N.Y Jets sign Justin Hardee to a 3 year deal (from the Saints).

Joe Douglas makes a smart move.  He knows that the Saints are tight against the cap and will have to make harsh choices by 4 pm tomorrow.  So - before those choices - he strikes and swipes their ace special teams player.  No, he is not the starter many want.  But he is going to improve the special teams units.  We will like this guy. 

As for the defensive backfield, I like what we have.  Strongest and youngest unit on the team.  We need to bring in one veteran.  If it is Poole, that is fine.  If it is not, that is fine too.  I could roll with Hall and Austin on the outside and Guidry at nickel.  With Maulet and Jackson in reserve.  We have far greater needs elsewhere.  I would spend the money and draft picks on the other units. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

The Jets have not had a true identity in years.. IMO since Rex and his leadership style wore quickly. If these moves bring guys who are leaders and who will set the tone in the locker room I can't hate them. I feel like, albeit void of a lot of talent, we would have fielded more competitive teams these past few years had there been the right mix of selfless, football-first guys on the team. I think JD has acknowledged this and it's been proven by the moves we've made. With that being said there is always give and take when it comes to generational talent or something like that. Not pressing the panic button yet. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

This is our splash signing,,,this is all he can do today ?
The draft is gonna suck !!!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Of all the positions we need to address,,,I bet no one thought of special teams gunner .

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

Do you need a hug?

• Haha 2

The more I read about this guy, the more I like this move.

An elite special teamer, one of the best in the league, that the cap-strapped Saints just couldn't afford to keep.

Hardee can be our Matthew Slater, who has been a key piece for the Pats for more than a decade.

When we look back in a few years, I think we'll be viewing this as a key acquisition that helped turn the team around.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Nice contract, consistent with salaries for top special teamers:

Seems like douglas/saleh targeted these 3 guys to lead the 3 units.  Davis will be a leader on offense, Lawson on defense and hardee on special teams.  Also all 3 are good players or better.  So in this light i think the jets view the first FA wave as a big success, they got their guys.  Also most other guys we want the jets to go after are still available, with the best 2 OL going right away for huge money which the jets weren’t going to pay anyway.  Plus there’s going to be more cuts today.  So 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Marshmello said:

I seem to recall exactly this sentiment when we got that Seattle DB as part of the Jamal trade.

Hope this time it works out, lord knows we need the help at DB (I still have some faith that Bryce Hall could work out as a #2 CB).

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

If these are the kind of signings JD is making, you can forget guys like Galloday and Watson. It isn't  happening. 

What a ridiculous comment!  Seriously.   All NFL teams, as in 100%, make signings such as this whether or not they sign a high priced superstar.  Just because a special teamer gets signed, it is no indication of other moves.

• Upvote 1