Who should the Jets sign to backup Zach Wilson?

Morgan was definitely a developmental pick who seems like he might be good as a backup and/or running the scout team with some work. He has experience with a couple different offensive schemes but seems like he would need a lot of work to even get a chance to compete for a starting role. 

I can understand the logic of taking a fourth round QB as a developmental pick but not in 2020. The team had a ton of urgent holes and who was he going to rely on to develop Morgan--Gase and Loggains? If JD planned on the team having a new coaching staff then why not wait to make developmental picks until you have the guys responsible for development come on board? 

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Its kind joke that no viable starting qb is on the roster.  If Zippy gets hurt or isn't prepared and we roll out Cpt Morgan it will make the Brooks Bollinger era look like the glory days.

The Brooks Bollinger era consisted of two seasons.  His first year they were Doug Brien/Herm Edwards from the AFC title game.  The year after he left they made the playoffs again.  Compared to the last decade that was the glory days.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's kinda a tiny problem with that logic: there are a few other guys on the team.

It's just possible 40 other guys suiting up might not want to risk permanent injury for Morgan to have tryouts against other teams. Also it's a pretty young team, and it's also possible the coaches & FO might want to better assess what else they've got & what they need after this season, instead of grading others too much or too little on a curve to account for Morgan. Just throwing that out there.

They don't need to put Morgan on the field in regular games just because you & other the fans didn't get to see him in practice like the coaches did.

The Jets aren't tanking for draft slots just because Wilson isn't ready to play week 1, or even if he gets injured. They got their high pick QB, and should be trying to play as well as they can so they're all ready when Wilson does take the field. Never mind what if he's maybe not ready by week 1 but then has calmed down & looks ready to go by week 4 -- the team should dig itself into an 0-4 hole behind Morgan's tryouts?

Humans aren't robots or on/off light switches, with the idea that it's ok for everyone to get used to playing like garbage because no one cares or is trying with the backup QB; but then all that is expected to instantly change with the flip of a switch once Wilson is the QB. 

If they don't think Morgan is passable (;)), even for a few games, then they should sign another QB2. Particularly a young roster, with a staff of coaches not just in the first year with this team but in the first year under their current job titles.

A team of such young players & coaches performing well has value beyond whether or not they're contenders. 

Spot on post.  

One of the biggest reasons for FA players not coming to the NYJ is a losing culture.  Saleh-CS are all about changing that.  Win...and they will come.

You can play around with tanking strategies in video games.  But not with the lively hoods of 52 other players on the roster.  Many have family responsibilities.  Win and you might hang on to your job.  Have a shot at getting a raise with a new contract.  Lose...you can get cut...end up playing for the veteran minimum.  Or worse...like finding a new line of work.  

If Zach Wilson needs to be replaced for whatever reason.  Jets still need to show the league that JD-Saleh have prepared the NYJ with a viable next man up at the QB position...that can give Jets a chance to win. 

For me...this season is about the 3 C's...

Culture...Chemistry...Competitiveness.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

No one.

Counter Question:  Why do the Jets "need" to sign someone to backup Wilson?

because there is absolutely no experience on the team at the QB position.

And this guy really doesn't inspire much hope either

yeppers.jpg

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Brooks Bollinger era consisted of two seasons.  His first year they were Doug Brien/Herm Edwards from the AFC title game.  The year after he left they made the playoffs again.  Compared to the last decade that was the glory days.

I'm referring to when Brooks actually played after Chad and Fiedler went down.  It wasn't good.  At all.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:47 PM, GreekJet said:

CJ Beathard makes a lot of sense. Don’t think I would re-sign the corpse of Joe Flacco. Let Beathard and Wilson battle it out in camp. 

Beathard is the property of the Jaguars.  No trades please.  EDIT - My bad.  This was an old post.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, jetsrule128 said:

Mike white 

Right now, that appears to be the plan B.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree w/ the OP.  Beathered is the guy as he knows the offense, is a vet snd can help wilson.  

If Morgan comes along, he can be the full time backup the following year.

Beathard is the property of the Jaguars..  EDIT:  My bad.  This was an old post.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:40 PM, SayNoToDMC said:

Probably Alex Smith if this is a real question. He's helped every young QB he's been involved with and hasn't been selfish about it. Dwayne Haskins doesn't count, Even Jesus couldn't save that dude from himself. He's the black version of me, but that's why nobody should ever invest millions or a high draft pick in me.  I'd YOLO if you gave me the cash in my home town also

Retired, expensive and a poor fit due to injury history.  Pass.  EDIT: My bad, this was an old post.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:46 PM, joewilly12 said:

Free agent 

(Josh McCown)

No.  Too old and he got badly hurt in last year's playoff game (tore his hamstring off the bone).  I want somebody durable.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:57 AM, varjet said:

I saw a review of last year’s Jets draft.  

Hall was the best value.  

Morgan was the worst. 

James Morgan was drafted exactly where he was ranked.  He had a fourth round grade and that is where he was drafted. 

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

1) Nick Mullens (if healthy)
2) Brian Hoyer (fallback option)

Hoyer was in for a workout with the Jets a few weeks ago.  My guess is the Jets' first choice is Mullens who knows the system well.  If he isn't healthy enough for the start of camp, they'll sign Hoyer.

Morgan will get every chance to earn the backup spot in camp, but they still need another camp arm.

This appears to be the plan imo.  Personally, I have seen enough of both to prefer the unknown of Morgan/White.   I also would not discount the possibility that we will simply wait until final cuts and bring somebody in if Morgan/White fail to earn the right to be the backup.  

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

"Need" is a strong word, but it would be nice if the QB room had someone with some starting experience under their belt. 

Why?

Are you arguing that our Coaching staff is inadequate to the task?

Or are you arguing that we REALLY should have a guy like McCown or Fitz or Mullins to tell our new young QB about how to lose and throw INT's as an NFL QB over and over and still have a job 20 years in because they're "nice guys"? 

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Mentorship isn't the end all be all, but there is value to it.  It's nice to have a peer to bounce ideas or thoughts off of who is not a coach or someone you report to.

Wilson will have a "peer" in Morgan.

The old Journeymen QB's aren't peers to an early 20 something like Wilson.  They're more like grandparents. Hell, they're probably older than the QB Coaches, lol.

I don't see the "peer" vs. "coach" thing like you do, this isn't 6th grade ffs, it's a professional job.  

More, I don't WANT my shiny new young QB going around his Coaches to ask a loser Journeyman questions. 

Certainly didn't work for Darnold/McCown in the results area.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We don't even know if Morgan is adequate enough to make the roster yet. Last year he wasn't even good enough to be the 3rd string QB; it's a role he filled in name alone; whenever Darnold or Flacco was down, they signed White off the street to automatically leapfrog Morgan.

Which is why I believe White is still on our roster today.

Wilson/White/Morgan.  Not overly worried about the order of 2/3.

If they think Morgan's usable on the field this year, fine. I'm in favor of that. Presumably the reason he was drafted in the first place was to be the team's QB2. If he enters camp as the QB2 and looks both awful and clueless, they should bring in someone else.

If he were awful and clueless, he's already be gone.

What I'm not ok with is automatically naming Morgan - nor Mike White, who couldn't even make the Cowboys' practice squad - the QB2 for the season even if both look like Hackenberg2 or Falk2 on the field.

So lets actually see them, on the field, before we start presuming we're desperate for another McCown, Fitzy or their ilk.

Let alone that this is desirable for the team to lose on purpose in Wilson's absence (i.e. the idea there should be only two team options: either start Wilson, or tank any/all non-Wilson games for higher draft picks).

Not a theory I've raised, I am consistently anti-tanking.

This has nothing to do with a reflexive desire to bench Wilson, nor because he might or might not be thought of as more injury prone. I'm hardly one of those already saying in May, before any full team practices, that he needs to be benched; quite the opposite. The default with him should be starting Wilson, unless they think they need to work on his delivery or footwork or if he's not grasping the playbook or something, in which case bad/panic habits can get reinforced. Absent that, he's the QB. 

He's the QB regardless.  Reality of the world these days.  We're not starting a fresh-off-injury Nick Mullins Week 1, lol.

A QB doesn't "develop" any better just because he's being promoted into a role if he's unsuited for that role (just like Wilson also shouldn't start if he looks totally awful/lost).

The only thing that develops a QB is Reps.  

If Wilson "looks lost", he shouldn't have been a #2 overall pick ffs.

Anyway, other than serving to satisfying the GM's ego I don't see the big advantage of a drafted QB2 vs. a veteran QB2 making at/around the league minimum. Totally different animal to bringing in Josh McCown for ~$10MM, which I'd agree is stewpid.

Show me a worthwhile Veteran, maybe we'll have something to talk about. 

If the best you got is of the Hoyer variety, GTFOH with that idea.  Nothing reeks more of SOJ than a signing of a Hoyer-a-like.

If I have to choose between Brian "1-18 in his last 18 games" Hoyer, a guy who sucks, has pretty much always sucked, and brings nothing of value to the table OTHER than "he's a veteran", and an untested like Morgan.....I pick Morgan 100% of the time.

The only viable #2 out there might be Mullins, and even then, a casual look at his numbers shows him to be just a younger more-recently-injured Hoyer.  An UNDRAFTED QB at that, lol.  You think if WE signed an undrafted QB, like Mullins, you'd want to play him as your #2?  Morgan at least was a 4th Rounder.

I just don't get it, why is someone else's abansoned Morgan-alike so much better than our own Morgan?

The only differences is other teams play their young backups, we ALWAYS seem to have to have a 39 year old "veteran", like a god damn snuggie blanket, for out loser head coaches to cling to.

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Beathard is the property of the Jaguars.  No trades please.

Right now, that appears to be the plan B.

Beathard is the property of the Jaguars..

Retired, expensive and a poor fit due to injury history.  Pass. 

No.  Too old and he got badly hurt in last year's playoff game (tore his hamstring off the bone).  I want somebody durable.

James Morgan was drafted exactly where he was ranked.  He had a fourth round grade and that is where he was drafted. 

This appears to be the plan imo.  Personally, I have seen enough of both to prefer the unknown of Morgan/White.   I also would not discount the possibility that we will simply wait until final cuts and bring somebody in if Morgan/White fail to earn the right to be the backup.  

You have to check the date stamps on the posts you are responding to.  I was initially thinking the same, but Beathard and Smith were both available. In fact, I'm not sureS mith was even available yet on March 4.  Same goes for Bortles and some of the other dudes mentioned.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Its kind joke that no viable starting qb is on the roster.  If Zippy gets hurt or isn't prepared and we roll out Cpt Morgan it will make the Brooks Bollinger era look like the glory days.

What if Morgan is great though.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why?

Or are you arguing that we REALLY should have a guy like McCown or Fitz or Mullins to tell our new young QB about how to lose and throw INT's as an NFL QB over and over and still have a job 20 years in because they're "nice guys"? 

The old Journeymen QB's aren't peers to an early 20 something like Wilson.  They're more like grandparents. Hell, they're probably older than the QB Coaches, lol.

I don't see the "peer" vs. "coach" thing like you do, this isn't 6th grade ffs, it's a professional job.  

More, I don't WANT my shiny new young QB going around his Coaches to ask a loser Journeyman questions. 

Again, I don't place a super high premium on peer mentorship for NFL players, but there is some level of substantive value to it.

As it currently stands, there are zero NFL starts in the Jets QB room. That's not a great thing in my opinion.

If you were starting a new company, would you hire a room full of recent college grads with zero professional experience? Or do you think there would be some value to having a voice in the room with some professional experience in the industry?

At the end of the day, a mentor is not going to define whether Wilson is or isn't a success in this league. It will ultimately come down to individual talent, coaching, and dedication to the craft. But having someone to lean on who has experienced the NFL game before can only help in that journey at this juncture of a career.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

As it currently stands, there are zero NFL starts in the Jets QB room. That's not a great thing in my opinion.

OK, lets break it down then.

Why isn't it a good thing?

If you were starting a new company, would you hire a room full of recent college grads with zero professional experience?

Apples to Buicks.

Playing Football is playing Football.  College Football players are professionals in almost every way except the compensation.

Now, if you were asking "would you start a QB who has never thrown a pass in a game", I'd say no.

But comparing your average college-kid on day 1 of work, and your average college QB on day 1 at NFL practice, they're simply not comparable.

And to be clear, companies around this country do, in fact, hire college kids to do seriously big $$ business, right of out college, when they have the right credentials.

Or do you think there would be some value to having a voice in the room with some professional experience in the industry?

Again, is the implication that the Coaching staff is inadequate, that they do not "have professional experience in the industry"?

Would it make you feel better is we hired some loser never-was-good Veteran QB, like a Hoyer, as an Offensive Assistant Coach of QB's?

Or do only pad wearing, uniformed crappy Veteran QB's count?

At the end of the day, a mentor is not going to define whether Wilson is or isn't a success in this league.  It will ultimately come down to individual talent, coaching, and dedication to the craft.

And coaching.  And system.  And supporting talent.  And playcalling.

But yes, +1

But having someone to lean on who has experienced the NFL game before can only help in that journey at this juncture of a career.

If my #2 overall QB can;t throw a 10 yard out without asking a sucky loser like a McCown how to do it, he should never have been the #2 pick.

JMO.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You have to check the date stamps on the posts you are responding to.  I was initially thinking the same, but Beathard and Smith were both available. In fact, I'm not sureS mith was even available yet on March 4.  Same goes for Bortles and some of the other dudes mentioned.

Thanks.  I edited the posts.   I think the good Smith with the bad leg is still available - but retired.  When the early posts were current, the bad Smith with the good legs who thinks the earth is flat was still available.   He has since rejoined the Seahawks. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Why?

There is not a position on the team that has more coaches than the QB. There is the HC, the OC, and the QB coach. Why take a roster spot with a "mentor?"  I just never understood that.  Do the WRs have a player/mentor?  The OL?  The DBs?  Coaches coach and players play. The back up QB's job is to .... back up the QB, not teach him how to play QB.  There are 53 roster spots with 45 on game day. There is no room for "mentors."   And as Warfish stated above, who wants some JAG/journeyman like Hoyer or Mullens to "mentor" Wilson?  What would Wilson actually learn from Hoyer? How to move your family once a year?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

I like Nick Mullens.  Knows the system and had shown to be a capable starter when needed.  He played well for the 9ers when he was in.

I have said this for awhile and some have ridiculed. 

No doubt we will sign a JAG probably Hoyer aka Luke Falk II 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So lets actually see them, on the field, before we start presuming we're desperate for another McCown, Fitzy or their ilk.

He's the QB regardless.  Reality of the world these days.  We're not starting a fresh-off-injury Nick Mullins Week 1, lol.

If the best you got is of the Hoyer variety, GTFOH with that idea.  Nothing reeks more of SOJ than a signing of a Hoyer-a-like.

If I have to choose between Brian "1-18 in his last 18 games" Hoyer, a guy who sucks, has pretty much always sucked, and brings nothing of value to the table OTHER than "he's a veteran", and an untested like Morgan.....I pick Morgan 100% of the time.

The only viable #2 out there might be Mullins, and even then, a casual look at his numbers shows him to be just a younger more-recently-injured Hoyer.  An UNDRAFTED QB at that, lol.  You think if WE signed an undrafted QB, like Mullins, you'd want to play him as your #2?  Morgan at least was a 4th Rounder.

I just don't get it, why is someone else's abansoned Morgan-alike so much better than our own Morgan?

The only differences is other teams play their young backups, we ALWAYS seem to have to have a 39 year old "veteran", like a god damn snuggie blanket, for out loser head coaches to cling to.

Re: Morgan & White --

Morgan was on the roster because he was just drafted. If they thought he'd clear waivers the rest of the season on the practice squad, he'd have been there. From reports of what they saw in practice, you'd think they were describing Hackenberg. Personally I don't care, other than I'd like to see him pan out, but I wouldn't push him to being #2 or even #3 unless he's earned it on the field not because he was drafted in round 4. Same goes for White, who was deemed not good enough to be on the Cowboys' practice squad after they drafted him. Seeing how much faith their coaches have had in them since getting drafted, until each (or either) proves otherwise, neither is an NFL QB, let alone the top backup. The #3 QB I couldn't care less who it is. 

Re: tanking --

That's what I was arguing against when you joined to take the other side of the argument. His very argument was we shouldn't have a competent QB2 because it's better for the Jets if we lose the non-Wilson games.

Re: comparisons among other veteran QBs --

Different QBs are different. Never mind there are lots of straw man arguments here, as though anyone is pushing for a 39 year-old QB. Particularly when you're quoting a post that said I don't want to see them overspend to see McCown here again, and anyway I'm not even aware of any 39 year-olds who are available. 

Also if you think they're terrible, I don't see what's better in any way about a terrible young QB vs. a terrible experienced QB, other than the former will have zero to impart to our young starter. Just because someone isn't a great QB doesn't therefore mean they also know nothing about the position or about staying healthy in the NFL or about any number of things of which Morgan/White know nothing. If the coaches think they've all got no starting future, but one can be of actual help to the young QB, and after this many years bouncing around they at least know where the receivers are supposed to be and don't get confused or see ghosts when overlooking a defensive formation they've seen 1000x before, and if they're all about the same cost anyway, then that's my preference. If the latter costs $8MM, then it's no longer my preference. 

Going back to my first post you quoted, in case you missed it, it's my desire that Morgan wins the backup QB spot. But whether it's him or White or someone else, the operative word is "wins" not "backup."

If Morgan can become whatever the hell people think Nick Mullens is, which shouldn't be too difficult, I've got no objections. But just handing him the job because he was drafted in round 4, even if he's horrible, makes little sense. If anything, the opposite serves to show recent draftees that you must earn your spot on this team, not just coast because this GM wraps his picks in your proverbial Snuggie blanket. 

Put another way: if they both visibly suck worse than Nick Mullens, then bring in Nick Mullens. 

• Post of the Week 1

I think this is a serious issue and we need to address this ASAP. Now Mullins knows the system and can be signed for cheap. But I think Foles should be the guy.I’m  Sure we can get him for a late pick and can serve as a mentor. Also if this kid goes down Foles can come in and be serviceable. I know guys don’t want to part with picks but you need two QBs in this league 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Wilson is built, could easily hold 225, 230.

Lawrence's most prominent body part, is his big honker.

Expect him to break like a twig.

Mac Jones is as body beautiful, as Sonny Jurgeson

Are you still talking about football or...

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Who cares that Mullens want undrafted? He's 26, Morgan is 24.

He's started 16 games in this offensive system:

4,714 yds

64.5% Comp

25 TDs

22 Int

If he's healthy he's by far the best option to be the backup and a wonderful resource for a rookie QB since he knows the system inside and out. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I think they are waiting for Foles to be cut.

The Bears can't afford to cut Foles. Even with a post June 1st designation the Bears would lose $5 million in cap space to cut him. They currently have $289k available cap space. He's not getting cut. Their only option is to trade him and in order to do that they may have to give a team a higher draft pick than they'll receive bc they're in a really tough spot. Or they just keep him and have him occupy a roster spot all year and they can cut him next year. That is the most likely scenario in my opinion.

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

4,714 yds

64.5% Comp

25 TDs

22 Int

If he's healthy he's by far the best option to be the backup and a wonderful resource for a rookie QB since he knows the system inside and out. 

My guess is that Mullens personality isnt a fit behind wilson, because everything you say is correct with regard to the system etc and LaFleur knows him.  If he liked him, thought he could help Zach in any way and felt he was a good backup for this team, he would be here already.  For whatever reason he isnt, so there is likely something that we just dont know which is stopping us from signing  him.

We’re not going to the Super Bowl anyways. Why not just roll with the young guys? You drafted Morgan to be your backup. Just let it happen.

Honestly, I want to see this team just give all the young guys opportunities. Let’s see what we have going into next year. Enough with these 90year old vets/frank gores of the world that provide no value and block other guys from having a shot.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

My guess is that Mullens personality isnt a fit behind wilson, because everything you say is correct with regard to the system etc and LaFleur knows him.  If he liked him, thought he could help Zach in any way and felt he was a good backup for this team, he would be here already.  For whatever reason he isnt, so there is likely something that we just dont know which is stopping us from signing  him.

He had offseason elbow surgery in his throwing arm.  He is expected to be ready for training camp.  If there is a plan to sign him, there is no reason to rush into it now with uncertainty around his recovery.  

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

4,714 yds

64.5% Comp

25 TDs

22 Int

Is that supposed to be impressive? A bunch of trash-time passing yards in (mostly, 5-11) losing efforts and a near 1:1 TD:INT Ratio?  For a guy that "knows the system", he was pretty meh at actually playing in it, outside of the aforementioned trash-time playing-from-behind passing yards.  

He may be the "best available" admittedly, and he may technically be a "veteran" by the thinnest of definitions, but he is still rehabbing from his severe injury and surgery to his throwing shoulder at current as well.  He's just not a need for us, nor for Wilson.

We have a guy on the roster our GM thought highly enough of to spend a 4th round pick on. 

Lets give him the same chance the 49'ers gave their UDFA nobody of a QB Mr. Mullens.  The irony here is if we had signed Mullens, most of you would be screaming that we can'y play Mullens as our #2, and that we'd need a Veteran!

There is no downside here.  If Morgan sucks up the place, so what.  It's not like we're competing for a Super Bowl this year, and no amount of Nick Mullens will change that.  If Wilson goes down, the #2 is a placeholder, nothing more.  I, for one, would like to see the big kid we drafted be that placeholder, and not spend a single extra penny on that role.

• Upvote 2