Legit question - did we learn anything about James Morgan and his ability...in his 2 practices? Do we have something?

35 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

From the tweets I read it at least seemed like Morgan was competent.  We've had young QBs that were completely lost.  Seems this guy is at least competent, with a chance to be something.  In other words, what we saw confirmed he's not a total waste.

Wait...what?

JD worked the first draft so he could get an extra pick (EXTRA) to take a chance on a QB in the hopes he could be a competent back-up/spot starter, which is something you have to do until you find a QB.  

But...but, there were about a dozen posters who thought JD should be fired for such a BS move?  

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, when he kinda sucks despite facing no live rush and vanilla defensive looks, that can tell us something.

Tebow couldn't hit a side of the empire state building in practice yet still won a playoff game. Some guys suck in practice show up at game time. Some guys light up in practice and ghost in a game. Untill they actually people you just don't know. 

25 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Tebow couldn't hit a side of the empire state building in practice yet still won a playoff game. Some guys suck in practice show up at game time. Some guys light up in practice and ghost in a game. Untill they actually people you just don't know. 

Tebow sucked in both practice and real games. He was not a "game time" guy he was a guy who couldn't' play QB at the NFL level.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

From the tweets I read it at least seemed like Morgan was competent.  We've had young QBs that were completely lost.  Seems this guy is at least competent, with a chance to be something.  In other words, what we saw confirmed he's not a total waste.

Really?

I read that today he was late on a short out that was a pick 6 and air mailed one 10 feet over Keenan Cole's head.  Thats 2 extremely errant passes out of 11 (I believe) thrown total between the 2 QBs.  Where was the competency?

• Upvote 1

Its not just that Morgan is likely not good, his skill set also doesnt fit this offense as he isnt mobile or overly accurate.  Hes more of a downfield chunk thrower with size.  

Someone mentioned John Wolford in another thread and he is a guy who is an excellent backup.  Doesnt have strong enough physical skills to be starter but is accurate and mobile so at least he can run an offense and possibly make a couple plays running.  

I dont know which players are going to shake free during cuts, but it will be interesting to see if we make some sort of move

Looking at the rosters - Kyle Allen could be cut from the Redskins who could work

• Upvote 1

These 2 bozo’s have been to all the meetings and the mini camps and the OTA’s and have studied the playbook for months. If they aren’t showing anything still then I think we have our answer. They suck. But if the Jets release them you know the Patriots will pick one up just for info on our playbook and maybe even Carolina would do that also. Still better to discard one of them now rather than in 2 or 3 weeks. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Saleh likes both White and Morgan and does NOT want a veteran QB. He literally said it yesterday. Saleh wants to coach up his players. He considers vets as mostly JAGS and rookies as explosive.

He is like the polar opposite of every coach we have had so far.

I'm not sure that's a good thing? We shall see, but bear in mind this could be a very bad thing...

18 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I remember in 2018 when Darnold got hurt and missed three games.  I also remember not even watching/caring about those games.  Kinda feels like that all over again with our backup QBs as is....

I can understand not wanting to watch games with McCown or  Flacco when Darnold got hurt because they were old and had zero future with the team. Watching White and Morgan who are really still unknowns should at the very least peak your interest as possible future back ups. 

If the Jets do become a playoff contender you surely will want a competent backup in case Wilson has to miss a few games during a playoff run when every single game counts. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I can understand not wanting to watch games with McCown or  Flacco when Darnold got hurt because they were old and had zero future with the team. Watching White and Morgan who are really still unknowns should at the very least peak your interest as possible future back ups. 

If the Jets do become a playoff contender you surely will want a competent backup in case Wilson has to miss a few games during a playoff run when every single game counts. 

I guess what I forgot to mention was that this year, like 2018, we are not "expected" to make the playoffs.  This isn't Sanchez in 2009 where the team is set and we are a "QB away".  could we make the playoffs?  sure.  is it likely?  probably not.

so yes, if we ate 7-5 and Zach goes down, I'm with you - we are all in.  but I was going with the assumption that it would be like Darnold in 2018 - we are below 0.500, not expected to go anywhere, and all we are really looking for is progress from our QB.

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If they sign a veteran backup in the next few days or at the end of camp we will get our answer.

they pretty much have to and I think a good vet would help  mentor Wilson

It would be insane not to have a legit vet as a back up at this point

If Wilson god forbid misses time I dont want to hear that you cant expect results from the coach or gm as he has no back up with experience.  I think Foles makes the most sense 

11 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I guess what I forgot to mention was that this year, like 2018, we are not "expected" to make the playoffs.  This isn't Sanchez in 2009 where the team is set and we are a "QB away".  could we make the playoffs?  sure.  is it likely?  probably not.

so yes, if we ate 7-5 and Zach goes down, I'm with you - we are all in.  but I was going with the assumption that it would be like Darnold in 2018 - we are below 0.500, not expected to go anywhere, and all we are really looking for is progress from our QB.

anything less than 6 wins at this point would be miserable failure 

Joe's year one drafts need to step up-the mims excuses fan boys can only talk him up so long...

20 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He looked pretty good today.  hes young and a project and this is his 1st camp.  Have to give him time.

He will be our Pat Ryan when its all said and done.

I'll sign up for that as long as Wilson does not become our Richard Todd or Kenny O'Brien.