Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Yall fall for gaslight every time

That’s all well and good, but that is 100% coach speak.  Or in this case GM speak.  Even if he wanted to(granted maybe wouldn’t want to) come out and voice frustration, it has zero benefit to do so.  Not if they want him back, not if they want him gone.

• Upvote 3

I keep saying you have to treat him as if he’s not on the roster. This class has 3 very good OTs and you have 2 first rounders = Take one. 

If Mekhi figures his sh*t out, he’s surplus, but after the first 2 years you put zero confidence/stock in his contribution being meaningful.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Most wide-zone RTs should.  

The projections are always “this guy would be a good RT but an ALL-PRO at guard”!

Nobody says a prospect would be an all-pro RT, unless he’s a big fatty who doesn’t have the movement skills to fit the wide-zone offense.

I think that the length and quickness deficiencies that lead to guys being projected to guard are antithetical to what you want in a wide zone tackle, they tend to be related to concerns about playing in space, but it’s possible you’re right. We’ll see how it shakes out.

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That’s all well and good, but that is 100% coach speak.  Or in this case GM speak.  Even if he wanted to(granted maybe wouldn’t want to) come out and voice frustration, it has zero benefit to do so.  Not if they want him back, not if they want him gone.

It GM speak to say there in communication with his trainers (who is extremely popular in nfl circles) and telling you there on top of everything?  So he couldn’t just be telling you the truth.  Funny part is he didnt mention a thing about him rehabbing but thats the word everyone ran with from Ralph’s tweet.

51 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’ve defended Becton.  Wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I won’t defend him going forward.

+1

I too took a "wait and see" approach with him.

But this is hard to stomach.  He should be there, period.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, derp said:

All that said, and there’s no way this is the actually case but it popped into my head, how awesome would it be if with all the Becton questions they decided to lean into a tackle smokescreen and told him to stay in Dallas and skip OTA’s to sell it. Not the case, but I wish it was.

...that would be so awesome,?

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Of course it won't. We live in a time where people go on twitter and talk sh*t to players on their favorite team because they can. They don't think of them as people.

i guess i shoulda read the whole thread haha.  he's excused IMO.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, PS17 said:

One would think that if you’re already on thin ice with the coaching staff, you’d show up to the workouts. Becton is lazy and stupid. 

Is he on this ice with the coaching staff? Has he communicated his intent to the coaching staff? Is he doing something different as part of his regiment? 

These takes are so lazy and tired... Have no idea what's been discussed between the CS and Becton. Maybe they did say: "It's voluntary, but we really want you here" and Becton said "Nah bro". Or maybe they have a different plan. Or maybe there's been no communications. Why do you insist with the narrative? 

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

FWIW; everything i hear says the Jets board is #1 Thibs, #2 Ekwonu

Obviously i can't speak to how things will crystalize next week and if arguments are being made to flip that order -- but you can feel pretty confident that it'll be one of the two if available 

This is where I am at, as well. 

What happens in the scenario that Ickey and Thibs are both gone? Jermaine Johnson? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Tried telling you guys this a year ago when you were sizing up Becton for his gold jacket and entry to Canton. He literally pulled himself out of games as a rookie, talk about a huge red flag. He doesn’t have the desire. Nor does his draft mate Denzel. 

Yeah it was obvious. I think Douglas and Saleh are operating under the assumption that he’s not in their plans. Bad pick, chalk it up to new GM + Covid falling for the size.

Whether than means OT at 4 or 10 who knows. Gotta imagine it will either be NC State guy at 4 or Penning at 10.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Larz said:

We go through this every year. It’s voluntary. 

with the Jets injury history he’s probably better off with other trainers anyway lol

Yes it's voluntary.  Becton chose poorly.  He should have been the first one at the gates to get in.  he's a goner.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Who on the Jets staff has said he's on "thin ice"?

The Jets are strongly considering drafting his replacement at 4. And Saleh has said repeatedly that he wants guys who love ball and work hard. I’m reading the pretty obvious tea leaves. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

The Jets are strongly considering drafting his replacement at 4. And Saleh has said repeatedly that he wants guys who love ball and work hard. I’m reading the pretty obvious tea leaves. 

so, it's your opinion.  Not a statement of facts.

Got it.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, PS17 said:

One would think that if you’re already on thin ice with the coaching staff, you’d show up to the workouts. Becton is lazy and stupid. 

Becton can't be on thin ice.  He can't be in the doghouse either.   He could be on the trading block if it's a very big block.  

His wife is 8 months pregnant, she has 4 weeks to go.  The birth of his child is not imminent, so lets clear that up.

I get it's voluntary but optics alone should be reason enough for his agent and him to realize he needed to show up.  Not the optics for the fans but for the Coaching staff and front office.  All who have questioned his heart, work ethic and toughness after last years debacle.  This is not a good look for him, Icky at 4 or Penning at 10 and trade Becton for a 2023 pick.

• Upvote 2