What Excites You About the 2021 Season To Come?

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Caveat, we all know the draft is still in the future and will factor into this question then. :)

But so far, what has already happened and who we already have, what excites you about the forthcoming 2021 Season?

1. Saleh - For the first time in a long time, we hired a guy who I think might actually work out as an NFL Head Coach.  Saleh seems to have his head on strait, is very well-regarded, knows him limitations and weaknesses, and has filed those with other minds who are also well regarded.  Unlike our last guy, Saleh doesn't seems like the kind of guy who is going to end up a joke or meme.  Sure, he repeats his lame catch phrases a bit too much, but that's ok, that's a menial sin at worst.  For the first time since Rex Ryan's hiring, I feel like we might have a guy who could succeed in this job here.

2. A New QB - everyone here knows I was a Darnold critic and doubter from long before he was drafted, specifically his accuracy (comp. %) and penchant for turnovers.  He proves his doubters right on both counts.  While Sam never had anything close to a decent team around him, and Gase's offense especially was a nightmare of mismanaged failure, Sam was his own worst enemy at many points, making unforced errors that weren't on the team or his WR, but on his own decision making and lack of accuracy.  It's exciting that we will soon have a new QB (even if it's Wilson, who I've been critical of for his size and weak college opponents).  At least with Wilson, accuracy and decision making do not appear to be college-career concerns.  Here's hoping the hype is real for once.

3. Davis and Mims.  Lets be honest, our WR"s (yes, including Robby) have pretty much sucked since 2015.  Amongst the weakest and least effective groups in the NFL.  While I have pointed out that Davis was the #2 WR (and 3rd option in the Titans system), and that his best year was his walk year, it will still be very exciting to see him, and hopefully Mims, actually provide a decent level of WR for once.  This is one that is equal parts worry and excitement, especially if (as many predict) Crowder is let loose and we don't draft another WR very high (or at all).  This could go south quickly in that case with one repeat-tweaked hammy.  But as of today, I'm hopeful the JEts roll out into 2021 with at least three competent WR's able and ready to help our new QB prosper right out of the gate,

4. The Draft, O-Line and Weapons:  We're in a great spot in this draft, due to JD's one proven skill so far (trading players for picks).  We have alot of capital the next few years.  We should be able (and JD should make it happen) to fix the remaining holes on our O-line AND acquire at least one great O-skill weapon for our new #2 pick QB.  This will, I'm hoping be one of moe exciting drafts in many years.  Again, if we go Wilson at #2 then go Defense, Defense, Defense, I'll be very disappointed, but I have faith that JD knows the errors of the past, and that before Saturday, we'll have a new starting QB, a new WR or TE weapon and a new day-1 starter O-lineman.   

So what about you, what has you truly excited for 2021?

Great post, i tend to agree with you but one thing that really excites me is to see Mosley back on the field and the pass rushers. As bad as WR has been - since decker and marshall - really wasnt great before then either..

The pass rush has been non exiestent for as long as I can remember. We now have what seems to be a pass rush on paper. Not just scheme which I think we will see alot of from the new HC and staff worked in to the game plan, but I think just an organic 3 or 4 man rush...

QB, protecting and rushing the QB is the most significant on any team. We now potentially after the draft will be a team that possesses talent in all three places. Not just one player but a couple good line, couple good pass rushers...

Man if the all gas no brake mantra is going to be followed in the game plan, Joe could add 2 rook line and 1 rook rusher we would be in great shape.

Pass rush is the most exciting thing i think for everyone.

• Upvote 1

So much. As is always the case with a new coach and QB. Probably the most excited I’ve been for a season since 2010. 

Zach Wilson - He’s not my favourite prospect of all time but I still think he’s legit. We will be far more exciting to watch and shouldn’t be quite as prone to same stupid turnovers that plagued us with Darnold, especially as we should have some NFL caliber weapons. This draft class will be our most important in decades. How these rookies do will be huge in determining out future but Wilson most obviously of all has to be good.

Front 7 - This looks like such a talented group. It was already underrated as guys like Foley and JFM have proven to be quality players and Q is starting to prove worthy of the pre draft Aaron Donald comparisons. Lawson is a great addition who should open up things for the guys inside as well as provide a legit edge rush. Then you have the wildcards in Sheldon Rankins and CJ Mosley. If they get back to anything like their best then this can be a legitimately elite unit. Can’t wait to see what Saleh does with these guys. 

Coaching - To elaborate on the above there’s a lot of players that I can see getting to a new level under Saleh/LaFleur. Going from the biggest con man in NFL history to a guy with a record of overachieving is exciting. I can’t wait to see the new offensive scheme with their hand picked QB. It literally couldn’t be worse than what preceded it. 

I love these pressure free seasons where you have low expectations with a lot of new talent on the roster and the coaching staff - The 2006 and 2009 seasons were probably the most enjoyable I’ve seen. It feels like the beginning of a new era and like we’ve closed the page on the darkest chapter I’ve seen yet. It’s all set up for classic Jets heartbreak but even these few months where we can actually hope make a nice change from the last decade.

• Upvote 2

Nothing. I am in the wait and see mode. News of the Tom Seaver statue reminds me of impulsive trades that NY teams made in the past coupled with misery outcomes to the teams. I am not convinced Sam trade is what the Jets needed to do or should have done. As for the new head coach, I hope he can keep his composure on the side lines so he can be in control of the team and the game. He will have a learning curve to acclimate to the Head Coach role. It's easy to be excited when you are window shopping. Time will tell how the package looks when it's game time.

• WTF? 1

Watching Saleh, Zach Wilson and the rest of the young guys progress. Rebuilds done properly are very fun to watch. As a life long Sixers fan some of the best and most fun moments were watching the masterful trades and young guys progress to were they are now. Hopefully JD hits the picks though or it’ll be ugly 

• Upvote 1

That I don't have to watch Spencer Long snap a ball over the QB's head!

Oh...wait, wrong year. 

1. Competent coaching, with a new offensive system that has proven to be productive and a 4-3 switch on defense.  I miss the John Abraham days of him coming off the edge. 

2. The draft capital we have over the next two years to reshape this roster. 

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Excited to see how LeFluers offense looks. 

Holy crap how did I forget this. 

I cannot imagine what it would be like to have one of those offenses we see every week in the rest of the league, guys schemed wide open, a running game not based on Gore gashing for 3 yards, chunk plays. 

Can’t wait. 

• Upvote 1