Tony Pauline’s latest on Becton

maury77

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Here's the comp that should scare us all; Robert Gallery; 7-8 year career, didn't kill himself, was so huge in college he simply pushed people around. But he was never Jon Ogden/Walter Jones great. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GallRo20.htm

He wound up being a pretty good Guard if I remember correctly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If I’m the GM, and I deliver a physical talent like Becton to my coaching staff, and he goes out his rookie season and is a fringe Pro-Bowler, I’m expecting a new staff to motivate that guy to—if not stardom—to become an effective starter. If the coach I hired takes an entire draft class and decides he can’t work with any of those guys, I’m having some questions about my coach. Why are we giving Saleh a pass here? He’s an absolute nobody who has proven absolutely nothing as a coach at any point in his life. He was hired because Shanahan’s offense is a TOP monster whose defenses have to do the bare minimum to rank in the top ten. Who did he coach up? Joey Bosa? 

Maybe Saleh tried to motivate Becton but maybe, just maybe , Becton threatened to sit on him?

it is a possibility 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Would be great if everyone was Braxton Berrios self starter. But that isn't reality. You are going to have to deal with a few hammerheads among your roster. Does anyone think Jimmy Johnson was overjoyed to deal with Michael Irvin, or Parcells with LT? Not saying you indulge stupid, but you also have to harness it when there's talent. Becton is huge. Someobdy has to get through to this numbskull, you cannot simply right off a top LT size wise like that. It's rank mismanagement. Every workplace ha it's share of trobbing dicks. But if they can help you, you have to deal with them. 

Now if he in in fact so dumb he doesn't grasp his opportunity, that is a very different thing. 

Exactly. And if it was one guy you could write it off, but an entire draft class? If I’m the GM or, more importantly, the guy writing checks to that draft class, I’ve got some questions for their manager.

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think there are a lot of players all across football who have Becton’s disposition but their coaching staffs find a way to turn them into productive players. Conversely, I think there are a ton of position coaches who aren’t comfortable exerting discipline upon players who don’t play on their side of the football, and Becton’s and Mim’s OC is a steeply overhired 33 year old. 

I think there are a ton of players across football who can’t be motivated by anyone either. Good franchises establish a culture where those guys don’t play - the Jets haven’t established a culture quite yet - and once the culture is in place they can be selectively opportunistic about character risks but give those guys short leashes. 

Again you keep kind of get at “there’s a way to motivate”. If it’s not money, what is it? Guys either play because they love the sport or they want to get paid. If a guy doesn’t love football and a potential hit to his earning potential doesn’t motivate him, you think some rousing speech will?

I’m missing what you think they should be doing. I get you think it should be more but not exactly what it should be. And you’re discounting that guys take their millions and run all the time - honestly if the money will be used responsibly it’s probably the most logical decision a healthy millionaire in his 20’s could make.

• Upvote 3

He has been showing signs similar to what we saw with Jamal Adams over the last year or so... overly active on social, into self promotion (website, branding, his big ticket chain, etc.) well before that type of stuff was earned, and seems to take the heat he gets from some fans personally. He 'notices' the things that are said about him.

I still have hope for him, he was outright dominant at times last year, but the signs are there and I'm not sure the relationship is heading in the right direction. Time will tell - in the end it's up to him. I am a fan of his game.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly. And if it was one guy you could write it off, but an entire draft class? If I’m the GM or, more importantly, the guy writing checks to that draft class, I’ve got some questions for their manager.

If you try to be Parcells now the theater kids in the media will demand cancellation. It's not easy. Imagine if Saleh called Becton "she"? He'd be sent to Guantanamo. Vetting self starters is more important than ever now. Hard coaching gets you fired if you dont win year 1.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't like the idea of taking a guard that high - even if he eventually plays tackle.

I feel like so long as we bring back Moses, we can sit tight for a year with Fant and Becton already under contract next year - push off the decision until we know more.

My worry with Moses is that I don't see him signing back with the Jets to be a backup. If the Jets want Becton to start, why would Moses re-sign? He's clearly good enough to start on tons of teams. We got lucky with him because he was a late cut by the Redskins and Fant's starting job wasn't secure coming off last year.

I'd have no problem with re-signing Moses and keeping Fant, Becton, and Moses on this roster next year. I just don't know if Moses would re-sign. 

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

My worry with Moses is that I don't see him signing back with the Jets to be a backup. If the Jets want Becton to start, why would Moses re-sign? He's clearly good enough to start on tons of teams. We got lucky with him because he was a late cut by the Redskins and Fant's starting job wasn't secure coming off last year.

I'd have no problem with re-signing Moses and keeping Fant, Becton, and Moses on this roster next year. I just don't know if Moses would re-sign. 

I think you're right about him wanting to play and, most importantly, be paid like a starter.

I think we do it.

Becton is now the swing tackle until he proves otherwise, is the idea. Becky's still on his rookie deal and his weekly availability is unreliable - so we have him at a reasonable cost and we aren't forced to play him. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I love this because I clicked on Connor Hughes’s Jets podcast this week and the first 20 minutes were him offering his critique of the new Spider Man movie and how it works with the rest of the Marvel multiverse. Even his two cohosts were like, “uh, dude?”

That’s hilarious 

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did the doctors clear him to return to practice? 

If Yes——->Activate him and make him earn a job.

If No—->Say so.

Did the doctors clear him to practice two weeks ago and he’s still 30 pounds overweight? 

If Yes—->Tell his agent that he’s getting fined for every week he’s overweight.

If No——>Make him practice at RT, RG, and on specials.

Did the doctors clear him to play four weeks ago, he’s still overweight, and he’s not practicing hard?

If Yes——> Deactivate him and let his agent appeal to the Player’s Union

I don’t think we often see a public pissing match between a team and a player result in the player all of a sudden turning it around and being a good player. Usually just ends in a parting of ways. Maybe it works for some guys.

Probably more satisfying for fans to do stuff publicly but don’t think there’s any issue with stuff being handled behind closed doors. Given he’s not playing but he should be back seems like they’re not in a rush to get him into the field - your third scenario could be actively playing out but he’s not fighting it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I love this because I clicked on Connor Hughes’s Jets podcast this week and the first 20 minutes were him offering his critique of the new Spider Man movie and how it works with the rest of the Marvel multiverse. Even his two cohosts were like, “uh, dude?”

Lol

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Maybe if he was a fringe NFL player. Not when he was just picked 11th overall and put up a strong rookie year. 

It would be a dumb move by the Jets to move on from him.

Exactly! Don't they still have 2 years and an option on him? No need to rush judgement.

10 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Draft Neal, let Becton compete with him. Let Moses walk

This really makes the most sense.  The Jets need to build a pipeline of OL.  Moses is going to get paid almost as much as Neal will be.  

If the Jets can convert the Seattle pick into 2 picks and then find a WR and another need there, that would be a home run.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

This really makes the most sense.  The Jets need to build a pipeline of OL.  Moses is going to get paid almost as much as Neal will be.  

If the Jets can convert the Seattle pick into 2 picks and then find a WR and another need there, that would be a home run.

I’d personally flip the #4 pick as teams may want to jump Carolina for Pitt Qb. Or do we offer our #2 pick to get Thibs at #1?

I say trade back at 4 and get Karlaftis, Lloyd, Neal or Williams at #7 and Linderbaum in the 9-15 range if Denver, WFT or Pitt trades up. 

of course it never works out the way we want

• Upvote 1

you can't teach speed, size or motivation.    these guys need to want to play or they'll just be slugs.  becton got a pretty good contract so he's probably set for life.  hopefully the jets will be able to help this guys motivation and play.  failing that i'm guessing douglas will accommodate his wishes to go elsewhere.  some other team will gladly pick up bectons contract.  it won't be a first rounder but it will be pretty high.

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

You can create a pipeline of olinemen later in the draft. Receivers, EDGE's even ILB's you want to invest early in. The Jets cant afford to swap players that just didnt work out unless it's QB.

• Upvote 1