Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

12 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

At moments like this, we kind of have to realize we all hardly helps the situation either.  They are in the midst of their very first of what was always reported as multiple second round interviews, and there are already meltdowns happening about how horrible the Jets must be if they don't refuse to meet with any of the other candidates, without any knowledge whatsoever of whether Saleh was even who they felt to be their top guy after the first rounds.

For all the monstrously stupid things this team does, you really wouldn't think there'd be a need to put in so much effort to invent any new reasons for them to piss us all off.  I feel fairly confident they'll find a way to do that all on their own.

This makes sense in a world where you didn't have to worry about another team snatching up the guy you want.

IMO I think the Jets had their first round of interviews, put the candidates they wanted in order and started the second round of interviews with the top candidate. Since other teams are in the hunt as well it makes total sense to handle it this way. The Jets Want Saleh but if the talks crumble they will move to candidate # 2 and so on.

If Saleh totally impresses them, negotiations already started, hence the long wait and it would be foolish to let him leave the building. Since his meeting today was with Johnson they have to be talking money and how the staff will be hired I can't think of any other reason this would take the better part of a night and most of the next day if this was not heading in that direction.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

did you rewind and then play their expressions in slow mo??  LOL  Just messing with you

No I just have some stupid disorder and I can't get in the shower yet cuz I'm afraid I'm going to miss the news. it's a silly thing that got worse as I got older. V8 splash tropical blend and vodka seem to help..

enabling me to keep watching TV and not get in the shower lmfao!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

No I just have some stupid disorder and I can't get in the shower yet cuz I'm afraid I'm going to miss the news. it's a silly thing that got worse as I got older. V8 splash tropical blend and vodka seem to help..

enabling me to keep watching TV and not get in the shower lmfao!

Really not much that they don't help.?

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This makes sense in a world where you didn't have to worry about another team snatching up the guy you want.

IMO I think the Jets had their first round of interviews, put the candidates they wanted in order and started the second round of interviews with the top candidate. Since other teams are in the hunt as well it makes total sense to handle it this way. The Jets Want Saleh but if the talks crumble they will move to candidate # 2 and so on.

If Saleh totally impresses them, negotiations already started, hence the long wait and it would be foolish to let him leave the building. Since his meeting today was with Johnson they have to be talking money and how the staff will be hired I can't think of any other reason this would take the better part of a night and most of the next day if this was not heading in that direction.

I can get that, in theory, if everything being hypothesized here is actually true.  However, it's been made abundantly clear that everything here is just a series of best guesses (even from the media folks talking about this).  Let's not forget, it was just yesterday there were hours of reports about the ongoing meetings with the Jets, when it turned out he hadn't even flown in yet.  A lot of this is questionable to say the least and based on assumptions, so while I'll have no issue if this announcement gets made, as I always though Saleh was a good candidate, I'm also not getting the meltdown if that doesn't happen either.

If it turns out Arthur Smith was actually their top candidate, but they simply couldn't get him in as soon as Saleh, I'm not sure a panic hire of someone else is the correct response.  I'll freely admit that's of course pure conjecture, but so are the freak-outs that have already begun about the lack of an announcement on Saleh.

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Agreed I said something similar a little while ago. They have a lot to talk about. It's not only about X's and O's it's his connections, assistant coaches? Don't think he's out schools in the area for his wife and kids he needs a house to live in Etc. There's a lot involved man he's got to fly his family here and move his entire life across the country.

If you read between the lines you've always heard how gracious the Johnsons are and how great the people are in the organization. I think they want you to feel at home and they want to get along with you I don't think it's just a job hire, I think they really try to woo you. Remember when they were courting Brett Favre? They drove him into the damn woods and said I own these three hundred acres you can hunt here whenever you want lol

Odds: what sports quote will Chris Johnson repeat/paraphrase at the Saleh intro press conference?

• "Can't wait!" Bart Scott (1-1)
  •  "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" Gretzky (5-1)
  • "If you aren't going all the way, why go at all?" Joe Willie (8-1)
  • “Leadership, like coaching, is fighting for the hearts and souls of men and getting them to believe in you.” Eddie Robinson (20-1)
  • “To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail." Michael Jordan (40-1)
  • "It's deja vu all over again" Yogi (100-1)
  • "What time is it?" Geno Smith (-1)

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Odds: what sports quote will Chris Johnson repeat at the Saleh intro press conference?

• “Leadership, like coaching, is fighting for the hearts and souls of men and getting them to believe in you.” Eddie Robinson (20-1)

“coaching to where football is going”

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Sources say holdup is because Robert Saleh is  locked in the  men's bathroom at One Jets Drive.  Maintenance is currently taking the door off the hinges.  

Saleh looks like the type of guy that doesn't need anyone to take the door of the hinges for him.  He'll take care of that himself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Exactly. The Jet organization needs to exude professionalism.... not rushing to announce news for the sake of the prss corp. Let the Saleh family have a few days to breathe prior to the onslaught of interview requests. Let them notify the 49ers organization before the news hits out of respect so they can address their fan base with a press release.

Also allows you time to get your coordinators lined up so that when the news is released you have all YOUR DUCKS LINED UP.

Plus Jets intern needs time to put together a short list of sports quotes so Chris can try to sound like an everyman at the intro press conference.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ganggreen305 said:

Saleh looks like the type of guy that doesn't need anyone to take the door of the hinges for him.  He'll take care of that himself.

Depends on what he had for lunch

Just now, Xtina said:

My husband just found a picture of her as a six year old. They used to go to the same summer camp in PA 

And it was 12 years ago

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Odds: what sports quote will Chris Johnson repeat/paraphrase at the Saleh intro press conference?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Let wrap this up and get a jump start on filling out the coaching staff while other teams haven't even hired their GM yet. I wonder how the fans of the other teams feel. lol

Pats fans are angry. That’s a good sign.

Most are saying it’s a solid hire.

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Update 4: Siciliano on NFL Network just said the Jets are close to hiring Robert Saleh. He also said we're not going to be talking about any head coaches this hour and then Ian Rapoport and Mike Garofalo both smirked. So I think they know what's up they just can't announce until it's done

Was it a smirk.....or a grin?

BIG difference.

We need to know.

Smirk or grin?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

He had me at hello. And he said YES. Everyone else said NO. He said YES.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Idzik was horrible but at least he had a plan with merit. Mac seemed to just be completely lost and rudderless.

Imagine if Gase was the coach when Idzik was GM? I picture some poor cleaning woman mopping the floors at a darkened one jets drive at 2 am on Halloween and she turns a corner and comes face to face with those two. Eek!

• Sympathy 1