Never thought I'd see the day that.....

Just now, chirorob said:

It's just how old you are.

I hated them like no other in the 80s and 90s.   The mud bowl, the fake spike game, all the things.

I’m 57 lol the first game I went to in 1978 garo yapremian was still their kicker. The Jets owned them until Marino started playing there. And then the Jets owned them again in the late 90’s. The patriots have owned us for over 20 years, consecutively. I mean we’ve lost how many games in a row now? And they ran up the score last year. And the dolphins are hated more? I don’t get it.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It's just how old you are.

I hated them like no other in the 80s and 90s.   The mud bowl, the fake spike game, all the things.

Also growing up in the late 80's early 90's the Dolphins were one of those teams people loved to jump on their bandwagon...always saw lot's of Dolphins gear around NY.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In your favor it’s not like all that Miami owning of us led to them getting to, if not outright winning, the SB every other year over any 20 yr span.

Also outside of the mud bowl, which I’d never forget for the rest of my life even if there was no internet, half the reason for the Marino-era hate isn’t just the (usually futile) matchups twice a year. It’s the further knowledge that the Jets took O’Brien instead.

Well said, and thanks for keeping it short, and to the point.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

We’re close in age, and the fish are easily my least favorite team in the league dating back to their undefeated season and probably a little before. They and the Colts dominated the 70s in the AFCe while the Jets, Bills and Pats spent most of their time placing 3rd or lower. Never hated the Colts nearly the same. Shula was the original scumbag. 

The dolphins haven’t won a Super Bowl in 50 years, almost as long as the jets. The patriots have won 6 and been in 9 or 10 in 20 years lol and it was personal when it started.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, BP said:

I hate the Patriots more than any other team in any sport. What have the dolphins done to the Jets to make them so hated? 

The Marino fake spike, butr mostly the fans. Dolphin fans are so arrogant and annoying constantly over rating their team. At least we know we suck perenially.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BP said:

I hate the Patriots more than any other team in any sport. What have the dolphins done to the Jets to make them so hated? 

Before Brady, when the Cheats had Grogan, Eason and a bunch of other forgettable QB's, they didn't matter that much. But - the Fish were coached by the previous President of the Cheating Coaches Club, a Mr. Don Shula.

As the coaches representative on the board that evaluated refereeing crews in the off season, miraculously, his teams were year after year among the least penalized in the league. Events of note include an evening before a particular playoff game in Miami, he instructed stadium crews to leave the tarps off the field during a monsoon, allowing it to become a swamp, to give his team an advantage. After that incident, this responsibility has been put in the hands of the league officials to avoid its repeat - it was much like that event in Foxboro where a snowplow suddenly appeared on the field before a game winning FG. Add a few players that were easy to hate, during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, they were THE rivalry. 

Other senile delinquents out there - feel free to add to my scattershot historical recollections.

PS: I see that other have already answered while it took me a long time to string together a couple of readable sentences ...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BP said:

It’s called history.  
Dolphins will always be our most hated rival for fans who’ve been a fan from the 80’s on, not just from the early 2000’s. 

• More Ugh 1

54 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Before Brady, when the Cheats had Grogan, Eason and a bunch of other forgettable QB's, they didn't matter that much. But - the Fish were coached by the previous President of the Cheating Coaches Club, a Mr. Don Shula.

As the coaches representative on the board that evaluated refereeing crews in the off season, miraculously, his teams were year after year among the least penalized in the league. Events of note include an evening before a particular playoff game in Miami, he instructed stadium crews to leave the tarps off the field during a monsoon, allowing it to become a swamp, to give his team an advantage. After that incident, this responsibility has been put in the hands of the league officials to avoid its repeat - it was much like that event in Foxboro where a snowplow suddenly appeared on the field before a game winning FG. Add a few players that were easy to hate, during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, they were THE rivalry. 

Other senile delinquents out there - feel free to add to my scattershot historical recollections.

Don Shula.  People think Belichick is a scumbag, Shula was much worse.  Gastineau gets the crowd going with his sack dance at Shea?  As head of the rules committee, outlaw his dance.  As head of the rules committee, cheat by allowing the Orange Bowl to flood and slow down the much faster, elusive skill players of the superior Jet team.  Screw the video taping saga, Shula flooding the field, then refusing to turn on the drainage systems is much worse than anything Belichick could come up with.  Add in Shula was a better HC.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BP said:

You must not have been around in the late 70's and 80's. Miami, not the PATS were our most hated rivalry coming off the Raiders being our most hated. It wasn't until Brady and Belli did our hatred for the PATS eclipse the Phins...

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1