AVT trade 1 year later: Did the Jets "win" the trade?

At this time, do you believe the Jets won the AVT trade?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. At this time, do you believe the Jets won the AVT trade?

• Yes
    • No
    • Because I'm a spineless, fence-sitting coward, I will go with the cop out answer: It's "too early to tell" or "jury is still out"

Who the Vikings took is irrelevant IMO, so it's really a question of whether the Jets would have been better sticking and picking.

AVT had a promising rookie year but given the way this has played out I'd probably lean toward they did not win the trade. It was a lot to move up and for it to really work out AVT needs to be a Zack Martin type player.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

As of now I’ll take the negs and say no. I didn’t hate the urgency at the time because the priority was helping Zach. Zach didn’t really do anything to merit that with hindsight as he struggled about as badly as possible anyway.

He can only justify it by becoming an elite guard. He’s not there yet but you wouldn’t expect him to be. His first season wasn’t exceptionally bad or good.

It was early for a guard to begin with but I certainly can’t justify giving up those picks in a team bereft of talent. Especially as I felt those rounds were deep with players.

No one who says “no” should be negged, because AVT could have a fantastic career and this still end up being a bad trade, largely because it was indeed a looooot to give up to move up for a G.  

Only the fence-sitters deserve scorn!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As a refresher, this was the trade that landed the Jets Alijah Vera-Tucker:

Jets received:

• Pick # 14:  G Alijah Vera-Tucker
  • Pick # 143 (Later traded, netting Jets the players below):
    • S Brandin Echols (2 INT's, 9 PD's)
    • CB Jason Pinnock (2 FFs, 1 PD)
    • DT Jonathan Marshall (4 Games, 1 QB Hit, 1 QB Pressure)

Vikings received:

• Pick # 23:  OT Christian Darrisaw
  • Pick # 66:  QB Kellen Mond
  • Pick # 86:  G Wyatt Davis

In making the deal, the Jets (theoretically at least) missed out on the following notable players who ended up being available at pick 23 (and then later at 66 and 86) and performed well as rookies:

• EDGE Gregory Rousseau - BUF - pick 1.30 (4.0 Sacks, 1 FF, 10 QB Hits, 1 INT, 4 PDs, 8 TFLs)
  • G Jalen Mayfield - ATL - pick 3.68
  • G Landon Dickerson - PHI - pick 2.37
  • RB Najee Harris - PIT - pick 1.24 (1200 yards, 3.9 YPC, 74 catches, 10 total TDs)
  • RB Javonte Williams - DEN - pick 2.35 (4.4 YPC, 43 catches, 7 total TDs)
  • CB Paulson Adebo - NO - pick 3.76 (3 INTs, 8 PDs)
  • DT Osa Odighizuwa - DAL - pick 3.75 (2.0 Sacks, 6 TFLs, 11 QB Hits, 8 QB Knockdowns)
  • WR Rondale Moore - AZ - pick 2.49 (54 catches, 435 yards, 1 TD)
  • WR Rashod Bateman - BAL - pick 1.27 (46 catches, 515 yards, 1 TD)

tumblr_o8m0i0QUuV1vv1frwo8_r1_400.gifv

@GreenFish

@Darnold's Forehead

@DoubleDecker

@Lupz27

I voted "YES" but I honestly don't care if we "won". We got a good player at a position of need with positional flexibility that appears to be on track to at least be a solid starter if not better. so .... sure. we won the trade. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets received:

Vikings received:

In making the deal, the Jets (theoretically at least) missed out on the following notable players who ended up being available at pick 23 (and then later at 66 and 86) and performed well as rookies:

• EDGE Gregory Rousseau - BUF - pick 1.30 (4.0 Sacks, 1 FF, 10 QB Hits, 1 INT, 4 PDs, 8 TFLs)
  • RB Najee Harris - PIT - pick 1.24 (1200 yards, 3.9 YPC, 74 catches, 10 total TDs)
  • DT Osa Odighizuwa - DAL - pick 3.75 (2.0 Sacks, 6 TFLs, 11 QB Hits, 8 QB Knockdowns)

@GreenFish

@Darnold's Forehead

@DoubleDecker

@Lupz27

I'm not sure you can say the Jets "missed out" on any guards when they drafted AVT in the first round.

I'll also take the "big picture view" of the trade and factor in the moves we made this off-season (drafting Sauce,Wilson, Johnson & Hall and signing Tomlinson as a FA) who may be better than the guys we "missed out" on to say we came out on top. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one who says “no” should be negged, because AVT could have a fantastic career and this still end up being a bad trade, largely because it was indeed a looooot to give up to move up for a G.  

Only the fence-sitters deserve scorn!

So for the record, did JD screwed up in 2020 and 21?

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm not sure you can say the Jets "missed out" on any guards when they drafted AVT in the first round.

The thinking there would be they could have grabbed a G later AND gotten additional high pick talent with the other 2 picks.  

So far I’m happy to have him. He wasn’t remarkable as a rookie but he looked like he belonged in the NFL. I have faith he’ll improve and the deal will continue to be worth it. 

I will say, if JD wants a player, he goes and gets him. It was a lot to give up, so truth be told the Jets probably overpaid according to whatever value chart, but I like the player.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No….no?  Even if you could successfully argue the AVT trade was not a net positive, the Elijah Moore pick was pretty rad. 

Elijah was my favorite last year and still rooting for him. But after hearing Corey Davis 

praising Garrett Wilson--I am going to jump the wagon after doubting the pick--needless to say.

Not too upset about it, but no, I don't think they "won".  I never loved the idea of taking an interior OL in the top half of the first, so of course also not trading up to make that happen, particularly for a team with so many needs and the supposed OL expertise of JD, at a position very frequently filled with mid-to-late rounders and solid starters frequently finding their way into FA .

If AVT is a hit, then I'll of course be just fine with it, as this team has done much worse before.  However, I also think his rookie year was a bit over-hyped around here, as while he was not by any measure bad, there were a few of his own whiffs folks were in a rush to blame his lesser-liked teammates (including McGovern repeatedly earlier in the year, before he won back the favor of fans), rather than rightfully putting on him.

It's simply not the kind of move I'd typically be excited about short of it fitting a very specific need for an otherwise well-built team.  However, all that will really matter is how it works out, but I will say the reduction in draft picks that came as a result of the move definitely can't be considered a justification for the Jets yet again needing "one more year" when they chose to so heavily invest, so it's time to put up or shut up.

• Upvote 2

Yes because the 'missing out' argument is pointless and dumb. The only things to evaluate is if the pick panned out to date, lived up to value at the position and if the team could have effectively used the lost assets to become better.

They have 2 out of 3 in my mind. The last one I answer by the draft is a crapshoot and I've changed my mind on trading down to take more lottery tickets in all situations. You need good players and if you think have a 5+ year starter then you get him. You can't even use '7 picks' every year so if you think you can hit on 3 guys each year then use all the rest of your picks to get them if you want. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes because the 'missing out' argument is pointless and dumb. The only things to evaluate is if the pick panned out to date, lived up to value at the position and if the team could have effectively used the lost assets to become better.

Don’t these 2 thoughts run counter to each other though?  The “lost assets” could have been converted into players in the draft they “missed out on”.

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Not too upset about it, but no, I don't think they "won".  I never loved the idea of taking an interior OL in the top half of the first, so of course also not trading up to make that happen, particularly for a team with so many needs and the supposed OL expertise of JD, at a position very frequently filled with mid-to-late rounders and solid starters frequently finding their way into FA .

Makes sense, and this is why it’s not a rousing “yes” for me, even though I voted yes.  

Add to that the thinking that Douglas is deemed to be a bit of an OL guru, so trading up for one rather than finding his gem in the middle rounds is a salient debate as well.  He had to have really, really love AVT in order to make the move.  

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets received:

Vikings received:

@GreenFish

@Darnold's Forehead

@DoubleDecker

@Lupz27

@Morrissey

@RedBeardedSavage

season 2 dont cry GIF