upvote 1

As I've thought about the article, I'm not sure I agree that Peyton didn't use a lot of pre-snap motion. As I recall, he'd normally get the O to the line with plenty of time on the play clock, bark some calls, point at people and more often than not put at least one guy in motion. If I'm correct, I'm sure that was all Peyton and had zero to do with Gase and his scheme and play calls.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, fastmover said:

Not true at all, there were at least 5 game broadcasts this season where  the commentators mentioned Gases’ lack of adjustments, lack of any type of plays that fit his Qb or teams strengths. Not planning into his teams strengths.  Jay Feely was all over this during the season finale. 

Well.  I hate to say this... you can harass the Jets as much as you want and do little to invoke the wraith of the league.  We are the Bad News Bears of pro football.  And once those narratives are even running on the NFL Network.  No way it wouldn't come out in our prime time games.

9 hours ago, pointman said:

Gase runs an elementary playbook that rival must peewee league teams. No creativity, nothing to throw the defense off. 

So ... when it was said that Gase was coaching where football was going, they meant PEEWEE football.

Small but significant detail. :D  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I’m no expert on nfl plays but from what I’ve read, the jets receivers were frequently open and darnold would either throw to the wrong guy or throw late.  To me this means the plays are sound. It’s the execution that needs to be improved. Just what coach doesn’t want his plays executed? The answer is none. The problem with the jets is more about the personnel who are supposed to execute the plays.  There’s just about no way any coach , living or dead, would have been able to squeeze much more out of this group.

Hmmmmmmm I don’t get it.......this would make a modicum of sense if the same PROBLEMS didn’t occur in Miami!

You are joking right no presnap motion is done why precisely?

Favoring old players rather than developing younger players was done with predictable play calling why precisely?

Not using RA other than for essentially Go routes is done why precisely?

Saying he was going to emulate the same formula that FAILED in Miami and got him literally fired there was done why precisely?

There is no doubt that Sam Darnold maybe a total bum but no sane person can explain why the Jets offense was much better under Jeremy Bates than under Guru Gase.....

Want more obvious stuff, the Jets are the only team in the NFL that I know of without a true QB coach why precisely?  This last one was being done with Darnold regressing right before their eyes?

Look the Jets looked as poorly under Adam Gase as anytime in my lifetime and that includes Rich Kotite!

To essentially say that Gase’s incompetence is because the players didn’t execute his brilliance is simply mind boggling to me!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

There's a whole lot more.  He cites this tweet by Sage Rosenfels:

I find it amusing that this is everybody's complaint.  Most of the people groaning about Brian Schottenheimer were complaining about why he constantly was moving poor Tony Richardson in motion before every play.  He did it and the board hated it. 

The learn three plays well thing is what Sparano brought in to replace Schottenehimer.  That stupid "know and know you know" motto meant that you should know the entire play and be confident.  That is supposed to let you play fast instead of thinking.  Simplifying the offense 

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Great article..

Completely accurate.  

And very sad to understand how bad CJ was at his job.

Honestly, as bad as Woody was - it's nothing compared to Chris.

Another thing that hChas morphed over the years.  I remember when Woody was the evil and Chris was the savior.  Nothing could be worse than Woody. "Stay over there for another decade."  Now we want to blame Chris?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I find it amusing that this is everybody's complaint.  Most of the people groaning about Brian Schottenheimer were complaining about why he constantly was moving poor Tony Richardson in motion before every play.  He did it and the board hated it. 

The learn three plays well thing is what Sparano brought in to replace Schottenehimer.  That stupid "know and know you know" motto meant that you should know the entire play and be confident.  That is supposed to let you play fast instead of thinking.  Simplifying the offense 

Another thing that hChas morphed over the years.  I remember when Woody was the evil and Chris was the savior.  Nothing could be worse than Woody. "Stay over there for another decade."  Now we want to blame Chris?

You're speaking in mass Generalizations...

Gase's offense works for the right person - obviously a good fit for Manning.  The concept isn't the problem it's his inability to adapt the system to better suit his young QB.   I think that was the point.

As for WJ - I certainly wasn't one of those people - while Woody had a penchant for focusing too much on PR and made some poor choices because of it - The Jets record under Woody was respectable (for Jet world) with a handful of playoff wins over the years.   The team had somewhat of a plan and executed well.  Just could never find that elusive QB. 

Chris on the other hand seems to be a very nice guy, that seemingly wants to win but is totally lost - and in waaaay over his head.  If he truly does hand over the reigns to JD (as is being reported)  at least he's learned and knows enough to know what he doesn't know.  I would be impressed...

• Upvote 1