Max Mitchell was a STEAL for the New York Jets! | Film Review by The Aussie

Strikes me as interesting that Mitchell played both sides but seemed more comfortable on the right. With two LT’s in Fant and Becton, both of whom have questions - best case has to be everyone plays well but they think Mitchell can step into a starting job, pick one of Fant/Becton to lock up, and flip the other for draft capital.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I just found out the mayor of some town called Smyrna is named Max Bacon so I'm kinda disappointed in Max Mitchell now. 

I went to the diner in Smyrna 3 days ago.  It is in Delaware or Maryland, I forget.   I looked up the town in Google, and it's not really a nice town.  The diner was basic diner food; nothing special, but not bad either.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

In the video, did he call Texas an SEC school?  It's at around 3:05.  I love the Mitchell pick, but Texas was a lousy team this year, maybe their pass rushers sucked?

Next season Texas and Oklahoma will play in the SEC. But during the film, they weren't an SEC team. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You can’t remember what state you were in when you had dinner?

I was driving home from vacation in Virginia, and after Virginia, I was in Maryland and then Delaware before entering Pennsylvania.  I don't remember if I was in Maryland or Delaware when I went to the diner, but I think I was in Delaware.  Anyway, I couldn't forget the name of the town, which was the same name as the diner. Odd name.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, everyone on the OL has to be a ~$20MM/year veteran and/or a new 1st round pick, otherwise the QB will get killed and we won't be able to run the ball either.

No, everyone OL has to be a 5th round diamond in the rough who takes 5 years to develop 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I was saying throughout the entire pre-draft process that the fourth round is a helluva place to draft an offensive lineman. Twenty-something years ago the Jets took Jason Fabini at pick #111, and he started as a rookie and for the next eight years for the team. This is where good teams build their OLs. 

The last 4th Rd lineman the Jets picked was Cam Clark in 2020. 

The dude instant retired 

The 4th round has like a ten percent hit rate if we're being real. 

That's why it's been 20 years in between Jason Fabini's

I like max Mitchell as a backup and development guy but grading them all out. the Jets' line is about 22nd currently. 

The guards are above average, maybe even good, if AVT switches without issue. Fant and McGovern are about average, Becton is a ??? 

Could they be good? Sure. Could they be bad? Yup. What are they right now? Hopefully good enough. They are not even close to the top tier (Philly, KC, LAC, Tampa Bay, CLE, gb, DAL) 

It's a meh group and max Mitchell is a meh prospect. They also could be replacing 2 more starters next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The dude instant retired 

The 4th round has like a ten percent hit rate if we're being real. 

That's why it's been 20 years in between Jason Fabini's

I like max Mitchell as a backup and development guy but grading them all out. the Jets' line is about 22nd currently. 

The guards are above average, Fant and McGovern are about average, Becton is a ? 

Could they be good? Sure. Could they be bad? Yup. They also could be replacing 2 more starters next year. 

The Jets have the 22nd best offensive line including backups? Or Fant - Tomlinson - McGovern - AVT - Becton, the top 5, are 22nd?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Jets have the 22nd best offensive line including backups? Or Fant - Tomlinson - McGovern - AVT - Becton, the top 5, are 22nd?

The model includes 1 backup the swing tackle graded as half a starter 

also the idea of cohesion how much they play together. Laken tomlinsons cohesion is probably artificially low because it is the same system 

The swap of avt their best lineman by far is potential trouble. Teams don't ask their best lineman to change positions 

The Becton situation is a concern 

The offensive line coach also gets a grade and John bentons dui is not inspiring 

The Jets did get better but so did everyone else. The chargers for example have all pro rashawn Slater, all pro Corey linsley and just drafted Zion Johnson 

The Jets players are not all pros or even pro bowl snubs. They are about average. 

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The dude instant retired 

Right, but Clark retiring had nothing to do with his play. He suffered a career ending spinal cord injury. I'm assuming that is just as likely to happen to a guy whether he is picked in the first round or seventh round. Just typical bad Jets luck. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right, but Clark retiring had nothing to do with his play. He suffered a career ending spinal cord injury. I'm assuming that is just as likely to happen to a guy whether he is picked in the first round or seventh round. Just typical bad Jets luck. 

clearly someone with an axe to grind

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Remember when you were telling me that I didn’t understand Joe Douglas, but you did, and an OL was definitely going at #4? Man, those were good times! 

They have an average or better starting OL right now. A healthy Becton is an upgrade over Moses, and Tomlinson is an upgrade over LDT, who himself was an upgrade over GVR. The line is fine. Now they add a solid mid round OL prospect who can play every position on the line but center. They did well here, all they needed was another solid backup. What they needed was playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball, and that’s what they went out and got. Ekwonu does not move the needle for this team the way Gardner, Wilson, and Johnson do. He just doesn’t, and that’s why they passed on him. 

So many underestimate not just those two OL talent upgrades, but the blocking the team gets from the 3 new TEs, plus the backs, plus the team not installing a new base offense/blocking, plus the unlikely repeat of last year's constant changes at WR (I'm not sure we had more than 2 consecutive games with last year's top 3 all starting together: at a glance of injury reports it appears it was only weeks 5, 6, and 10). All of that contributes.

No matter how many times it's brought up & posted, it's like some still refuse to look at how many from anyone else's line cost the team their 1st round draft picks. Two upper-half 1st rounders and 3 legit-starter veterans is hardly scraping the bottom of the OL barrel. A third isn't necessary until it's proven necessary; not because a random fan here or there personally has no confidence in a player the team knows far better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, slats said:

They have an average or better starting OL right now. A healthy Becton is an upgrade over Moses, and Tomlinson is an upgrade over LDT, who himself was an upgrade over GVR. The line is fine. Now they add a solid mid round OL prospect who can play every position on the line but center. They did well here, all they needed was another solid backup. What they needed was playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball, and that’s what they went out and got. Ekwonu does not move the needle for this team the way Gardner, Wilson, and Johnson do. He just doesn’t, and that’s why they passed on him. 

They do not have a top 15 or even a top 20 line currently for the reasons I outlined above. That's hope talking.

Laken and avt literally play the same LG position and even wear the same number. One of these players will be uncomfortable with a switch. 

What you're saying is a best case scenario. A healthy Becton and mims learning to catch are best cases. No nfl team gets their best case, certainly not the Jets. 

As for the draft I have to believe Icky who went 6, was very high on their board. They did not pass on icky for wilson 10 and JJ 26. The choice was between sauce and icky. 

Sauce Gardner probably is a better prospect than icky. I can see that perspective. He's gotta be like a Revis to justify the pick but let's say that happens (another best case) 

But sauce discussion aside, let's not pretend like George Fant is Walter Jones. He's a jag just another guy and so is McGovern. Both are still not in the team's long term plans. Becton is hugely unreliable. Like honestly we don't even know who is playing right tackle for sure. there's at least 2 swaps avt and one of the tackles. 

The leagues best lines know who's starting where. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So many underestimate not just those two OL talent upgrades, but the blocking the team gets from the 3 new TEs, plus the backs, plus the team not installing a new base offense/blocking, plus the unlikely repeat of last year's constant changes at WR (I'm not sure we had more than 2 consecutive games with last year's top 3 all starting together: at a glance of injury reports it appears it was only weeks 5, 6, and 10). All of that contributes.

No matter how many times it's brought up & posted, it's like some still refuse to look at how many from anyone else's line cost the team their 1st round draft picks. Two upper-half 1st rounders and 3 legit-starter veterans is hardly scraping the bottom of the OL barrel. A third isn't necessary until it's proven necessary; not because a random fan here or there personally has no confidence in a player the team knows far better. 

And last year, they picked up Moses in late June. If they still have concerns on the OL, there will be OL available before and after training camp. There’s OL available right now. It would neither surprise nor upset me to see them bring in a new swing/right tackle that they wind up going into the season with. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why ask why 

Try bud dry 

It's doesn't matter why cam Clark retired. What I'm saying is that Fabini is anecdotal and so is cam Clark 

The stats on what round these players come from are what they are. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

And last year, they picked up Moses in late June. If they still have concerns on the OL, there will be OL available before and after training camp. There’s OL available right now. It would neither surprise nor upset me to see them bring in a new swing/right tackle that they wind up going into the season with. 

Sure. And that's the type of move that a 22nd ranked line makes 

The top 10 lines aren't looking for Morgan Moses type signings to bail them out in June 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I think they have to, given how the draft unfolded. It’s also easy to see them addressing LT next offseason if becton isn’t the answer.  They addressed a lot of needs this offseason.