Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)

Rhg1084

46 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Millen has been fired from every job he’s had since his playing career ended. 
Seeking to be relevant again. He has no connections to Houston unless Casserly  has been drinking again. 

Those damn r's like so much like the letter n.

:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Bryce Hall and Mims are starters - Davis will be a starter too. Lots of injuries in a year with no pre-season and mini camps, etc. We did very well. Plus, we'll have a first rounder like most teams. 

Mimms was early second round....i said 3rd. Not to sure Hall starts next year with a healthy roster. Davis was trash. Why do you feel he can start

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So Salguero has no sources.

Neither does Matt Miller though.

That's the beauty of stories like these.  No one from the Watson camp would ever actually come out and confirm any of this one way or another.

So from Salguero's side, if he gets traded and it's to the Jets(which would have been one of the few reasonable destinations to begin with) then he looks great when he likely never knew to begin with.

From Matt Miller's side, just say the opposite, because it's still probably the most likely be doesn't get traded to begin with.  You can always say "things changed" or whatever down the road as needed.

These are the type of " rumors" that are easy to make up, because there will never be any confirmation one way or another.

/thread 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So Salguero has no sources.

Neither does Matt Miller though.

That's the beauty of stories like these.  No one from the Watson camp would ever actually come out and confirm any of this one way or another.

So from Salguero's side, if he gets traded and it's to the Jets(which would have been one of the few reasonable destinations to begin with) then he looks great when he likely never knew to begin with.

From Matt Miller's side, just say the opposite, because it's still probably the most likely be doesn't get traded to begin with.  You can always say "things changed" or whatever down the road as needed.

These are the type of " rumors" that are easy to make up, because there will never be any confirmation one way or another.

Not to mention DW and his agent as are waiting on the HC thing to play out. Too many moving parts right now for any real traction to these rumours 

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

you do understand that his contract is north of 100 million right ??

I get why you would be concerned, but I am sick of trying an failing at picking QBs in the draft. And even if Fields ends up being as good as Watson, you need 2-3 years for him to develop, and then you’re in a similar situation where you need to pay him that ransom anyway. It’s the current going rate for QBs, and I for one am not willing to let a proven player like this go, even for that price. Plus they have other draft capital that can be used to build around him, and will likely have an additional 5-10 spot pick next year based on record

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, BigB said:

Texans in a tight spot, I would give them pick #23, 1st round pick next year and Sam Darnold. Take it or leave it.

That's about where I am.

There is no way I'm trading the #2 overall pick in an NFL Draft unless it's the only 1st I'm giving up.  The #2 this year, a 2nd this year, a 2nd next year and Sam Darnold.   Or move off the #2 and we go with the #23 this year, a 1st next year and maybe a 1st or 2nd in '23.

In my mind the #2 this year is essentially worth two or more average 1st round picks.  You're getting to pick any player in all of college football except Trevor Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Highest paid endorsers are Mahomes and Rodgers both play for the smallest media markets in the league. Sure you can get a couple more car dealership opening gigs in NY/NJ but the big money is in national commercials and if you are a stud anywhere, you’ll get them.

Why doesn’t he get them now?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's about where I am.

There is no way I'm trading the #2 overall pick in an NFL Draft unless it's the only 1st I'm giving up.  The #2 this year, a 2nd this year, a 2nd next year and Sam Darnold.   Or move off the #2 and we go with the #23 this year, a 1st next year and maybe a 1st or 2nd in '23.

In my mind the #2 this year is essentially worth two or more average 1st round picks.  You're getting to pick any player in all of college football except Trevor Lawrence.

100% correct.

• Upvote 1

If Watson has a No Trade clause and he's saying he wants to go to the NYJ, then that gives JD some leverage.

Given how JD seems to value both draft picks and Cap space, I'm ready to watch him levitate to being the greatest GM in Jets history by committing highway robbery on the Texans.

Make it happen Joey!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Highest paid endorsers are Mahomes and Rodgers both play for the smallest media markets in the league. Sure you can get a couple more car dealership opening gigs in NY/NJ but the big money is in national commercials and if you are a stud anywhere, you’ll get them.

Either Rodgers or Mahomes play in NY and they are making even more money on endorsements. Watson comes here and somehow the Jets become a top 5 team or win a SB, and the amount of money he makes outside of football salary blows those other 2 guys out of the water. The fact that Watson is a great human being on top of all world talent even furthers this. A case can be made for an increase in revenue potential outweighing the nj tax burden for his salary. I'm no tax expert, but he could have his residence in a tax haven state, and then only his football salary is taxable to NJ, and further I think maybe only his home games, but not sure about that.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, football guy said:

His reps don't seriously think he's being traded. They're blowing a lot of smoke hoping the team changes their mind and decides to get bold. At that point, they'll seriously evaluate their options. Jets have been in the news due to Sherman's tweet. Sure he'd like that better than HOU. He'd like Miami too I'm sure. But if push came to shove its hard to see why he wouldn't choose the 49ers or Panthers. Those would also be far more likely destinations unless the Jets were willing to part with 5 1st round picks

100% ...easily the most realistic/reasonable assessment of this situation 

6 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

Either Rodgers or Mahomes play in NY and they are making even more money on endorsements. Watson comes here and somehow the Jets become a top 5 team or win a SB, and the amount of money he makes outside of football salary blows those other 2 guys out of the water. The fact that Watson is a great human being on top of all world talent even furthers this. A case can be made for an increase in revenue potential outweighing the nj tax burden for his salary. I'm no tax expert, but he could have his residence in a tax haven state, and then only his football salary is taxable to NJ, and further I think maybe only his home games, but not sure about that.

RELEASE THE XLS !!!!  :)

I agree with this. The endorsements would be bigger if he comes here and wins. More than that he would own the world.

If they get this right, whoever gets it right with the Jets, their kids, kids, kids, kids will be celebrities as a result.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

His reps don't seriously think he's being traded. They're blowing a lot of smoke hoping the team changes their mind and decides to get bold. At that point, they'll seriously evaluate their options. Jets have been in the news due to Sherman's tweet. Sure he'd like that better than HOU. He'd like Miami too I'm sure. But if push came to shove its hard to see why he wouldn't choose the 49ers or Panthers. Those would also be far more likely destinations unless the Jets were willing to part with 5 1st round picks

Oh I completely agree.  I just wanted to throw it out there that nothing I’ve heard is “No, I won’t go here/there”, so yeah, I guess if we offered a treasure trove (not likely if I were a betting man) to Houston he’d come along.

That said, my gut is firmly in the “this is all posturing to get what he wants” camp.  Miller (or anyone for that matter, so we’ll throw Armando and his report in there as well) putting out there that there is a “yes and no” list is silly.  I don’t believe it has actually gotten to the point where he needs to make that list...yet.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Oh I completely agree.  I just wanted to throw it out there that nothing I’ve heard is “No, I won’t go here/there”, so yeah, I guess if we offered a treasure trove to Houston he’d come along.

That said, my gut is firmly in the “this is all posturing to get what he wants” camp.  Miller (or anyone for that matter, so we’ll throw Armando and his report in there as well) putting out there that there is a “yes and no” list is silly.  It hasn’t gotten to the point where he needs to make that list...yet.

Well said. There’s still so much that has to play out in HOU, starting with putting together a staff. Nobody has more pull that Watson and I’d bet that at the end of the day they’ll come together on something that unites these parties. 

if you’re HOU have to do whatever you reasonably can to keep the face of your franchise in town 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yup.  Couldn’t have said it better myself.  I don’t think people are truly thinking how badly things would have to get for Houston to willingly trade a (as of today) top 3 QB who is only 25 years old.

It’s, honestly, not fathomable.

Totally. And considering they essentially gave away Hopkins - which you have to think figure left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth - they’ll be sure to explore every possible angle to making this work for DW and the Texans 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

For what exactly?  It's not obvious to me.

what i think has happened is this.

Houston has been fielding all type of trade offers from Watson. but since they need his approval they bring a list of teams who made them the best offer.

and Miami who i believe is his favorite team wasn't on the list. so how does Watson get Miami to up there offer? they start rumors how he likes the Jets, but still would go to Miami. but the Jets are #1. that tells me the we have the best offer. JD probably offered up 3 1s and one of then is the 2nd pick. maybe Miami doesn't want to add the 3rd pick in the draft.

so Miami has 2 options

1. do nothing and watch him go to there divison rival and play him twice a year

or

2. make a better trade offer so Houston can accept it.

i said this from the start. there is no way he comes to a 2-14 team when there are teams out there that are a Watson QB away from next years SB. 

and don't you think he wants to start playing in the playoffs. winning some rings? well that's going to take a while if he comes here. especially with the loss of those #1 draft picks

look at our roster. JD has to hit on most of those FA signing. and hes not going to go for all the top guys. too many holes to fill. and some of those mid FA are going to disappoint us. there's always a few.

then there's the draft. JD has to hit on some mid rds guys. hes not going to have a 1st rd pick this year and wont have one or none next year. that's a lot of uncertainty. between us and Miami, they have a better roster so they wont be hurt as much with the loss of those #1s. we will.

i will take the abuse happily if I'm wrong. i would love to see Watson here.

but i still believe all this Jet talk is to put a flame under Miami's ass to make a serious offer.

hes not coming here