Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

38 minutes ago, prime21 said:

This reminds me of the time that it Steve Kerr was going to be the Knicks coach and we waited and waited for the official word that never came.   

When things appear to drag on then I would imagine its about the financials.    Get it done. Don't penny pinch and then have to pivot to someone else and act like they were the 1st choice..

Never understood penny pinching when it comes to the head coach. These owners are billionaires with billion dollar franchises. The difference between 4 and 7 million a year is like three dollars for these guys, especially considering that’s the salary for an average NFL player. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This is taking too long. We screwed something up I'm sure. 

The longer it takes the better.  If we would have screwed something up, like stale frosting on the cupcakes, he would be gone by now.

It takes time to negotiate.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This is taking too long. We screwed something up I'm sure. 

Not necessarily he could be verifying a coaching staff, buying a suit, thanking his old coaches and canceling future interviews.

U got to remember the Johnsons live on rich people time. They could be flying over the city in a helicopter right now Eating sushi

• Haha 2

At moments like this, we kind of have to realize we all hardly help the situation either.  They are in the midst of their very first of what was always reported as multiple second round interviews, and there are already meltdowns happening about how horrible the Jets must be if they don't refuse to meet with any of the other candidates, without any knowledge whatsoever of whether Saleh was even who they felt to be their top guy after the first rounds.

For all the monstrously stupid things this team does, you really wouldn't think there'd be a need to put in so much effort to invent any new reasons for them to piss us all off.  I feel fairly confident they'll find a way to do that all on their own.

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Never understood penny pinching when it comes to the head coach. These owners are billionaires with billion dollar franchises. The difference between 4 and 7 million a year is like the three dollars for these guys, especially considering that’s the salary for an average NFL player. 

Not defending the Johnsons here but they have had to pay 2x HCs and 2x GMs at the same time for many years now. They are probably in top 3 paid for these positions last 10 years lol.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

At moments like this, we kind of have to realize we all hardly helps the situation either.  They are in the midst of their very first of what was always reported as multiple second round interviews, and there are already meltdowns happening about how horrible the Jets must be if they don't refuse to meet with any of the other candidates, without any knowledge whatsoever of whether Saleh was even who they felt to be their top guy after the first rounds.

For all the monstrously stupid things this team does, you really wouldn't think there'd be a need to put in so much effort to invent any new reasons for them to piss us all off.  I feel fairly confident they'll find a way to do that all on their own.

image.gif.1f247b6955ecae230bd615facc332fd4.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Not defending the Johnsons here but they have had to pay 2x HCs and 2x GMs at the same time for many years now. They are probably in top 3 paid for these positions last 10 years lol.

All the more motivation to stop being idiots! Go, Johnsons, you can do it!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

All the more motivation to stop being idiots! Go, Johnsons, you can do it!

Yup many of us have been saying it for years -- stop being penny wise/pound foolish, pay legitimate candidates for these important roles and you'll be out the same or less money than paying 2 losers at the same time for the same job.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The longer it takes the better.  If we would have screwed something up, like stale frosting on the cupcakes, he would be gone by now.

It takes time to negotiate.

Agree.

I do think this gets done this afternoon. He was supposed to meet in FL this afternoon with the Eagles. He is not going to call Laurie and tell him I will be there late or tomorrow because we are still negotiating with the Jets. He would have left by now.  

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

anyone else curious why he didn't get a second interview with the other 4 teams he interviewed with?  i suppose every team has it's own ideals for what they're looking for in their head coach.

Who's to say he wouldn't have?   A lot of teams are still on their first round, or waiting for play off guys.  Seems like the Jets knew who they wanted going in, had a good interview with him, were aggressive and got the first face to face with him.

To me that's a good thing not screwing around and waiting to see what other teams were going to do, and losing him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Update 4: Siciliano on NFL Network just said the Jets are close to hiring Robert Saleh. He also said we're not going to be talking about any head coaches this hour and then Ian Rapoport and Mike Garofalo both smirked. So I think they know what's up they just can't announce until it's done

did you rewind and then play their expressions in slow mo??  LOL  Just messing with you

• Haha 1