Mosley Is Getting Better As 30 Nears

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This reads like something that a community college newspaper writer writes about the captain of the volleyball team. 

Dunno, I just found it online and it has some interesting stuff in it

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

By Jack Bell

Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley is about to pass the threshold from veteran football player to wise elder statesman when he turns 30 years old on Sunday, June 19. If anything, Mosley is getting older and getting better.

"I'm blessed and honored to still be sitting here and having guys look up to me and to grow as a player and as a person," Mosley told senior team reporter Eric Allen on the latest edition of "The Official Jets Podcast." "I came into this year not satisfied with what I did personally last year. As a team I'm not satisfied with our defense, but I still found ways to improve myself and help everyone get into a better position.

"That's the unique thing about this game. As you get older you think you've seen it all, but there's always something new to this game. It's always evolving, like a game of chess. Each year the offense gets better players and the defense has to find a way to counter that. Last year, I took pride in studying the opposing offenses and when we make a play, we're not just stopping the offense, but the offensive coordinator."

By any measure, Mosley roared back to action in the 2021 season after missing most of two seasons, first because of an injurythat derailed his first go-round after signing as a free agent with the Green & White in 2019, then by opting out of the 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Last year, for me, was more of a proving ground," Mosley said. "I hadn't played in two years and I was really focused on me doing my job, doing the right things every day. Coming to work and providing the right attitude and saving my best speech for Sunday. It meant a lot to me. I'm not a selfish player, but it was me making sure I was doing things the right way. It was really being more vocal, more comfortable being in an uncomfortable situation, whether in the team room on the sideline. Any knowledge that pops into my head, I've been willing to share that."

In 2021, there were few who would have predicted that Mosley would play in 16 games, lead the team with 168 tackles (103 solo), and add 2 sacks, 2 TFL and 3 QB hits. He was an absolute demon from sideline to sideline, the clear leader of the defense.

His professional approach to the smallest detail was not lost on the Jets rookies last season, but particularly impressed running back Michael Carter, who had a pretty decent first NFL season for himself.

"I look up to C.J. [Mosley] and I look to [George] Fant," Carter said recently. "Two OGs who have played in this league for a long while. And they do every single thing the right way. I appreciate them and their professionalism rubs off on me. Here having someone to show me the ropes, and I include TeCo [Tevin Coleman], it's been really cool."

Asked how it made him feel to be called the "OG" by Carter, Mosley said: "That's one thing about the milestone of turning 30. You see the cycle of life change in front of your eyes in the NFL.

"In another side story for me, [CB Rachad] Wildgoose is [Elvis] Dumervil's nephew. I mean I played with his uncle at Baltimore in 2014-15 and now I'm playing with his nephew. And he says that 'I used to watch you when you were at Alabama and I was in middle school.' Middle school? I said what? Every time I hear something like that, it puts it into perspective. It's pretty cool, now it's me and I get to sprinkle around all those things I used to hear, and I find myself always quoting [former Ravens teammate Terrell] Suggs. I feel I can be that person to mentally help bring the players and the team closer. I've seen a lot of football and I've been around a lot of smart coaches and systems."

With OTAs behind him and minicamp up this week, Mosley has gotten a look at the Jets cache of promising rookies -- like WR Garrett Wilson, cornerback Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, edge Jermaine Johnson, and others. And he quickly cleared up any confusion about what he and his teammates call the No. 4 overall pick out of Cincinnati.

"I was laughing when you said his name," said Mosley, who likes what he has seen of the talented corner. "His name is Ahmad. We're not calling him Sauce as a rookie. Once he makes a play, we'll give him Sauce. Sauce is for the fans. He's just pure raw talent."

While Mosley's numbers last season befit a true professional who has been an All-Pro and has played four times in the Pro Bowl, he said that the statistics don't necessarily excite him.

"I don't care how many tackles I made, I just want to win," he said. He added: "I wouldn't say last season was my best. Stats-wise yeah, making tackles can be good and bad. It can show you're being on the field too much. I don't rate my season on tackles."

Some quick hits from Mosley:

• On opening the 2022 season against Lamar Jackson and the Ravens, followed by games against the other three teams in the AFC North: "It's not easy, he's a unique player. We know what kind of plays he can make. The opener at home is going to be an exciting game. I played 4-5 years for Baltimore and the hype is always going to be there. ... I'm used to playing those three opponents year in and year out. It's going to be a test early in the season, the first four. A lot of mistakes can happen for us, we just got to be sure we come out precise and try to play mistake-free football and be a team that can close out games."

• On his partner at LB, Quincy Williams: "I talked to him about his film study As a young player, not that he didn't want to watch, but he didn't know what to look for. I told him if you want to watch together, we got it. I expect him to be more vocal this year now that he's been in the system. He'll be comfortable. I need my partner in crime. It's going to be a great and fun year for him.

• On second-year QB Zach Wilson: "The next step I would say, especially for a quarterback from Year 1 to Year 2 is with recognition, what you're reading and what you're looking at. I think that's the next step for him. He takes care of his body and has the right people in his corner. But when you get on the field, it's always going to be about recognition.

"When you're a rookie, the No. 1 guy and the quarterback, there's pressure all the time. New system, new league, new players. From Year 1 to 2, he's going to be less jittery, he knows the playbook, he knows the players and the system. He'll be more confident. He's seen these things already, seen the formations. In camp, the defense won't take it easy on him, we'll make him uncomfortable being comfortable. In Year 2, you're going to see him make plays with his feet and arm, and taking care of the football.

• On HC Robert Saleh: "When he talks, you listen. We have a really good relationship. I guess I do things well enough that he's not coaching me much. It's pretty cordial, we check on family, a little football talk, crack a joke. He only asks a few things, like 'All Gas No Brake.' If you believe in him, he believes in you. It's really the only thing you can ask."

To sum up, Mosley is a leader, a true professional one who believes that there's "always one little thing you can find to get better at," no matter if you're an over-30 veteran or an eager rookie.

Good read.  Thanks for posting. 

PFF ranked Mosley really low but did he really get that much worse even after the 2 years off?    Possibly a good amount of rust early on but I think his poor individual grade was a function of a porous defense that put him in a bad position to make plays.  Sometimes tough to tackle a back with a 5 yard head of steam through a gaping hole or to cover a TE down the seam without pressure upfront or the safety not in a position to help out.  

I think we’ll get a much better read on Mosley this year.  God help our run defense if he gets hurt!!

• Upvote 2

In fairness, I guess by comparison, he does have a decent chance of turning in a better ROI this year than the one JAG season the Jets have gotten in return for their $35M paid so far.

Just ignore that literally the only reason he's still even on the roster today is because, by opting to get paid $10M in 2020 to do absolutely nothing, it also meant the team was forced to substantially overpay him for yet another year.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

By Jack Bell

Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley is about to pass the threshold from veteran football player to wise elder statesman when he turns 30 years old on Sunday, June 19. If anything, Mosley is getting older and getting better.

"I'm blessed and honored to still be sitting here and having guys look up to me and to grow as a player and as a person," Mosley told senior team reporter Eric Allen on the latest edition of "The Official Jets Podcast." "I came into this year not satisfied with what I did personally last year. As a team I'm not satisfied with our defense, but I still found ways to improve myself and help everyone get into a better position.

"That's the unique thing about this game. As you get older you think you've seen it all, but there's always something new to this game. It's always evolving, like a game of chess. Each year the offense gets better players and the defense has to find a way to counter that. Last year, I took pride in studying the opposing offenses and when we make a play, we're not just stopping the offense, but the offensive coordinator."

By any measure, Mosley roared back to action in the 2021 season after missing most of two seasons, first because of an injurythat derailed his first go-round after signing as a free agent with the Green & White in 2019, then by opting out of the 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Last year, for me, was more of a proving ground," Mosley said. "I hadn't played in two years and I was really focused on me doing my job, doing the right things every day. Coming to work and providing the right attitude and saving my best speech for Sunday. It meant a lot to me. I'm not a selfish player, but it was me making sure I was doing things the right way. It was really being more vocal, more comfortable being in an uncomfortable situation, whether in the team room on the sideline. Any knowledge that pops into my head, I've been willing to share that."

In 2021, there were few who would have predicted that Mosley would play in 16 games, lead the team with 168 tackles (103 solo), and add 2 sacks, 2 TFL and 3 QB hits. He was an absolute demon from sideline to sideline, the clear leader of the defense.

His professional approach to the smallest detail was not lost on the Jets rookies last season, but particularly impressed running back Michael Carter, who had a pretty decent first NFL season for himself.

"I look up to C.J. [Mosley] and I look to [George] Fant," Carter said recently. "Two OGs who have played in this league for a long while. And they do every single thing the right way. I appreciate them and their professionalism rubs off on me. Here having someone to show me the ropes, and I include TeCo [Tevin Coleman], it's been really cool."

Asked how it made him feel to be called the "OG" by Carter, Mosley said: "That's one thing about the milestone of turning 30. You see the cycle of life change in front of your eyes in the NFL.

"In another side story for me, [CB Rachad] Wildgoose is [Elvis] Dumervil's nephew. I mean I played with his uncle at Baltimore in 2014-15 and now I'm playing with his nephew. And he says that 'I used to watch you when you were at Alabama and I was in middle school.' Middle school? I said what? Every time I hear something like that, it puts it into perspective. It's pretty cool, now it's me and I get to sprinkle around all those things I used to hear, and I find myself always quoting [former Ravens teammate Terrell] Suggs. I feel I can be that person to mentally help bring the players and the team closer. I've seen a lot of football and I've been around a lot of smart coaches and systems."

With OTAs behind him and minicamp up this week, Mosley has gotten a look at the Jets cache of promising rookies -- like WR Garrett Wilson, cornerback Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, edge Jermaine Johnson, and others. And he quickly cleared up any confusion about what he and his teammates call the No. 4 overall pick out of Cincinnati.

"I was laughing when you said his name," said Mosley, who likes what he has seen of the talented corner. "His name is Ahmad. We're not calling him Sauce as a rookie. Once he makes a play, we'll give him Sauce. Sauce is for the fans. He's just pure raw talent."

While Mosley's numbers last season befit a true professional who has been an All-Pro and has played four times in the Pro Bowl, he said that the statistics don't necessarily excite him.

"I don't care how many tackles I made, I just want to win," he said. He added: "I wouldn't say last season was my best. Stats-wise yeah, making tackles can be good and bad. It can show you're being on the field too much. I don't rate my season on tackles."

Some quick hits from Mosley:

• On opening the 2022 season against Lamar Jackson and the Ravens, followed by games against the other three teams in the AFC North: "It's not easy, he's a unique player. We know what kind of plays he can make. The opener at home is going to be an exciting game. I played 4-5 years for Baltimore and the hype is always going to be there. ... I'm used to playing those three opponents year in and year out. It's going to be a test early in the season, the first four. A lot of mistakes can happen for us, we just got to be sure we come out precise and try to play mistake-free football and be a team that can close out games."

• On his partner at LB, Quincy Williams: "I talked to him about his film study As a young player, not that he didn't want to watch, but he didn't know what to look for. I told him if you want to watch together, we got it. I expect him to be more vocal this year now that he's been in the system. He'll be comfortable. I need my partner in crime. It's going to be a great and fun year for him.

• On second-year QB Zach Wilson: "The next step I would say, especially for a quarterback from Year 1 to Year 2 is with recognition, what you're reading and what you're looking at. I think that's the next step for him. He takes care of his body and has the right people in his corner. But when you get on the field, it's always going to be about recognition.

"When you're a rookie, the No. 1 guy and the quarterback, there's pressure all the time. New system, new league, new players. From Year 1 to 2, he's going to be less jittery, he knows the playbook, he knows the players and the system. He'll be more confident. He's seen these things already, seen the formations. In camp, the defense won't take it easy on him, we'll make him uncomfortable being comfortable. In Year 2, you're going to see him make plays with his feet and arm, and taking care of the football.

• On HC Robert Saleh: "When he talks, you listen. We have a really good relationship. I guess I do things well enough that he's not coaching me much. It's pretty cordial, we check on family, a little football talk, crack a joke. He only asks a few things, like 'All Gas No Brake.' If you believe in him, he believes in you. It's really the only thing you can ask."

To sum up, Mosley is a leader, a true professional one who believes that there's "always one little thing you can find to get better at," no matter if you're an over-30 veteran or an eager rookie.

Mosley is really 28 in football years after sitting out one season and being injured another.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

On HC Robert Saleh: "When he talks, you listen. We have a really good relationship. I guess I do things well enough that he's not coaching me much. It's pretty cordial, we check on family, a little football talk, crack a joke. He only asks a few things, like 'All Gas No Brake.' If you believe in him, he believes in you. It's really the only thing you can ask."

Sounds like Saleh is all over it!  At least there's "a little football talk", right?

"He's such a meathead"

-Chris Simms

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sounds like Saleh is all over it!  At least there's "a little football talk", right?

"He's such a meathead"

-Chris Simms

Sounds like Saleh knows Mosley is a solid pro, so he doesn't need to coach him up all the time. No need to alienate a guy like that who can help carry your message like a force multiplier to the younger guys.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Mosley was not good last year.  I can't imagine him getting better.

IMO he will be a liability this year.

Yeah a 168 tackle liability

Lets go way over the top with our assessment of a player

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah a 168 tackle liability

Lets go way over the top with our assessment of a player

Those tackles were like all 5 yards down field

Cj mosely sucks in this defense, and last year's defense was the worst in franchise history 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Mosley was not good last year.  I can't imagine him getting better.

IMO he will be a liability this year.

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Cj mosely sucks in this defense, and last year's defense was the worst in franchise history 

Agreed and agreed. The defense was terrible so Mosley was able to rack up a ton of tackles AFTER a player did their damage. He was also horrible in coverage. 

And for some perspective on how far Mosley has fallen.

2015 Mosley- 117 Tackles 13 of those were for a loss. 

2021 Mosley 168 tackles, only 2 for a loss.  

His value at this point is solely as a field general, which is something. It's better than a middling player without his knowledge and leadership. 

• Upvote 3

Mosley is a Businessman.  HE knows that he can be cut easily after this season, and my guess is that he still will want to get paid something after this season.  By someone, does not have to be the Jets.

So, to the Jets' benefit, I would expect Mosley to have a good season this season.  Everyone's interests are aligned.   But JD and the Jets must not be fooled.  Unless they use a supercheap contract that is not guaranteed, they need to let Mosley go after this season.  He is not the future unless he agrees to pay MLB for $4mm or less next season.  

But its not like the pipeline to replace him is great.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

LOL, the old they were 5 yards down field story.  The same thing that was said about Farrior.  And Vilma.  And that jets fans used to scream about Zach Thomas.

I’m with your expert analysis.  Blame the guy on the team making the most tackles with the entire defenses struggles.  It’s amazing how funny this is

Its not all that confusing @Fantasy Island, try thinking it through or reading slowly

• WTF? 1

Yes the D sucked and yeah the tackles weren't for loss every time, but if he didn't make them who tf would have?  Half the games he was the only guy out there flying around making plays.  Was he Junior Seau at 24?  Nope, but was he Neville Hewitt or James Burgess either? Hell no! and that's what we've had for 4 years before this.  Sunk cost, quit bitching.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL, the old they were 5 yards down field story.  The same thing that was said about Farrior.  And Vilma.  And that jets fans used to scream about Zach Thomas.

I’m with your expert analysis.  Blame the guy on the team making the most tackles with the entire defenses struggles.  It’s amazing how funny this is

Its not all that confusing @Fantasy Island, try thinking it through or reading slowly

image.png.f334b1de466a0cc916d559103e447cb4.png

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Far be it from me to rush to @bitonti’s rescue in player assessment but he’s dead-on here.

Mosley was barely ok on balance last year - mostly in comparison to the little else they had at the position, either by talent or experience or both - and too often he just outright sucked, which is ludicrous for $17MM or whatever he he makes per year. He’s visibly slow & late to the play a lot, and what’s crazy is it honestly too often looked as though he doesn’t have veteran instincts that are supposed to make him effectively faster even as his physical speed starts to slow down.

Balancing out his bleh run stopping mostly past the 1st down marker, he also can’t cover at all. I forget the number but completion percentages his way were nearly 90% (with Mosley getting credit for any that were flat-out dropped). No one expects him to cover like an elite man corner, but that means anyone worth a damn running patterns to his zone was all but assured of catching the ball. FFS he was more likely to give up a TD than break up a pass. That’s just awful.

It wasn’t him alone, but he was no small part of the reason the defense was so lousy last year. By the time two guaranteed seasons of salary have gone by, the awfulness of having signed him is on par with Trumaine Johnson’s contract. Except with this one there’s yet another guaranteed season. 

Hopefully it was just shaking off 2 years of rust, because he’s starting again this year if he’s not injured again, but he was not good last year.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Far be it from me to rush to @bitonti’s rescue in player assessment but he’s dead-on here.

Mosley was barely ok on balance last year - mostly in comparison to the little else they had at the position, either by talent or experience or both - and too often he just outright sucked, which is ludicrous for $17MM or whatever he he makes per year. He’s visibly slow & late to the play a lot, and what’s crazy is it honestly too often looked as though he doesn’t have veteran instincts that are supposed to make him effectively faster even as his physical speed starts to slow down.

Balancing out his bleh run stopping mostly past the 1st down marker, he also can’t cover at all. I forget the number but completion percentages his way were nearly 90% (with Mosley getting credit for any that were flat-out dropped). No one expects him to cover like an elite man corner, but that means anyone worth a damn running patterns to his zone was all but assured of catching the ball. FFS he was more likely to give up a TD than break up a pass. That’s just awful.

It wasn’t him alone, but he was no small part of the reason the defense was so lousy last year. By the time two guaranteed seasons of salary have gone by, the awfulness of having signed him is on par with Trumaine Johnson’s contract. Except with this one there’s yet another guaranteed season. 

Hopefully it was just shaking off 2 years of rust, because he’s starting again this year if he’s not injured again, but he was not good last year.

He didnt suck, no matter how many times bitonti says it or no matter what Mac paid him.  Not saying he was all world, just saying he didnt suck and while every tackle was 5 yards downfield was also said about Farrior and Vilma.  After our fanbase dumped them they went onto to became heroes with Pitt and NO.  And lets face it, LBs dont play on the LOS so yes the majority of their tackles are a few yards off of the line of scrimmage.  You dont make 168 tackles and suck.  Throw in some rust and playing a new position, at a new weight and he wasnt the reason why the D sucked.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He didnt suck, no matter how many times bitonti says it or no matter what Mac paid him.  Not saying he was all world, just saying he didnt suck and while every tackle was 5 yards downfield was also said about Farrior and Vilma.  After our fanbase dumped them they went onto to became heroes with Pitt and NO.  And lets face it, LBs dont play on the LOS so yes the majority of their tackles are a few yards off of the line of scrimmage.  You dont make 168 tackles and suck.  Throw in some rust and playing a new position, at a new weight and he wasnt the reason why the D sucked.  

That was going to be my take as well.

He does not suck.   Is he a 17 million dollar difference maker?   Not really, but that is hard to be from the inside LB position where you aren't getting sacks.  With such a young defense you do need some vets out there, trying to get people lined up and doing the right thing.

I fully expect Mose to have a solid season, and if he plays all season that is still better than 2 of his previous 3, so I guess that's improving.  It's not his fault Mac gave him that money, if someone offered to triple my current salary for the next few years, I'd probably change jobs too.