What Excites You About the 2021 Season To Come?

Surprisingly these guys played hard under Gase.  Saleh will have them so pumped they will be ready to run through walls for the guy.  Will be fun watching the D just trying to wreck people.

hope the new OC/QB combo clicks and we don’t have to watch 3 and outs for 75% of the game like we are used to.  I still don’t understand how we looked so good on opening drives last year and then nothing the rest of the game on offense. 

• Upvote 1

obviously with so many new faces it's going to be hard for this team to come together.  there is some risk in this.  but it looks like there's a plan and it also looks like the coach will have the team playing with passion each sunday.  this is what we want (i think).  if they do their best on each play i think we'll be surprised in a positive way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Caveat, we all know the draft is still in the future and will factor into this question then. :)

But so far, what has already happened and who we already have, what excites you about the forthcoming 2021 Season?

1. Saleh - For the first time in a long time, we hired a guy who I think might actually work out as an NFL Head Coach.  Saleh seems to have his head on strait, is very well-regarded, knows him limitations and weaknesses, and has filed those with other minds who are also well regarded.  Unlike our last guy, Saleh doesn't seems like the kind of guy who is going to end up a joke or meme.  Sure, he repeats his lame catch phrases a bit too much, but that's ok, that's a menial sin at worst.  For the first time since Rex Ryan's hiring, I feel like we might have a guy who could succeed in this job here.

2. A New QB - everyone here knows I was a Darnold critic and doubter from long before he was drafted, specifically his accuracy (comp. %) and penchant for turnovers.  He proves his doubters right on both counts.  While Sam never had anything close to a decent team around him, and Gase's offense especially was a nightmare of mismanaged failure, Sam was his own worst enemy at many points, making unforced errors that weren't on the team or his WR, but on his own decision making and lack of accuracy.  It's exciting that we will soon have a new QB (even if it's Wilson, who I've been critical of for his size and weak college opponents).  At least with Wilson, accuracy and decision making do not appear to be college-career concerns.  Here's hoping the hype is real for once.

3. Davis and Mims.  Lets be honest, our WR"s (yes, including Robby) have pretty much sucked since 2015.  Amongst the weakest and least effective groups in the NFL.  While I have pointed out that Davis was the #2 WR (and 3rd option in the Titans system), and that his best year was his walk year, it will still be very exciting to see him, and hopefully Mims, actually provide a decent level of WR for once.  This is one that is equal parts worry and excitement, especially if (as many predict) Crowder is let loose and we don't draft another WR very high (or at all).  This could go south quickly in that case with one repeat-tweaked hammy.  But as of today, I'm hopeful the JEts roll out into 2021 with at least three competent WR's able and ready to help our new QB prosper right out of the gate,

4. The Draft, O-Line and Weapons:  We're in a great spot in this draft, due to JD's one proven skill so far (trading players for picks).  We have alot of capital the next few years.  We should be able (and JD should make it happen) to fix the remaining holes on our O-line AND acquire at least one great O-skill weapon for our new #2 pick QB.  This will, I'm hoping be one of moe exciting drafts in many years.  Again, if we go Wilson at #2 then go Defense, Defense, Defense, I'll be very disappointed, but I have faith that JD knows the errors of the past, and that before Saturday, we'll have a new starting QB, a new WR or TE weapon and a new day-1 starter O-lineman.   

So what about you, what has you truly excited for 2021?

Instead of coming up with my own list, I'll just piggy back yours.

1.  Head Coach:  Agreed.  For some reason, I get the Cowher vibe from Saleh.  I have this feeling that he's going to eventually have his own "coaching tree" once his assistants start getting hired away.  I haven't had faith in any head coach since Herm was hired (I didn't know who he was, but his press conference won me over and had me fired up).  Even though Herm was pretty successful by Jets standards, hopefully this one works out better.  This truly could be the beginning of something great with coach and JD.  Organization stability.  Become one of those model teams that do things the right way.  All it takes is the right hire and quarterback.  The Pats were basically us before BB and TB.

2.  QB:  I really loved Sam and was one of the guys that wanted him after the Rose Bowl.  To be fair though, I didn't want to pass on Watson for Sam.  I wanted Hack to get a crack first.  Yes rip away.  WTF do I know?  I'm a blind homer that gives everyone a crack before crucifying them.  As for this draft, I prefer Fields.  Why?  That Clemson game wowed me like no other since the Watson/Bama game.  I don't know what to think about the Zach, but I'll sure root my ass off for him if he's picked.  Again, we deserve to eventually get "IT" right.  

3.  WR:  I'm STOKED for Mims.  Again, I'm a blind homer, but he looks like Al Toon to me.  The 80's style jersey and his body type had me down memory lane.  The Senior Bowl practice tapes where he was breaking cb's ankles at the line of scrimmage and his contested catch rate is very exciting.  On the other side, Davis is a beast that's just starting to come into his own.  I'm so high on both that I don't even want a receiver drafted high.  I'd love one of the Moore/Moore/St. Brown though in the fourth if they magically fall.  Crowder isn't going anywhere unless they draft a replacement high.  What do they need cap space for?  

4.  Draft:  It's our yearly Super Bowl.  Of course I'm excited.  I'd love to see JD come away with the Sooner Center at 23 and a RT at 34.  Center is one of my favorite positions in football.  Maybe it's because we have had great ones, but I'm ready to continue that tradition.  Pair him and the QB together for the next decade plus.  I kept reading that Guard is McGovern's best position when we signed him anyway.  Feeney, Lewis, and Clark should be able to man the other Guard spot decently.  If nothing else, the competition will keep them on their toes.  Fant will be a great swing tackle depth player when the rookie eventually takes over.  Build that line, give the quarterback a wall.  Everyone keeps calling for edge and corners at 23.  I understand the positional value, but protecting the kid comes first.  Besides they just signed a bunch of defensive players and I'm very high on Hall and Bless in this defensive scheme.  It might not be the black hole everyone thinks.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Well, overall I'm most excited that the Jets should be a MUCH better product than they were the last 10 years. They'll be growing pains for sure. But I firmly believe there's a nice foundation in place. My feeling is Joe Douglas will want to finish the OL. He'll want a top young OL before the 2021 season concludes and I the major pieces are coming in this draft.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I'm not excited, I'm relaxed. I have a Zen-like calm about me. My expectations are low with rookies at head coach, offensive coordinator, and QB, and I expect a ton of growing pains. I hope to see some flashes of what's to come early, and then to feel like the team is actually on the right track by the time the season's over.

I want to see JD's draft picks play well -both this year's and last- so I can look forward to the talent he'll be picking up with a pair of firsts and seconds in 2022. So much is dependent on the quality of his drafts. 

• Thumb Down 1

I am not excited about the 2021 season.

Back in 2017 I could justify the losing because I was excited about landing one of the top quarterbacks in an epic draft class.  Back in 2018 I could justify the losing because I was excited about watching Sam Darnold blossom into a franchise quarterback.  Back in 2019 I could justify the losing because I was excited about a brand new coaching staff.

I'm not doing that anymore.  I'm done rooting for a successful draft or a successful rebuild.  I understand that its part of being a fan.  I understand that patience is required.  But I'm not excited about it.  The Jets bore me.  The only good thing I can say about the 2021 season is that I look forward to watching games sitting outside at the stadium instead of inside on the television.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

New coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes, new QB, new weapons, JD's rebuild finally starting to take shape. It will be exciting, even if we don't win many games I will be happy if we see a scrappy team that puts up some fight and a young QB making progress that the previous one never made.

Excited to see what last years draft class can do with a year under their belts and real competent PROFESSIONAL coaching.   

Here is to hoping they will all come camp in good shape and stay injury free.  Becton needs to continue to improve and not rest on last year laurels, this definitely a big year for Mims and A. Davis as they figure to either start or play major minutes.  Same goes for Hall, now with full year from his injury.  He looked good at times but has a ways to go.  Remember he was slated to go second or 3rd round by many experts before his injury.   Mann has a year under his belt and hopefully he also gets more comfortable.  With improved special teams play, he won't have to remain the last line of defense on way too many of his punts. 

I also want to see what Cam Clark can do.  If he steps up and becomes a regular contributor or better yet, wins one of the guard positions outright, then this draft might go down as one of the best in Jet history.   That still leaves Zuniga, Perine, and Morgan.    We get ANYTHING out of those three than it is truly an exceptional draft.  Having said that, I'm really greedy.   I WANT those guys to become regular contributors as well.   Perine has some ability. How much opportunity he will receive remains to be seen.   The biggest question mark for me is Zuniga; they guy has just not been able to stay healthy so far.   I know he got in a few games toward end of the year and didn't show much.  I attribute much of that to not being in shape and rust.  If we can keep this guy healthy, I truly believe he can contribute to the pass rush and become part of the defensive rotation.  That is a big if at this point.   That brings us to Morgan; I look forward to seeing him in camp and hope plays really well.  If we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him next year or the year after, than that pick would have been pure genius by JD.

• Upvote 1

Russel wilson gets hurt, geno leads the seahags to a 1 win season and the jets get the 1st ovreall pick next year which they parlay into 5 high picks over the next 2 years, so we can dump Zac Wilson for a 1st and a 3rd and trade 5 1st rounders for Deshaun Watson and then win 4 games so we can get a high pick and rebuild with our next coach.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Russel wilson gets hurt, geno leads the seahags to a 1 win season and the jets get the 1st ovreall pick next year which they parlay into 5 high picks over the next 2 years, so we can dump Zac Wilson for a 1st and a 3rd and trade 5 1st rounders for Deshaun Watson and then win 4 games so we can get a high pick and rebuild with our next coach.

no worries  ?..

Untitled-design-82-1200x675.png

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Don't forget to add Sam leads the Panthers to a 5-11 record, and the 5th pick in the 2nd and 4th rd.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I look forward to having a reason to watch again.

Knowing Sam Darnold was terrible for some time, the Jets just haven’t been a compelling or entertaining watch.

Will Zach Wilson be terrible?  Probably - because, Jets.  But at least I don’t know that for sure yet.  That is enough to keep me invested this year.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I am not excited about the 2021 season.

Back in 2017 I could justify the losing because I was excited about landing one of the top quarterbacks in an epic draft class.  Back in 2018 I could justify the losing because I was excited about watching Sam Darnold blossom into a franchise quarterback.  Back in 2019 I could justify the losing because I was excited about a brand new coaching staff.

I'm not doing that anymore.  I'm done rooting for a successful draft or a successful rebuild.  I understand that its part of being a fan.  I understand that patience is required.  But I'm not excited about it.  The Jets bore me.  The only good thing I can say about the 2021 season is that I look forward to watching games sitting outside at the stadium instead of inside on the television.

SAR I

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Being serious for a second. I checked out on enjoying this team on a macro level after watching Darnold and realizing pretty early on that he sucked. I got most excited to watch dudes like Mayfield and Mahomes rather than the Jets. 

Now I’m back. I really like Wilson (or Fields). I really like Corey Davis and the idea of a the rebuild being over. I’ll always get myself hyped when a game starts or when the season starts but I’m rarely this excited at all times. 

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Don't think of it as a Giants SB Banner...think of it as a celebration of Patriot Failure.  Then it is completely at home in a Jets man-cave.

Theres the glass half full way of looking at it.

But yes, thanks, that does change it entirely.  I would display it also